PDA

View Full Version : .300RemUltMag w/860 and 150gr J-boolit

GooseGestapo
01-20-2007, 10:24 PM
After excellent results with the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. (.300RUM) and the 180gr boolits, I tried some 150gr Remington Corlokts over the #860.

I found 110.0gr hit the mark.

It's running over 3500fps (duplicates the discontinued factory load, or slightly faster), and shoots ~1.0" three shot groups at 100yds. My chrono was acting a bit goofy due to low light and low battery so I only got one of three at this charge weight to clock.

An excellent combination rivaling the 180. And unlike some of the bullet/powder changes that gave different impacts, this shot in the same groups with the 180gr bullets, expanding the utility of the rifle to lighter than deer sized game at extended ranges. A "very very" flat trajectory to say the least.

A Federal #215M primer was used with match prepped Remington previously fired brass, partially full length sized.
Temp was about 60deg F., light fading into twilight.
Rifle is a Savage M110 w/26"bbl.

9.3X62AL
01-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Can't shoot those calibers in California......discharge within 1/2 mile of a fault line could set off earthquakes. :-)

Good to hear about another application for this fuel. 110 grains would exactly fill two of my 6.5 x 55 loads using 140 grainers, with similar accuracy--but MUCH less velocity (2475 FPS). With powder weights like that, the price of the stuff really starts to make sense.

georgeld
02-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Got that right Al. Price of powder in that quantity starts becoming a concern!!

Fact is, right now I've got a gun in the makings at the 'smiths to shoot that RUM necked out to .358".

Planning to shoot 250gr thru it. Towsley claims to get 3114fps with his 24", this one will have a 26" so should pick up a bit more speed.

Won't be shooting it too much I know that. Just something I've wanted to have for a long time. A big 35 cal.

Picked up a Douglas blank from another member at a decent price so decided to go ahead with it since the guns been setting here about six yrs waiting on the right time and barrel to come along. Am looking fwd to building this one.

Will have to get a stock turned for it too. Reamer, dies and supplies. Always expensive building one from scratch and having to get all the goodies for it too.