PDA

View Full Version : old dial indicators.

Ernest
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi,
As an incurable and I mean incurable accumulator of stuff I bought a an old tool chest that contained 7 old starret dial indicators. They all seem to be in working order but the dial covers are yellowed with age on 4 or 5 . One is missing the dial cover.

Does any one have advice on the best way to replace the covers. I assume that starret will overhaul them but I'm afraid the cost will be more than they are worth.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

deltaenterprizes
08-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Long Island Indicator Repair can do it and will charge about $25 including the part. Finding the part may be difficult.

elk hunter
08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Ernest;

Starret makes good tools and they are most likely worth a few dollars to have cleaned and repaired right. The parts are or used to be available, I haven't bought any in about five years, directly from Starret, but it will require a few tools and some knowledge to replace the crystals. I would suggest sending them off to someone who does indicator repair, "Long Island" is one place, so they can be cleaned and checked.

Ernest
08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=elk hunter;1365855]Ernest;

Starret makes good tools and they are most likely worth a few dollars to have cleaned and repaired right. The parts are or used to be available, I haven't bought any in about five years,

Thanks I called Starret today. I think I will just send them all to Starret and have them give me an estimate to spiff up. They sure look and feel nice, so much better that the Chinese stuff.

I guess I have to decide at what price point are they worth refurbishing with the hope being that really all they need are new crystals.