PDA

View Full Version : swage the bore

two bit okie
08-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Probably the wrong title, but My 30-30 is not handling the cast bullets the way I like. soooooo I want to swage the bore, ya know drive a lead slug down the bore so that I can measure what the real bore diameter reallly is.

what do I need and how is it done. any help appreciated.

para45lda
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
You can use a piece of OO buckshot or one of your own boolits cast from pure Pb. Lube the bore good, tap tap tappy with a hammer to get it started and then push it down with a rod (be careful not to scratch the bore or crown). You may want to check the muzzle separately. USE A MICROMETER TO MEASURE. A caliper is not accurate enough.

There are several other threads on here to "slug" your bore, please read.them as well as I am sure there are a.dozen variations of what I just said.

Wes

mdi
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm Here's a good article on barrel slugging. Actually it's easy, just be careful not to damage the barrel crown. I use a brass rod I got from McMaster Carr and two hammers (a yellow plastic mallet to start the slug,, and a heavy, 3 lb. dead blow hammer to finish it off)

MtGun44
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Just for clarity, that is definitely not "swaging the bore" that would be "slugging the
barrel". If this seems an irrelevant point, please recognize that this is a pretty technical
topic and correct terminology is pretty important for useful communication.

Bill