PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce meplat?

JJC
08-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Is it me-plat, mep-lat, some other way? Always wondered.

ku4hx
08-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Is it me-plat, mep-lat, some other way? Always wondered.

Being it's French, the French pronunciation is "meh-PLAY" ". But since I'm still eating American fries, I pronounce it " mee-plat". But then I guess I should pronounce "sabot" "say bot" (rhymes with robot) in place of the more correct "say-bow" which I normally use. And "ogive" always gives me fits so I just avoid it. I'm just not a fan of "jive".

I can't help it; not my fault. I grew up nine miles from "Vy-an-uh", Georgia so I was warped from an early age. They still spell the place V-i-e-n-n-a. Sounds like a sausage which is also pronounced "vy-an-uh" in my home town. Come to think of it Cairo, GA is pronounced "Kay-row" so I'm just really messed up.

My wife's from Michigan. You should see her family smile when I launch into my "Jimmy Carter" voice.

Have a nawce day now. Y'all come back now ya-heah.

Jack Stanley
08-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I pronounce it mep-lat . Ah din no wer daht word cum from till uh minut uhgo . buhden wud yew spect from uhguy daht speak getto an nawthun flewuhnly .

I still pronounce Garand as guh-rand instead of gerrand so it may be just something about the French language ... not that I don't like the French mind you , I do like French toast once in a while :lol:I do manage to pronounce sabot as say-bow so perhaps there is hope for me eh?

Duzat hep yew eny ??

Jack

1Shirt
08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Who cares? Just the end of the blt to me, flatter the better! Nuff said!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Char-Gar
08-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I say it me-plat. But I have never heard it pronounced by anybody but me.

JJC
08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Yup thats where i'm comming from, just wondering.

Spector
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Darn. I was pefectly happy in my ignorance callin it ''meh-plate''. Just like I call that Swedish military surplus 6.5x55 ammo ''prickly-stick''. I hate change, but now my brain is going to bug me if I don't try to say it the right way......Mike

Nueces
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I think in the UK, it's "Smythe"

Mark

My version is mee-plat, but under my breath.

PacMan
08-12-2011, 12:36 PM
You guys are to much!

mdi
08-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Tried 2 on line dictionaries. No entry for "meplat"!

Spector
08-12-2011, 01:09 PM
So OK...tell me. Am I ok if I say ''O-jive''? My brain wants to know. It's 64 years old and gettin a little demading at times.......Mike

leftiye
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Any way I feel like? (I'm 65, maybe next year you won't care either?) I do say "O"jive FWIW. Don't know whas correct. So, which of us "authorities" would you call an authority? Certainly not me.

MtGun44
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I say "mee-plat".

Bill

jameslovesjammie
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Mee-plat
O-jive
Say-bow

The file extension .gif is also pronounced with a soft g. Like Jiff peanutbutter.

mold maker
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I'll soon be 70, so as long as ya call me to supper, I don't care what ya call them boolit ends.

JeffinNZ
08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Does matter how I say it. You won't understand my Kiwi accent.

wallenba
08-12-2011, 04:27 PM
My wife's from Michigan. You should see her family smile when I launch into my "Jimmy Carter" voice.

Have a nawce day now. Y'all come back now ya-heah.

As a Michigander I know what you mean. Mackinac city gets pronounced
Mack-in-ack (it's Mack-in-awe ). Sault Ste. Marie gets bashed to Salt-stee-marie, (it's Sue Saint Marie ).
The French settled here first and named a lot of places.

mroliver77
08-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I never noticed an accent, Jeff ;)

Jay

People sometimes ask me where I am from. I am rarely over 5 miles from my birthplace but folks think I am from the south. Then again my minister( from WV) says he never met a hillbilly till he moved to Henry County OH. :)

onesonek
08-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Ahhh,,, Kiwi accent,,,reminds me of back in my,,,err,,,,on second thought, best not go there:bigsmyl2:

noylj
08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
meh-play. Come on, correct is correct. I always allow for a given town's name to be pronounced the way the town wants, but a french work is pronounced the french way.
I remember in college studying Auger spectroscopy, which is pronounced, sort-of, "Ah-Jzay" sort of like OJ.
Remember my grandfather telling us he was going to drive down to San Josie (San Jose). Always wondered how he liked "La Jol-la" or if he ever found "La Hoya" on the map.

bearcove
08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I looked it up in 5 dictionaries we have, And its not a word since it wasn't in any of them.

