PDA

View Full Version : lee perfect powder measure

TasunkaWitko
01-20-2007, 03:12 PM
i am strongly leaning toward getting one of these. i have read dozens of reviews, good and bad. it seems that good good outweigh the bad and the bad can be dealt with rather easily.

any comments on this product? anyone have one that they want to get rid of? midway is offering them for 19$, which seems to be a good price, but as usual, if i can save a dollar or two getting one from a member, that's preferable. i've got a house to pay for, ya know!

454PB
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
This is about the only one of the many Lee products I have that I don't like. It leaks badly when using fine ball powders, and I've spent a lot of time trying to adjust it so it won't.

mooman76
01-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I have one and like it ok but not great. Never used it with ball powder. The couple things I didn't like are the lid should lock in place and the opening the powder flows through can be partially closed, open or fully closed and there is no way to tell with it full of powder in case it moves some. I fixed that myself by marking the container but I think it also should have a way to lock in so it doesn't move. One time I was loading powder into brass and I must have moved it some on accident and all of a sudden no powder. These are minor things but I think lee could correct them easy enough. In the long run for the money I think it is worth it.

13Echo
01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I have one and it leaked ball powder when new. I fixed it by lapping the cone of the drum and body together using some OOO pumice that I use for cleaning really dirty old stocks with a touch of oil. I smeared a very thin film of oil on the cone with a finger and dusted the pumice on with a small brush to get a very thin coating. Reassembeled the measure and worked it through many cycles, cleaned the parts and repeated about 3 times. Took maybe 30 minutes. The parts now fit very closely, move smoothly, and do not leak even fine ball powder. It doesn't hurt to use a bit of powdered mica or graphite on the mating surfaces as dry lube. When it behaves it is actually quite a good measure, certainly worth the price.

Jerry Liles

twotoescharlie
01-20-2007, 04:57 PM
been using one of these for over 4 years, no problems. like the lee dies, reading the instructions will solve most of the problems.

TTC

BigDaddie
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree with 2 toe,

I have 2 of these measures and they work really well if u set them up properly. The instructions say u should run a pound of powder thru em before u start throwing charges. THis coats the cone and cylinder with graphite. I originally had trouble with win748 in it but that was because I hadnt run the thrower in. It now meters it perfectly.

THey are also easy to calibrate. Set it on 1cc and throw a number of charges and weigh them. U can then calculate the required CC for your powder. The table provided with it isnt that accurate.

MT Gianni
01-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I have duct tape on mine to hold the lid on. WC820, Win296, H110 all leak like a seive around the sides. In my experience the charts as to how to adjust it are no more that a big ballpark figure. It is a useful tool and if mine died I would replace it but it might not be the same week it broke. Tasunka try the Lee surplus sight or e=mail to see if they have factory 2nds. Gianni.

TasunkaWitko
01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks for the comments so far, guys - please keep em coming! as far as i am concerned, the more the better. for those with some problems, this link below might help. also some of these rplies seem to address many problems.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=540522

gianni - where in SW montana? i'm up in chinook. we're finally geting some snow today, but it is always cold and usually windy!

twoworms
01-20-2007, 08:23 PM
I have two of them and use them both one for rifle loads the other for smaller chargers pistol and so one. I have put away my RCBS, and I can do better with the Lee's.

Tim

Swagerman
01-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Tasunkawitko, its your money, spend it anyway that pleases you. But if you are really looking for opinions that are based on experience -- the Lee powder mesures are not as good as you hope they will be. Like some have mentioned, some powders just don't work well. The equipment is made of plastic and aluminum, its not built for heavy duty quanity.

Getting by on the less expensive stuff just to save a few bucks will not gain you any quanity production reloading in the long run.

But the unit is cheap enough that you can learn by experience if you need to go that way.

Most of us probably had to try them too. And there will be guys who say its never failed them, but it did me. I dumped all my Lee powder measure gear.

However, I do like Lee reloading dies, Lee Classic presses.

Jim

shooter575
01-21-2007, 12:55 AM
I have one that I use for BP with small case loads. Works great. I dont worry much about the lid as I dump out the powder after a session.I also marked mine to show open/closed Of all the measures I have tried with black this one is the only one that I never needed to tear apart to clean

Dale53
01-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I really like the Lee Disc Powder measures. The Pro disc is well worth the extra money. It is MUCH easier to change discs. I have several and they do NOT Leak for me (or leak so little that it is a non-issue). I use ball powder in my magnum revolvers (wC820) and that stuff is the finest powder that you will find.

I hold the cover on the powder hopper with a strip of scotch tape. I also write the powder identity on a small piece of business card that I include INSIDE the powder hopper where I can see it (safety first). I leave my powder in the measure in between bouts with the turret press unless I am "finished" with that cartridge. I reload in the basement and have a central air system, so I don't have humidity problems.

