PDA

View Full Version : first C&R K-31

singleshotbuff
01-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Gentlemen,

I ordered a Swiss K-31, 7.5X55mm from SOG and finally got it from brown on thursday. WHAT A NICE RIFLE!! The fit and finish rivals any commercial gun I have ever seen! The barrel is even free floated under the forend wood, with contact only at the breach and muzzle. The bore is pristine new, and I even found the tag under the buttplate with the soldiers name (in swiss) that was originally issued the rifle.

Went to a gun show today and bought 2 boxes of Prvi Partizan ammo (boxer primed brass :-D ) for $10/box. Couldn't wait to fire the new toy when I got home today, but since it was 20 degrees and windy, I only shot 1 box.

I fired 10 rounds offhand just to get a feel for the rifle and trigger (a GREAT trigger too). Then, I fired 10 rounds from a half-a$$ rest at 50 yards, only resting the forend on the rest and just holding the butt.

Even in the bad conditions, and with my half-hearted attempt (it was cold and I shot FAST, mostly to get the brass for reloading) I was rewarded with a 10 shot group of about 2"!! Best of all, POI is POA.

I am tickled chitless. I think this one will be a shooter! I can't wait to try refined ammo under better conditions. The bolt operates SO SMOOTH. I think this one is a keeper.

Not bad for $129.00

Just had to gloat [smilie=1:

SSB

KirbyAUS
01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi SSB,
congratulations on buying the finest of the Military Surplus rifles in existance !

My K31 was purchased many years ago here in Australia, before a small amount were imported by a interstate dealer.

The guy that owned my K31 was himself Swiss, living in our city and fortunately for me decided to sell his outstanding rifle. This also has the last soldiers details under the buttplate.

Ammo and 7.5x55 brass was unobtainable for quite a few years and I had to modify .284 winchester brass to shoot it.
During the last couple of years 7.5x55 brass manufactured by Priv Partisan has been imported "Downunder".

I have regularly used my K31 in "mililitary / Service Rifle" competitions with great success.
The rifle displays excelent sights, balance and just plain shootability that no other can duplicate.

I imagine you and I and all the other lucky K31 owners on the planet will continue to enjoy this superb piece of the gunmakers art.

With regards,

Kirby.

Ken O
01-20-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a couple of them, they are great rifles. The GP11 ammo is match grade, probably the first VLD style bullet, and even the old stuff is non-corrosive and very inexpensive. It does have a Berdan primer, but that is no problem, just pick up some berdans and reload.
The throat in these rifles being designed for the VLD, so the blunt bullets have to be seated deep.
You might want to go Swiss Rife Forum (http://p090.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm1) and ask about your tag, there are knowledgeable people that will help decode it.

mag_01
01-20-2007, 11:51 PM
---Enjoy ur new K-31 I love mine--They sure are a well built and fun gun-----been using IMR-3031 as a boolit propellant.---Enjoy---Mag

MtGun44
01-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Excellent rifles. One weird thing tho - near zero throat. Couldn't
figure it -- how in the world does the factory ammo work when my
handloads would hit the lands at pretty short seating??

The factory bullets are .300" fwd of the cannelure and .308" aft
of the cannelure! Also neither mine shoots the Swiss ammo
better than 3" at 100 yds, even with extensive 'screw fiddling'.

Try 49.0 H4831SC under a 168 Sierra Matchking for a super
match load. See pic. I added a 2-7X scope on a mount that
replaces the rear sight leaf without damaging the rifle. You
might need to go even 0.020" shorter on LOA in pic if you
get failure to fire from bolt not seating the last tiny bit due to
hitting the lands in the non-existant throat.

I am waiting for the group buy 311291 to start using cast in mine,
and expect great things with the ultra smooth bore and the
great reputation of the 311291.

Anybody using 311291 in the K31?

Bill

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I'll be using 311291 in mine when the group buy comes in. I've had good luck with the .30 HBC bullet (and also found loads that will spray that boolit all over the planet.) I've got some "soup cans" and a six hole mould for them, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Lately I've been hung up on casting and loading for 8x57, .44 Special and Magnum, and 7.62x54R. I've loaded up some Swiss with 168 grain Golden West spitzer boattail jacketed bullets I got a few years back from Jeff Bartlett, and with a full load of 7383 they closely match the GP-11 and Prvi Partizan 174 grain SP loads for velocity and accuracy.

singleshotbuff
01-22-2007, 12:50 AM
I should have ordered 2 for the price LOL.

Richochet,

What charge of 7383 are you using with the 168gr bullet? I now have about 5lbs of that powder, and plan to buy more from pat's reloading.

This is a fantastic rifle! I can't wait to try cast in it.

SSB

Ricochet
01-22-2007, 11:30 PM
My load of 7383 with the 168 grain bullet is a 4.0 cc Lee dipper, struck off level with a knife blade.