Ain't is a word, That "meplat" is just slang spoken by some offbeat minority not recognized by the mainstream

waksupi
08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
It goes along with boolits perfectly.

KYCaster
08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
To-may-to, to-mah-to, po-tay-to, po-tah-to.....let's call the whole thing off!

There's a Madrid (MAD-rid pop. ~25) right down the road from me. Gamaliel Shooting Supplies, the guys with all the shotgun stuff are down near the TN border, the locals call it Guh-MAIL-yuh. The distillery that puts the pretty carnauba wax on the whiskey bottles is in Loretto (Low-RET-ah). Our largest city, LOO-uh-vul, is named for the French king Looee XVI.

Some of our other town names are not quite as bad....Hog Wallow(waller), and various "hollers" are pretty common. Monkey's Eyebrow and Bug Tussle are pretty much the same with any accent.

One I like is Whutcheer. When the community had grown to the point where it needed a name, an old farmer came late to the meeting. Somebody told him to sit in that chair over there and he said, "Whut cheer?"

:drinks:

Jerry

Jack Stanley
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
It is interesting to hear how different regions pronounce the same name . Take the name Charlotte for example . One can most certainly tell if a person using the name is from the frozen north or the Carolinas :coffee: There may be only one Eaton Rapids on earth but I bet there's ten different ways to say it . :roll:

Jack

MT Gianni
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Meh-plate and O-jdive.

MtGun44
08-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I think O-jive is Obama's half brother.

wallenba
08-13-2011, 12:10 AM
For Newfies it's New FUN land, or, nu fund LAND, but never Newfundland as we in the U.S. pronounce it.

JJC
08-13-2011, 12:19 AM

That's funny

waksupi
08-13-2011, 12:28 AM
For those outside the north west, we need to toss in Butte, Helena,and Spokane!

Mavrick
08-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Back home there is a little town that the locals needed to name. They agreed on the name, but couldn't agree on the spelling or pronunciation. It was either "Pee-tarmigan" or "Tar-migan." They finally got it..,.Chicken!
I pronounce it "me plot," "O'jive," and "say bow." FWIW
I live in "Nev a duh", not Nev ah duh."
Have fun,
Gene

Bret4207
08-13-2011, 07:46 AM
I have to be honest, for some reason I never noticed there wasn't a a second T in meplat, so your years I've been thinking of it as "met plat"! I don't know why, it's one of the words you never hear so like "facade" and a few others I read it one way but the correct spelling eludes me at times because I THINK of it a different way.

So- meh plat, oh-give with a long "i", and saybow.

Armorer
08-13-2011, 08:24 AM
+1 on "me-plat" "o-jive" and "say-bow"and "Guh-rand". On another note. When my wife was growing up she lived in a town over in Louisiana named Natchitchos.
Pronounced Nak-uh-dish. Not entirely sure how that came about, but I can sympathize since I have been known to say "Light bub" "motor ole" and "Mescin" .
I do have a question though. How would one pronounce Lapua?
My ˘2
Armorer

3006guns
08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
LOP u uh.......from what I've been told.

O.K........all things considered, since a person of oriental lineage usually reverses "R's" and "L"'s, how would they pronounce "control"?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-13-2011, 09:32 AM
People sometimes ask me where I am from. I am rarely over 5 miles from my birthplace but folks think I am from the south. Then again my minister( from WV) says he never met a hillbilly till he moved to Henry County OH. :)

Jay,
when I visit my Brother in Detroit, His (east coast accented) friends make fun of my MN farmer (long o) accent...Minnesooota, Dooon't ya knoooow !
Jon

Centaur 1
08-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I have to be honest, for some reason I never noticed there wasn't a a second T in meplat, so your years I've been thinking of it as "met plat"! I don't know why, it's one of the words you never hear so like "facade" and a few others I read it one way but the correct spelling eludes me at times because I THINK of it a different way.

