PDA

View Full Version : Bair Shotshell loaders

Wayne Smith
08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Were they single guage or adjustable to reload muliple guages?

shotman
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
hard to change , and now parts are few and hard to find , feebay has some from time to time but best to leave on the shelf

DLCTEX
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
My first shotshell press was a Bair that I adapted a Mec adjustable charge/shot bar to. I lost it in a fire. The dies could be changed for another gauge, but would be a real pain.

W.R.Buchanan
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
The Bair Loader was the precursor to the now popular Hornaday 366 shotshell loader.

The accepted way to change the gauge is by changing the whole top plate and the shell plate.

Trying to just change the dies would get real old after the first change. It is just too much work.

Even the newer models are best left in one gauge and if you need other gauges you get another loader to do that .

Seagiant is the resident expert on these machines.

Randy

gnoahhh
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a conversion set of dies still in the box for one of these. 16 gauge. If anybody wants them, drop me a line.

seagiant
08-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Seagiant is the resident expert on these machines.

Hi,
Really? Wow! I think I would call it a sickness! Wayne, I started picking these machines up as a hobby. The best advice I can give as far as gauges is to just buy the machine in the gauge that you want. Of course 12 and 20 gauge will be the easiest to find. You will see parts every now and then on E-bay but don't count on it! Here is a link to some history. http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/History.htm

Here is a Deitemeyer 300 made by Bair Machine Co. This is my favorite old loader,built like a tank. Does not have a primer feed of any kind!

varmintpopper
08-22-2011, 02:29 AM
I have an old Bair, "Polar Bair 600", haven't used it in years, it is still set up to re-load Wanda 12ga.
if anyone still remembers that cartridge. intire case was an almost clear plastic with no brass on it at all. I would have to look, But I may still have the instruction manual and all the paperwork that came with it. The thing still looks in pretty good shape. it has collected dust but no rust after all these years.
Good Shooting

Lindy