PDA

View Full Version : M die powder thru feature ??

milprileb
08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I load on a progressive press. Is there a M Die that I can mount
my Lee Pro measure onto so I M Die condition the case as well as powder charge the case?

Thank you.

08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, there is. Check Lyman's web-site.

FWest
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I have one, it's not automatic. Fixed like the regular M die but hollow.

milprileb
08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
This on Lyman web site: it does not say its a M die: see below

Multi-Expand Charge Die System
Designed to save the pistol reloader time. The hollow expanders allow you to expand the case and drop powder at the same time with your powder measure mounted on top. Fits all standard powder measures.
Includes expander body, hollow expanders for .32, 9mm, 38/.357, l0mm/40 S&W, .41, .44 and .45 plus a non-expanding universal powder drop tube.

WEIGHT: 12 oz | ITEM NUMBER: #7767901 | PRICE: $34.95

UNIQUEDOT
08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
This on Lyman web site: it does not say its a M die: see below

Multi-Expand Charge Die System
Designed to save the pistol reloader time. The hollow expanders allow you to expand the case and drop powder at the same time with your powder measure mounted on top. Fits all standard powder measures.
Includes expander body, hollow expanders for .32, 9mm, 38/.357, l0mm/40 S&W, .41, .44 and .45 plus a non-expanding universal powder drop tube.

WEIGHT: 12 oz | ITEM NUMBER: #7767901 | PRICE: $34.95

That die won't work with the Lee measure that you have and besides it is basically the same thing as the powder through expanding die that you are already using except that it is for standard measures and has interchangeable plugs. I had the same problem when i used a pro 1000 so i bought a loadmaster to solve the problem since it has a station for the (M) die.

milprileb
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking and thanks for making that perfectly clear Sir !

Frozone
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Contact lathesmith.
He can make you a copy of the LEE insert to match the M die specs and you'll have the best of both worlds. Price is right too.

MikeS
08-15-2011, 05:15 AM
I have one of the Lyman Multi-Expand Charge Die setups, and I like it. I don't use progressive presses, or automatic powder measures, so it works fine for me. The expanders that it comes with are in fact the same dual diameter expanders like the M dies. It's really designed for reloading pistol cartridges, but the 32AR expander that it comes with works perfectly for 30 caliber rifle cartridges (when using a .311 boolit, not a .308 one, but I guess it would work for smaller boolits, would just expand a bit much)

Alan in Vermont
08-15-2011, 08:31 AM
The expanders that it comes with are in fact the same dual diameter expanders like the M dies.

I was going to ask about that. The dual diameter expanders are light years ahead of the tapered ones. With the dual diameter you don't get a funnel on the case mouth if you get a long case. Granted you should be trimming uniformly but when I load wadcutters in 38 cases that will be going in a 357 chamber I don't worry about case length as I'm not crimping them.