PDA

View Full Version : scrap jackets and powder ?

mac1911
08-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I came across a bucket that had a stainlesssteel wire mess basket inside. I been useing to sort the smallest rocks and sand from the range lead I pick up.
Now last night I was smelting down the indoor range lead and said hmmm
I then took the jackets and trash and scooped it of into this bucket.

I placed the lid on rolled it around a bit and now I have jackets sorted from the mess. Now the powdery stuff left behind(screen is about the size of #8 bird shot) weighs more than the jackets. Is this something that could be worth anything ?

clodhopper
08-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Wonder if it's copper plating, like on .22 bullets. I have found the same heavy black powder when meltng indoor range scrap.
The range has a steel backstop, next time, I will see what a magnet will do to that stuff.

mac1911
08-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I ran out of time, started raining. I am going to take a magnet to the jackets and the powder.
hope the scrap guy will give me something. I had to do the dirty part anyway now lets hope I can at least get a fre pennies out of it

lwknight
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
No one ever gets all the lead out of the dross and crud that gets tossed. Just depends how far you want to go to get the last drop. I have a few hundred pounds than could be refined into a lot of lead but man what a job!

clodhopper
08-14-2011, 11:52 PM
No one ever gets all the lead out of the dross and crud that gets tossed. Just depends how far you want to go to get the last drop. I have a few hundred pounds than could be refined into a lot of lead but man what a job!

I did some refining of dross last winter, a hunts spagetti sauce can full of dross with a hole punched in the bottem. Placed in the wood stove with a good fire in the evening. before starting a fire in the morning, fished some real cool ingots out.
They look like modern art, but more beautiful because they are made out of lead and have some use.
It was easy, but most you bullet casters do not have the woodstove technology in your living room.

mac1911
08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Im not so much interested in the lead, more of trying to get a few pennies for the copper.
Do you think the powder could be copper from the jackets. Its heavy, but does not seem lead heavy.

DukeInFlorida
08-15-2011, 07:45 AM
It's probably sand dust. Just toss it in some safe manner.

clodhopper
08-15-2011, 11:29 PM
There is no sand at my indoor range.

lwknight
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Some of the lead practically vaporizes on impact with a steel backstop and a good bit of it liquifies. The spray will build up around front of the stop and if its angled down it will collect nicely so that you can scrape it up. It will be like anything from powder to sand or clumps of conglomerate. Its still all lead except for the copper and brass jackets.

mac1911
08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Ok the powder and jackets are from a indoor range very little sand. The powder is the bulk of the stuff removed after smelting down the lead thats collected in the catch bin at the bottom of the back stop. This stuff is heavy but not as heavy as lead. I put it on the burner to see if any more lead cam out. I got a few drops....
Is there a chemical I could apply to see if its copper ?

lwknight
08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Cou7ld be lead oxides then. Its a lot of trouble to save but not impossible.
I would not mess with it till I had nothinhg better to do.