PDA

View Full Version : Inline seater sleve question

JJC
08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
The sliding inline seater is swaging the nose of my boolits. How would you guys open up the nose? Or fill it like a top punch with epoxy and make it a flat? I'm leaning towards the flat but not sure. Thanks John

08-14-2011, 03:39 PM
What brand?

For Lyman Precision Alignment and Hornady New Dimension dies, I use 400-grit wet/dry paper. Since the Lyman dies come with the appropriate seater stem to match the boolit's nose profile, nothing needs to be done to it. However, with Hornady dies, I apply hot melt glue to the stem, so the nose doesn't get marred.

JJC
08-14-2011, 04:41 PM
It's for a Hornady sorry wasn't specific. So you just fill up the cavity with hot glue to a flat? Or do you put a release (vasaline?) and press the boolit nose into it?

PacMan
08-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I use the Redding seater and i filled mine with JB Weld making sure i had a little to much to allow for shrinkage and then sanded flat. If you intend to use different bullets with different nose profiles that is the best way to go.
I did not have much luch with the Hornady dies as they were not large enough for the dia. bullets that i use.The body of the die was to small and the die would contact the bullet before it ever got to the seating stem and there it would lodge.

08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
" Or do you put a release (vasaline?) and press the boolit nose into it?"

That's the way I do it. Use glue for an easy change to a different boolit nose profile, and J B Weld for a permanent set up.

JJC
08-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Will do thanks

JJC
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Overthinking like I know how: I put a short 2x4 on the bench. Plumbed and leveled the stem, filled it with hot glue then proceded to bump the 2x4. So much for precision. that being said it worked great thanks.