Dale53

Tom W.
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
I managed to acquire two through trades and got rid of both of them quickly. They were a headache!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm with Dale53. I'd go with a Lee Pro Auto Disk if I wanted to save money and select powders that it meters well. It's not much more expensive and it's a real nice measure.

Dave

MT Gianni
01-21-2007, 04:01 PM
thanks for the comments so far, guys - please keep em coming! as far as i am concerned, the more the better. for those with some problems, this link below might help. also some of these rplies seem to address many problems.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=540522

gianni - where in SW montana? i'm up in chinook. we're finally geting some snow today, but it is always cold and usually windy!

I moved to Whitehall this past summer after 20 years in Missoula. Shot some lopers in Chinook a few years back and still want to take the drive and the ferry from Lloyd to Lewistown. Gianni.

Safeshot
01-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I also like the Lee Disk Powder Measure better. It is fast and there is no setting to slip or change while you are using it.

PatMarlin
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
This is about the only one of the many Lee products I have that I don't like. It leaks badly when using fine ball powders, and I've spent a lot of time trying to adjust it so it won't.

Ditto.

C A Plater
01-27-2007, 12:22 AM
I have a "perfect" measure and only use it for IMR stick powders because it doesn't cut the grains. For that it's fine as I throw light charges and trickle up to exact weight. Leaks badly with fine ball powders and while ok with flake type, my Lyman 55 gets all the others that don't go through my Bullseye pistol measure. It feels cheap and flimsy too.

georgeld
01-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I've got at least four of them. One for each powder I use.

Like you others I've fought the leakage with fine ball powders.
I also have a auto disk set up for small charges and like it swell for those. Not much leakage with that IF I'm careful. But, I'm butter fingers so get powder spilled if there is any open.

I really like the accuracy and ease of setting the perfects, but, they are NOT perfect. I've never had a problem with them losing accuracy once they're adjusted and firmed up.

I put a light colored wide tape over the lid and mark the powder and charge on it.

I've tried several other older measures and never found any I liked as well as these.

I do want to get a good pistol measure, but, haven't decided on which one to get yet that I can afford.

I load by the thousands at a time, usually in batch's. Many times close to half a five gallon bucket per batch. I shoot over 1000 .38's a week and twice that in the summer.

.223's by the two gallon buckets full for p/dog's. I have over 8 gallons of .223 brass, about half those are loaded and the others are in process.

I also trim each time thru. Fire, clean, resize, trim, tumble til smooth, then prime and load, then a final polish with corn after loading.

Of course I don't polish cast loads.

blackhawk44
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I like Lee, but for powder measures go RCBS, Hornady or Redding and be done.

Ed Barrett
02-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I've been using Lee powder measure for quite a few years. broke an RCBS in a move and replaced with a Lee and have not had a bit of problems. I don't use ball powders so I don't know about the leaking.

MT Gianni
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Ed B, I'm sure that you know a phone call to RCBS will get you whatever parts are broken at no cost to you. If it needs to be repaired in their shop you are out 1 way postage. It is a great warranty. Gianni.

brimic
02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
For me, the LPPM works far better than the RCBS Uniflow on IMR and other extruded powders, for everything else I use the RCBS measure. FWIW, the LPPM looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap, but I haven'tfound a betetr measure for IMR powders yet.

Ranch Dog
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I have all the Lee Powder dispensers and just haven't had problems with it. I've been able to adjust the drum to work with any of the powders I need to use.

Swamprat1052
02-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I have been using a Lee Perfect for extruded powders for years. It doesnt work well for ball powders, but doesnt try to cut grains of extruded powder so I get more consistant charges with it. I have it and an RCBS set up on my bench all the time. I use an RCBS for ball powders and the Lee for extruded, works real good for me. For the price you cant beat it. Shooting rifles I use mostly extruded, for the pistols I use mostly ball.

Swamprat

texas tenring
02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I've had one for years and not a single problem. I agree it does feel cheap and flimsy and I always wanted to get me a nicer one. I talked my Dad into buying a Redding because of everything I had read about them. When he got his we ran a test and My Lee measures just as accurate or more on some powders. The Lee does not cut the large stick powders.

Maybe I just got lucky with mine? but like a lot of other Lee products it works and is well worth the money.

Just my 2 cents worth.

P.S. I'm still dreaming about a Harrell benchrest measure!!!

PatMarlin
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
That sums up some of Lee's gear pretty well.

Take the "Safety Scale" for instance. Many folks think it's a *** out of the box when it's really a far superior powder scale in many respects. The biggest benefit is you CAN'T bump it out of measurement.

