PDA

View Full Version : PP fun

jagdkampf
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, after accumulating the necessary tools. I've set out on my PP journey. The first trial was pretty much a wash. I was using 165 sil. boolit sized down to .301 with 2 wraps of 24# printer paper then run through a .309 sizer. I couldn't get it to work. Kept tearing the paper off as it went through the sizer regardless of lubed or unlubed. I switched to green bar printer paper...same result. Finally, I used some EKG paper . I got it through the sizer and it came out at .309 bad news was that it wouldn't hold together down the bore. Boolits wouldn't stabilize and were going through the target sideways at 25 yd. also was leading the bore very badly. Sigh.... Went back to green bar printer paper but used a little white glue in the water before wrapping. They made it through the die intact but the paper was being torn when I seated them in the case. I made a die to slightly bell the case mouth prior to seating. That solved the tearing problem. Good news is that the boolits are going through the paper at 50yd pointy end first, no barrel leading; bad news is that accuracy is not there. I am going to try a different bullet (lee 180gr RN) and some different powders and see if I can get better accuracy. This PP stuff is intriguing but I'm thinking I might need some magic fairy dust to sprinkle on the bullets.
Randy

303Guy
08-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Hee hee! Been there, done that!:mrgreen:

I don't size my cases. Instead I size the boolits to seat snugly in the unsized neck. I start the boolit into the case mouth by hand using a twisting motion until they are too tight to seat further then use the press to finish the seating.

However, I still have work to do on my patching and loading so what I do isn't necessarily the right way or best way. I did get something resembling a group at 100m at 2250fps with my Brit.

pdawg_shooter
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Think maybe your paper is a bit thick. Two wraps of 24# will add about .016 to the bullet. When you run through a .309 size you are sizing the bullet down below bore diameter. Try some 16# paper.