PDA

View Full Version : Sight For Stevens 24

floodgate
01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Guys:

I have a fine Stevens Model 24G, Series N .22LR over 20 ga. (the short model with the ammo trap in the buttstock) which we use as a "farm gun" on rat-coons, bobcats and other predators, and to put down ailing sheep. Most of this is shotgun "point and spray" or close in "between the eyes" work, but I tried the .22 barrel out at 25 - 50 yds at the range the other day, and found the stock open sights (a wide, deep rear "V" and a square blade front) too coarse for the accurate shooting these handy combos are noted for. Can anyone recommend an adjustable open or large-aperture rear sight that can be used in either the existing dovetail or - better - in the tip-off grooves on the upper barrel? The front sight is built into the barrel-coupling band, and I'd rather not have to mess with it. Actually, a hunting aperture mounted toward the rear of the gooves would be just fine for use with a six-o'clock hold, for my purposes. I'd use a low-power .22 'scope, but the instructions advise against firing the shotgun barrel with a 'scope attached - probably due to recoil effects with the very light gun, and I want to be free to select either barrel in a hurry, when I hear a commotion out in the chicken yard. Thanks in advance.

floodgate

MT Gianni
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
My 24 came with the same warning and a cheap noname red dot sight.The 20 gauge has not disrupted the image or point of impact of the red dot sight. It is my first and while I don't really trust a battery operated any thing on a hunting gun it works just fine. Gianni.

versifier
01-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Williams makes one for the m24 that requires you d&t two holes. I put one on mine some years back and it was excellent. The only fly in the ointment was that my 558!!$% brother traded it to a friend of his after I let him borrow it, but that's my problem, not yours! Go for it as it will turn a good rifle into a great one.
NECG makes one that will attach to a scope base, but I know of nothing that will mount on the grooves.

Doughty
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Floodgate,

I put a Williams on mine. Had to drill and tap. Left the sight insert out and fired both rifle and shotgun that way. Also, regarding the front sight, I opened up the part of the band that goes around the shotgun barrel so that it was pretty loose. This helped to minimize the rifle barrel point of impact changing after the shotgun barrel had been recently fired. Kind of like free-floating the rifle barrel.

Antietamgw
01-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Williiams made one in the past (WGRS 24 I believe). It was made to fit the dovetail on the rimfire barrel. Don't know if they still do. I have one one a Savage 24, my first gun. Might keep an eye on the auction sights and gun shows. Good luck!