I've got an expensive Redding beam scale and if you breath on the damn thing, it will knock your powder measurement off without even noticing and that is dangerous.

Lee's scale is accurate- no more, and no less as the Redding, and is a safe scale. Set the slider and it will not move. Knock it over and you're a way obvious 10 grs plus at least out, and it won't balance.

GSPKurt
02-08-2007, 09:09 PM

:( +1 with 454PB. :(

Jon K
02-09-2007, 01:54 AM
+2 w/454pb,

I had 2 of them, first one I tried to use for powder- leaked- tried to fix, no luck, seal wears, and all the tightening and cursing won't fix it. Tried the second one for PSB filler, figured brand new the seal would work better and the PSB might leave a residue and help sealing, big mistake, hadn't learned from the first one, too hard headed, had to try a second one. PSB leaks worse than ball powder. Learned my lesson now, need I say more? Well, yeah, I will -"Buy cheap, you get cheap!"

texas tenring,

Harrell's New Premium Powder measure- All I can say is WOW! Love the click stop adjustments, Got it w/ both powder reservoirs. Buy it and you'll never look back. Harrell's will send it to you, and not even ask for payment until after you've tried it, or send it back.

The Premium does not have the fancy anodized finish on the housing, and is less money, and the bearings are so smooth, check out the specs@ Harrellsprecision.com, or on Buffaloarms.com

VTDW
02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Like Ranch dog I am a Lee nut. BUT the LPPM I have is just not consistent enough for me. When I want 1/10 grain measurements consistently the LPPM just does not deliver consistently. Mine will deliver for 5-6 charges perfectly and then go haywire for two or three charges but maybe it is just me and my methods:-? I will stick with my RCBS ChargeMaster Combo.

Dave

jeff223
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
i have two of these Lee measures and they both leak some but both measure to my likings.i cant bring myself to spend the extra dollars for an upgrade powder measurer when these work so good

i load for the 221 fireball,223,6.5x55swede,7-30waters,7mm mag,30-30,30-06,357max,35 whelen AI and the 445 supermag and the Lee measures never seem to fail.

Diamond-City-Bob
02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
It seems flimsy, I've had it bind up one time with ball. The price was right and after 12 years it's still accurate, come to think of it it leaks with ball powder but not bad enough to make me want to pitch it. I like my RCBS and my auto disc better
YMMV
Bob
Check out eBay there are several listed now with prices at about 35+- with shipping.

rbstern
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I find the Perfect powder measure is very easy to use with extruded powders. I prefer it to the RCBS Uniflow for that. As others have said, it's leaky with fine ball.

Certainly worth the money. It dumps fairly accurate volume charges. It's easier to empty than most others. The amount of spilled ball powder is really small, and if it really bothers you, there are ways to fix or workaround that.

Stanger73
02-17-2007, 01:49 AM
I bought mine to use with stick/log/chunk powders, and it is indeed (IMHO) "perfect" for them. I don't have a problem with the lid, so I am probably, accidentally, doing something right[smilie=1: But now that somebody has mentioned a problem it is likely to happen to me now. At least I have lots of Duct Tape handy :roll:

I did make the mistake of trying to use it with H110. And yes, I did read and follow the instructions. I will never attempt it again. I bought the derned thing for stick powders and that is what I will use it for.

I use an RCBS Uniflow for ball and flake powders, and have less than zero complaints with it for these powders.

toecutter
02-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I got one of these years ago when I first started out reloading. It's not a bad tool. But it's far from great. Spend the extra cash and get yourself an RCBS or similar measure off ebay, the amount of time and frustration you save will more than make up for the extra cost. I would sell you mine, but it's in my "spare" reloading kit at my cabin.

Navahojoe
02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
When I started reloading again after 30 + yrs of other hobbies, like, fishing, golfing,bowling ect, I bought a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I was influenced by Mr Lee's Reloading Book # 2. It is leaky as mentioned, not too bad, but flimsey looking and feeling. I reloaded for about a year with it and it is pretty darn accurate. It still sits on my reloading bench and is used very seldom. I acquired two Lyman # 55 off S**tBay for a really good price and both of them are so accurate, its boring at times. I measure each powder drop. Retired, and only load for 3 Pistols, .44 Mag, .45 Colt and .45 ACP, so I am in no big hurry and I don't worry about an overcharge. My Pistol reloads are pretty darn accurate, I suppose from doing it that way. I let my Daughter shoot the .44 Mag a week or so ago, she has to keep her hand in, and she commented: : Dad, your reloads are much more accurate than the factory ammo that I have been shooting." What can I say?

regards,
NavahoJoe
:castmine: so I can :Fire: