PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Throating Reamer Question

Char-Gar
08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
When using a throating reamer (Pacific) what do you use for a handle to turn it and if an extension is needed what is used for that. Google seems to have failed me on this.

B R Shooter
08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Pacific sells what they call their Uni-Throater. It comes with a handle, a chamber stop and jamb nuts. It uses reamer bushings to align itself in the bore and the chamber stop centers in the chamber, and you advance/control the depth with the jamb nuts.

They also sell a conventional throater which has none of the extras. You can get reamer extension handles that will work with those.

Char-Gar
08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Yes, I know about the uni-throater from Pacific, but I dont want that much precision or expense for a simple job. I also know you can buy extensions and handles from Pacific.

I would like to use something I already have to turn that thing and extend it is needed. That was the question asked. What to use?

Frank46
08-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I believe that the PTG reamers have a 3/8" square cut on the back end of the reamer. Possibly could use a 3/8" extension from a socket set and breaker bar?. Frank

uscra112
08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
However you drive the thing, you do have to keep the drive end of the reamer concentric, as well as the pointy end. You'll need some sort of guide bushing at the mouth of the chamber, at least.

Canuck Bob
08-17-2011, 03:46 AM
There are handles as many jobs seem to require an extension like my Win 94. The throater is short enough that an extension and handle are required to reach inside the receiver. Rental reamer companies advertise them for rent.

I plan to remodel some tubing and use a cross bolt. Just a plan and not actually attempted yet.

Char-Gar
08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
It is interesting that nobody has yet answered the question. They have told me what I know, but have not told me what I do not know.

What type of handle is used to turn this thing and what type of extension is used? Are these special tools or is there something I can buy at the hardware store if I don't already have one.

dragonrider
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
A tap handle usually.

John Taylor
08-18-2011, 12:14 AM
PTG sells an extension drive handle that works good on bolt guns, don't know if it will work on a lever gun. Some of the reamers have a tapped hole 1/4"X28 that an extension can screw into.

plainsman456
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I have used a drill bit extension to throat a 243 that I have been playing with.
On the end of it I used a tap handle to turn the throater.

Char-Gar
08-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I want to throat a Remington 141 in 30 Remington. It has no throat to speak of, just a bevel at the end of the chamber. The only way it will accept a cast bullet is if there is no body sticking out of the case. The 141 is a take down rifle and with the receiver off, the reach to the rear end of the chamber is about 5 3/4 inches. I figure that will require an extension.

I am just trying to figure out the cheapest way to get this done. I have yet to find a reamer rental place with also has handles and extensions for rent. I hate to buy a reamer, handle and extension for just one job and probably just use it once. I only have $200.00 in the rifle.

nfg
08-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Do it the easy way...You can rent a throater AND extension handle from Reamer Rentals or 4D reamer rentals and not have to buy one. Both are about 9" long. Including the throater length you will have plenty of lenghth to handle throating through the action.

EVERY reamer maker or gunsmithing supply house has extensions handles for sale and you can make of out of a piece of 3/8" steel rod with a 1/4 x 28 X 1/2" end section and a 3/16" Tee handle . ANY machine shop can turn the 1/4 x 28 section for a nominal fee...it takes about 10 minutes including setup time if you bring them the steel piece.

You can do the whole thing by hand with a 1/4 x 28 die and use a 1/4" piece of steel.

...OR...even easier...you can buy a 18"-36" piece of 1/4 x 28 allthread at a machine shop or steel supply store OR online and make a handle out of just about ANY material and some epoxy...it isn't brain surgery.

I bought an extension handle 40 odd years ago along with the guides and a 25 cal throater from JGS...I've used the same extension handle many times since on many rental reamers from different suppliers.

DON'T use a drill to drive the throater...you will probably break the throater and gouge the throat....just turn it by hand...

Luck