PDA

View Full Version : Stick on wheel weights

slide
08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I know this has probably been posted before. I've got a guy who owns a tire shop and just gave me a 5 gallon bucket of stick on wheel weights. I haven't done anything with them yet. Didn't I see somewhere on this forum that stick on weights are bad ju-ju?

Jamesconn
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
They aren't bad they are just softer than clip ons so smelt separately you can use them later to adjust the hardness of an alloy or to mix 75% stickons and 25% clip on for hollow point boolits also useful in muzzle loaders

white eagle
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
probably close to pure lead
stretch yer existing supply of w/w with 50/50
stick on/clip on

birdadly
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Just to mention, there are zinc and iron stickons as well, so still separate from soft lead ones.

grumpy one
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I've read on internet sources that stick-ons are usually (not always) about 1.5% tin. This might be to make them stay shiny. The ones I've melted acted as if they were high tin compared with clip-ons. I agree about the zincers being a problem - they get harder and harder to detect, both in stick-ons and clip-ons.

mongo
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I got a bunch that I havent smelted yet, Do you need to remove the tape before so it doesnt mess up your pot? Or does all the sticky glue and tape just burn off?

badbob454
08-12-2011, 10:38 PM
it will burn off. or skim it off once the lead melts or you can light it with a match to lessen the smoke i personally skim off what i can and light the rest to clean it up once burned off stir real good and skim off all the dross ( top scum ) ladel into molds and remember to ...mark as soft lead ... p/s a pair of pliars will not dent zinc or steel when you try to crush it so the rest is lead
post script ... do this outside !!

slide
08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Will a magnet pickup zinc wheel weights?

2wheelDuke
08-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Will a magnet pickup zinc wheel weights?

No, unless it sticks to the steel clip on a zinc clipon.

A strong magnet will grab the clip on lead weights as well, so make sure it's the clip sticking to the magnet before you toss a weight.

I've also had lead stickons stick to the tape of iron/steel clipons and wind up stuck to the magnet that way.

Stick_man
08-13-2011, 12:43 AM
With the stick-ons, you generally wont even be able to bend the zinc or iron weights, but no problem with the lead ones. There are some that feel like a very heavy, dense foam weight that I haven't even tried to deal with so far. I figure it's probably not worth the time to extract any lead from them.

bumpo628
08-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Lead weights can be dented by side cutters. Zinc and Iron weights can not.
Stick-on lead makes a thud sound when dropped. Clip-on lead makes a slightly higher pitched thud. Zinc makes a ringing noise.
Most zinc weights say "Zn" on them. Iron weights are magnetic and usually say "Fe".

I usually sort wheel weights with a strong magnet stuck to the back of a pair of side cutters. That way I don't have to switch tools to check everything.

slide
08-13-2011, 08:05 AM
All good info. Thanks Guys!

xringdave
08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I've had good luck with stick-on ww, i went 50% stick-on 50% clip-on made nice boolits.
the only problem for me was the glue burning off i live in the city. good luck.

fredj338
08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I've had good luck with stick-on ww, i went 50% stick-on 50% clip-on made nice boolits.
the only problem for me was the glue burning off i live in the city. good luck.

My issue as well. I still have a 3gal bucket full of stickies. YOu can take teh tapeoff by soaking them in mineral spirits for a bit, but that does add to the price.