PDA

View Full Version : Is The Lyman Case Gauge Accurate?

UtopiaTexasG19
08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I was looking at the Lyman E-Zee Case Gauge and read a review on the Midway site that said depending on the caliber the gauge is 5 thousands to 15 thousands "short". Has anyone else found this to be true? If it is it sounds like the gauge would read many cases too long when they are not so. Thanks...

C.F.Plinker
08-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd rather just use a dial or digital caliper. That way I can measure both the untrimmed case to see if it needs trimming and the trimmed case to see how long it actually is.

Freischütz
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds like it's based on the Lyman recommended trim to lengths.

I think you'll be much happier with a caliper. You can use the caliper for all sorts of shooting related measurements.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Once you have access to a reliable caliper you can easily make your own case gauges to whatever spec you like/need. To not have to handle the caliper each time (and drain the battery if it is an electronic model) it is a simple matter to take a piece of sheet metal or aluminum or brass and cut out a simple gauge then tune it with a file to whatever measurement is needed. You can also make the gauge a two step capability with minimum and maximum steps. LLS

Old Caster
08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
People used the Lyman tool years ago because no one could afford a caliper. When I was a kid in the late 40's, an electric drill cost about $40 which was an amazing amount of money so no one had an electric drill. A caliper was in the same catagory. You would never even see one unless it was in a machine shop. Now a decent caliper can be had for $20. It is a very important accessory for reloading.

1hole
08-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Chinese made 6" Stainless Steel dial or digital calipers can be purchased from Harbor Freight Tools for as little as $12 when on "sale", as they often are. They less costly but appear identical identical to those branded by Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Midway, etc. For reloading purposes my H.F.T. calipers work as well as my professonal grade calipers costing ten times more. They are a much better, more versatile choice of tools for reloading than Lyman's old "snap" gage device.

To give an example of what $40 was in the late 40s, inflation has been something like 15-20x, making that $40 drill motor equvilant to $600 plus today. Few common working men made more than $40 for a 40 hour week.

John Boy
08-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I have one of those case gauges and haven't used it 40+ years. Calipers and dummy cases are much more accurate

Pavogrande
08-26-2011, 05:45 AM
I like the herters case gage I have had for many moons -- It seems to be accurate and definitely durable.

dromia
09-03-2011, 04:39 AM
I've had one for years and do use as an initial reference point and for quick seperation of brass. Its simple to use and can take a beating. When trimming I then use my calipers to unsure correct case length as I might not be trimming to the fixed Lyman lengths.

btroj
09-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I always viewed them as a trim/no trim gauge. No more, no less. For that purpose they work fine. While they won't tell you anything about case lengths other than +\- a certain dimension they have a purpose.
I was taught using one and it served me well for many years.

bob208
09-03-2011, 03:36 PM
i would not waste my money on one. put that money towards a set of calipers.