PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional Shotgun hull Primer pocket looseness fix

Newtire
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I bought a 100 hull bag of new "Cheddite" brand .410 hulls off of one of the reloading sites awhile back and was having a time of it with the primer pockets coming loose. Same loads in Remington hulls=no troubles. Not hot loads, only did this with these hulls.

I just noticed that the last time I punched out the primers on my MEC 600, I had the priming punch screwed out a little too far and it took some effort to get the sizing ring to go down far enough to size the whole base.

Turns out that this was just what was needed to push the center of the case down to it's former flat self instead of the concave shape it had taken on. This had the effect of tightening up the pocket.

Apparently, these Cheddite hulls have a very soft steel base which the firing pin was caving in.

Same thing was happening on some 10 gauge Federal hulls I was using and fix was the same for these.

I was contemplating buying a tool for doing this like I bought and used close to 50 yrs. ago when I first started reloading but now I have a simple easy way to do it.

Just proves "Sometimes even a blind dog finds a bone!"

Thought I'd pass this on.