PDA

View Full Version : off topic - help with resilvering of a mirror

scrapcan
01-20-2007, 01:48 PM
OK guys there is alot of knowledge on this site, lets see if you can haelp me with this one.

We have been given an antique mirror (been in the family for many generations) and it has couple of bad spots in the mirror coating. Baiscally like all old mirrors left in direct sun they tend to have the silver let loose at times and flake. Of course the wood finish is in pretty poor condition also, I can handle that, but resilvering I cannot find anything on.

I need a source for proceedure, supplies or a source for a restorer, any one got some answers.

thanks for the ehlp in advance.

carpetman
01-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Manleyjt---I had one mirror resilvered(had it done). Only thing I remember is that the guy said if it is a beveled edge mirror it is worth resilvering and if flat edged--buy a new one.

shooter2
01-20-2007, 06:35 PM
My grandfather used to have his telescope mirror silvered by PPG (Pittsburg Plate Glass). Might try them or a glass company. Another choice might be to just accept that it's old and live with it. Character...

scrapcan
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Carpetman,
You guessed it beveled mirror and leaded glass to boot. Very nice piece of glass if only the silver was in better shape.

Shooter2,
I forgot about PPG. I think they have a distribution warehouse and business facility in Denver, CO. I will give it a try.

floodgate
01-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Jeremy:

If PPG can't help you, the amateur telescope makers in the astronomy groups must have have somewhere to get their mirrors silvered, though the pro's mostly go for alunimum with a silicon-monoxide overcoat. I have done silvering back in college, but that was in specialty vacuum flasks and used the Brashear chemical process; as I recall (from fifty years back), it was tricky and didn't always work, and there was some hazard involved. If you know someone seriously into astronomy with reflecting (Newtonian or catadioptric) telescopes, ask him about sources of info. If not, get back to me and I'll see what I can dig out.

Doug

Jetwrench
01-21-2007, 03:43 AM
manleyjt,
Lindsay had a book on that. http://www.lindsaybks.com/ will get you to their sight. I dont think it is on the sight but it is or was in their free catalog. Hope this helps. JETWRENCH

RayinNH
01-21-2007, 12:17 PM
manleyjt, if the mirror is a good antique I would leave it alone as changing it would probably affect it's value. If it's just old but not neccessarily a quality antique why not take off the remaining silver and put a new cheap mirror behind the beveled glass...Ray

scrapcan
01-21-2007, 01:29 PM
The piece is very old, but in not great shape. We are trying to find someone who may have an idea of actual time frame. My aunt who is 86 gavi it to us and she thought it was her grandmothers. If I get a chance I will try to post a picture ( I will make sure I don't end up on snopes.com for taking compromising pictures as a result of reflection). any way thanks guys.

And I do get Lindsay's catalog. There is generally book sthat I think I need to have.

floodgate
01-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Jeremy:

I'd forgotten the fact that telescope mirrors are front-silvered; which is why the "quartz" overcoating - provides the same protection as the glass on a back-silvered mirror like yours, where the back surface is protected with some sort of paint. Still, if you know any astronomers, they may have some clues for you.

Doug

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Google mirror silvering.

scrapcan
01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Ricochet,

I had been using google to search on different phrases like re-silvering, mirror restoration, etc... Never even thought ot put in direct mirror silvering.

Still not a lot of info out there but there is way more using your term than those I used before.

Jeremy