PDA

View Full Version : Need instructions to learn how to swage.

roverboy
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I wondered if anybody knew where to find on the web how to swage bullets. I've found a set of .30 cal. Corbin dies but, don't know anything about using them. I can get a good deal on these but, before I buy I need to know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help.

Utah Shooter
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I am unsure if I have ever seen a video about swaging .30 cal but I have seen plenty on some other calibers. Check out this link. http://ammosmith.com/bullet-casting-and-swagging/index.php Hope it helps a bit.

Oh what style are they as well? M or S?

roverboy
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Utah Shooter. It should help me some. What do you mean by M or S style? See, I told you I didn't know anything.

GRUMPA
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Click on this link roverboy:

http://www.swage.com/ftp/tools.pdf

Utah Shooter
08-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah that is a great link. You may need a press to go with those or may be able to use your reloading press. I am unsure though if Corbin made these .30 cal for a reloading press.

Either way great find.

MIBULLETS
08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't believe they did, but maybe.

Smokin7mm
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Richard Corbin of RCE has his swaging book on his website with downloadable chapters. Here is the link:

http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=RBSBook

Hope this helps
Bret

MightyThor
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
You could check my sticky thread on making 22 cal bullets. The process is really not much different for larger calibers. You get to skip the whole jacket making process and just go with the core making, core seating, bullet formation and bullet pointing if you have the dies for that last step. There is also info available from some of the bench rest sites. Many of those folks prefer to shoot 30 cal and lots of them make their own. My thread presumes that you are going to make jacketed bullets. There are lots of 30 cal stuff that use half jackets and/or just gas checks, so a little depends on what bullets you expect to make.

BT Sniper
08-16-2011, 10:49 PM
The "helpful links" thread should help.

Swage On!

BT

FTF
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I wondered if anybody knew where to find on the web how to swage bullets. I've found a set of .30 cal. Corbin dies but, don't know anything about using them. I can get a good deal on these but, before I buy I need to know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help.

Well, by all means be SURE to buy these dies, BEFORE investing one penny or 15 mins of time into any of the OTHER areas of SWAGING.

I have yet to SWAGE anything, but do have a sizeable investment of both money and time in the INTENT/ATTEMPT to do so. The one thing that is almost impossible to get, is any kind of Tooling/Dies. The few sources for these are Covered up for literally YEARS of VERY IMPORTANT WORK, (All more important work than whatever they agreed to furnish you, in two weeks) when they sold you whatever they did have in stock. You will be very lucky if most of them can even "Remember" that they were "Supposed" to make anything for you, much less "What" it was.

So BUY the dies, NOW. And IF for some reason you don't go ahead with it, by all means contact me, and I will happily take them off your hands, simply to have a "Pattern" of how these particular tools are made. IF I EVER do get my hands on a set, to look at, then I won't have a problem making what I need, not to mention that I MIGHT LIVE long enough to actually Swage something that way.

MIBULLETS
08-18-2011, 12:13 AM
If you can get a picture of them, we might be able to help you more. Or at least what type of Corbin die they are. Most likely they are M or S dies, but they could be H dies too.