PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Sig Hammerli Trailside

69daytona
08-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Anyone have one. Have been looking at these or a model 41S&W and from everything I read the Trailside is a better shooter for less than half the price if the 41.

Guess I will find out once it gets to Calif and I do my 10 day wait.

If you have one what type of ammo does yours shoot the best?

xringdave
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't know much about the trailside but the S&W 41 the the best 22 pistol i've owned.IF you can find
a 70's or early 80's their even better.

9.3X62AL
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
It has been a couple years, but I have fired a couple SIG Trailsides, and they were utter delights. About as close as one can get to a S&W Model 41 without spending beaucoup dollars on full-on target pistols. Good units, and both examples fed all kinds of ammo.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
The Sig is a really smooth machine and gets the job done well. The quality and finish are top notch. I've shot a few belonging to competitors on various occasions after matches and liked them. I currently own two 41's; the heavy slide and the long slide models. They were made in the late seventies and I have been very pleased with them over the years. They have become very pricey over the last decade and if the quality has remained constant then they are certainly worthy of the price. LLS

Johnch
08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a Trail Side 6" ajustable sights

Of all things
Winchester Wildcat ammo is just as accurate as anything else I tryed , including Eley
This is 500 rnd bricks I bought several years back , before the BS shortage

In mine at least
Rem Target and the CCI target stuff was horid

BTW a S&W 10 shot 22 mag is easly made to work
Instead of those over priced plastic mags that come with it

John

crabo
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I just looked it up to see what it was. Here's Sig's FAQ in case you ever need any service on it.

We have not imported the Trailside pistols since 2005. We no longer have access to Hammerli or Trailside parts / accessories. Hammerli has been purchased by Carl Walther GmbH of Germany. SIG SAUER is no longer selling or servicing Hammerli products. Please direct all Hammerli related service issues and questions including those regarding the Trailside models, to: Larry's Guns Inc. 56 West Gray Road Gray, Maine 04039, USA Tel.: (207) 657-4559 Fax: (207) 657-3429 Email: hammerli@maine.rr.com

9.3X62AL
08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I believe Hammerli has re-introduced the Trailside series under their own label, and re-named the series the "X-Esse". Saw them at the SHOT Show in January, looked all but identical to me.

jameslovesjammie
08-14-2011, 08:54 PM
The X-Esse was the gun being imported by Sig and called the Trailside over here. If they are bringing it back, that would be good news.

I have a Sig Trailside with a competition trigger installed by Larry's Guns. It is a good gun. I don't see much difference in accuracy between it and several other guns in the same price range.

I also have a S&W 422 which uses the same mags as the 41. With a little filing on the magazine, you can make usable mags for the Trailside relatively cheap.

If you need any parts or want to upgrade something...you need to checkout www.larrysguns.com

troy_mclure
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
i have had a trailside(6") since '05. it was a return from iraq present from my parents.

i just replaced the springs in it after well over 100k rounds, mostly 500/550 bulk packs.
i mainly replaced them because the factory trigger sear spring broke. it was replaced with larrys new design.
it shot best by far with wolf gold medal match ammo.

its by far my favorite gun(and my girlfriends).

ive found the 41 mags and x-esses mags to be the same price, and filing the 41 mags just right is a bit tedious, so i just buy the x-esse's.

johnch, do you know what gun the 10shot s&w mag that will work is for?