PDA

View Full Version : Teflon wraps

ChuckJaxFL
08-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I just got the Ballistic Products Inc Buckshot Loading III manual and their slug manual.

I did a cost breakdown on several recipes and see that, in the loads that use them, the teflon wraps drive the cost up ALOT. In one load I looked at, they drive the cost from26¢ to 48¢ per round.

I found teflon film on McMaster for $2.49 a square foot. Is it as simple as cutting this into pieces 2.3" by an 1.5" or so? Or is there something specific about the BP teflon film that shouldn't be substituted? Cutting my own would nearly halve the cost of the completed round!

Johnch
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Not 100% sure

But at work we sometimesuse a teflon film
I snag the scrap and use it

Currently out

But IMO if the teflon film is the same thickness
IMO it should work

John

myfriendis410
08-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Why would you want to? I suppose it would help some during setback and cut down on some scrubbing of the shot; but you can do the same with the right wad and a buffer. You can also tighten patterns using harder shot.

I knew the Chief of police for Cortez Colorado and he recounted the tale of one of his troops emptying his shotgun loaded with buckshot at a perp fifty yards away from him. Five rounds or so, and they all missed. A state trooper shot the man from a safe distance with a 30-30--one shot.

ChuckJaxFL
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Why would you want to?

Because the book says to. I've reloaded eleventy bazillion metallic cartridges, but have no experience loading for shotguns. I tend to "go by the book" when it comes to matters of blowing my face off, at least until I get some time under my belt.

Doesn't it seem to you that it would affect the friction against the bore if you were omit it? And is the mass of the buffer comparable to the mass of the wrap? It seems to me that must affect pressures some, as well.

para45lda
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
:kidding:

Is that a technical term? Eleventy bazillion. Or maybe an accounting term.

ChuckJaxFL
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
:kidding:

Is that a technical term? Eleventy bazillion. Or maybe an accounting term.

Agricultural. Should I convert to metric bushels for the sake of the conversation?

para45lda
08-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Nahh. What's the smallest amount you can buy feasibly? Try it - what can it hurt? I'm sure worse things have been stuffed in shotshells. I know I have.

Wes

myfriendis410
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm just saying because you can buy wads that protect the shot quite adequately without having to add steps and materials to your shotshell. I wasn't picking on you. Been there myself, eleventy bazillion years ago......

Rmfcasey
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
I think eleventy bazillion is the projected national debt in Obama's second term.LOL
Does anyone know if you could teflon the inside of the barrel?
Rmfcasey

tomme boy
08-26-2011, 12:14 PM
The teflon is so you can increase the payload over a regular wad.

myfriendis410
08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I think eleventy bazillion is the projected national debt in Obama's second term.LOL
Does anyone know if you could teflon the inside of the barrel?
Rmfcasey

A friend and hunting buddy bought a Beretta Optima 391 that is factory back-bored. This is done to reduce recoil. How you might ask? Let me tell you.

My 391 was a standard 12 gauge (NOT back-bored). We had occasion to run some 3" duck loads over the chronograph and low and behold! his gun spat 'em out 150 fps slower than mine. No wonder the recoil is less. I think the same would apply to any means of lowering friction in your barrel i.e. teflon coating. The same applies to moly coated bullets in a rifle. A coated bullet goes out the end of the barrel at a lower velocity so, one ups the powder charge with no net gain. Only a loss of more powder.

The point I'm trying to make is; you need some friction to provide resistance to the powder and allow it to do it's job.