PDA

View Full Version : Need Royal Ann cherry recipes

Triggerhappy
08-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok, picked about 7 gallons of royal ann cherries, very ripe and sweet. Pitted, and some of them are already made into pulp & juice ready to go. Now I need good recipes for jam and anything else you can think of. Was going to make some maraschino cherries out of some but couldn't find the liquor I wanted. About 3 gallons are ground up fruit without pits but can be easily rendered to pulp and juice.

Whatcha' got for idea guys?

Thanks!

Brian

waksupi
08-13-2011, 12:46 AM
http://beekman1802.com/general/two-cherry-bounce-cocktails.html

If you make any of this, you owe me a pint!

Shiloh
08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Add 2 cups of sour cherries to a quart-sized canning jar, 1 cup of sugar, and fill the rest of the jar with vodka. If you want to kick it up a notch, use 100 proof vodka or rum. Close lid tightly and shake. Shake jar daily for one week, or until sugar dissolves. Let sit for 3-6 months before enjoying.

I knew a family years ago that had a source for sour cherry's and made a LOT of this stuff. Would give half pint's as Christmas gifts and stocking stuffer's. If made with 151 rum, it will positively kick your but.

It tasted sooo good and went down easy. One had to be careful. The cherry's are good on ice cream or warm pie with the pits removed.

Shiloh

tomme boy
08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Same as Shilos above but with Everclear.

Old Goat Keeper
08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Try using a good brandy. You will never go back to everclear/vodka/whiskey.

T-o-m

Triggerhappy
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the great ideas guys, I'll have to try that with some sour cherries. Have a tree that has a few on it, that tree didn't do well this year.

Do have about 7 gallons of sweet royal ann cherries I need to do something with. Been pitted and some of them have been through a mill to extract the juice and pulp and remove all seeds and skin. Ready for Jam or something, just have to find a recipe for something creative.

TH

Tom-ADC
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
I once added a pound of bing cherries to a batch of ale I was making, was very happy with the results.

Lloyd Smale
08-16-2011, 07:38 PM
i like eating them to much. theyd never make the canning jars!

dominicfortune00
08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Did you try looking on a box of Sure Gel?

IIRC, they have a generic jelly or jam recipe on the box; ie. so much juice, so much sugar, a box of Sure Gel.

scrapcan
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
It sounds to me like you need to make a cherry crisp also! You can use the recipe for apple or peach crisp , only use cherries.

fatnhappy
08-20-2011, 09:24 PM
clafoutis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld20FX3q_Mk&NR=1

Triggerhappy
08-22-2011, 12:35 AM
For the first batch I made cherry - orange marmalade. Spiced it up a bit with cinnamon & nutmeg. Tastes like Christmas, maybe a little too much spice and orange.

Going to try again with Cherry Jam tomorrow evening. Lots of juice left over, need to make pancake syrup for the wife that it. Just have to figure out how.

Thanks for all the great ideas, lot more cherries to go. Also have a gallon of blackberries, might combine and make cherry-blackberry jam.... Or pie filling. For crisps... Cobbler.

TH

bruce drake
08-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Blackberry infused vodka...

Bruce

Triggerhappy
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Got started canning again last night, made 24 - 1/2 pint jelly jars of cherry jam that came out pretty good. Took the juice and made 12 pints of pancake syrup. Tastes good but a little too close to cough syrup for me.

Still lots of cherries to go.

TH