So- meh plat, oh-give with a long "i", and saybow.

I've been doing the same thing. I've never heard anyone say the word, just seen it in writing, and my brain added the second t also. Since meplat is a french word, I vote to change it to metplat.

blackthorn
08-13-2011, 08:48 PM
O.K.--- heres one someone can explain to me--- Kansas-- pronounced---Kan-zas and Arkansas--- pronounced Are-can-saw---HOW COME????

Blammer
08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
I pronounce it meplat.

does that help any? :D

Armorer
08-13-2011, 10:41 PM
LOP u uh.......from what I've been told.

Sounds perfect to me!:bigsmyl2:

BulletFactory
08-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Why do the french get to make this stuff up? Guns are for fighting, and nobody that talks like that should be fighting. German sounds more like fighting, French sounds more like fashion to me.

BulletFactory
08-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Just dont axe me to use the torlet. (toilet). That drives me nuts.

jameslovesjammie
08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
For those outside the north west, we need to toss in Butte, Helena,and Spokane!

I live in Minot, ND. Living here I have heard it pronounced My-Not, Mine-It, and telemarketers always used to say Minn-no like it was French.

Marlin Junky
08-14-2011, 02:08 AM
If your gonna pronounce it as a French word adapted to American English it would be MAY-PLAT (long a) like fiance´... if anyone really gives a hoot.

MJ

gefiltephish
08-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I say MEE-play. Don't know if it's "correct" or not and I don't give a rat's behind if anyone else likes it or not. :)

XWrench3
08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I pronounce it mee-plat as well. But like a lot of others, no one else i know calls it anything but the bullet tip. And seriously, o-jive? Do we live in the hood? To me, it is o-giv

MtGun44
08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
O-jive.

prs
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Them Frencies speak real purdy, but I think their spell'n ain't worth a damn.

The fellow from Nevadal; he lives in ne/va/da , all short vowel sounds, accent on middle syllable.

prs

Iron Mike Golf
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Mee-plat
O-jive
Say-bow

The file extension .gif is also pronounced with a soft g. Like Jiff peanutbutter.

I called 'em "sah-butt" for exactly half a session in a Bradley gunner simulator. My instructor had the broom stick, you see....

jgt
08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree with "oh-jive" and "say-bow" but was taught years ago that meplat was pronounced "mah-play".

There is a town in Washington near the foot of a large mesa. The locals called their town "mee-sah".

There is a town in Texas. The sign on the highway reads "Mexia" A traveling salesman passed through the town quite often, but never knew how to pronounce the name. One day when not so rushed he stopped into the local Dairy Queen and ordered a cup of coffee. The waitress told him to have a seat in a booth and she would bring him a cup as soon as the new batch was through brewing. When she brought the coffee he asked, "How do you pronounce the name of this place?" The waitress leaned down and very slowly said "Dare-ree Ka-ween." :lol::lol::lol:

The locals pronounce the name of this town "Muh-hay-ah"

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM

I am a lousy phonetic speller so i won't try i also have only read it never heard it

the me-plat with a short E like Met and a short A like plant

that's how i would put it in my upper Midwestern Wisconsin talk but i that certainly never made it right

Marlin Junky
08-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Wait a second, I forgot about the way the French pronounce "T's" at the end of a word! Considering the "T" is silent, as in Monet, we have meplat = to may-PLAH. That ought to be recieved well at range; i.e., hey dude... what's the may-PLAH diameter of that BOOOLIT? :mrgreen:

Everyone used to speak American (and love our money) until we became a nation of dead beats... :coffee:

MJ

Iron Mike Golf
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
MJ,

France left NATO in '66 and closed down NATO bases that same year.

nanuk
08-16-2011, 07:09 PM
For Newfies it's New Found land, or, nu fund LAND, but never Newfundland as we in the U.S. pronounce it.

I've worked with many a Newf.... NONE will say New Found land..

they call it, NEW-fun-lun

trust me... You'd get a faceful of attitude if you said they were from "new-FOUND-land"

DrB
08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I say it may-plat, my buddy says it mee-plat. I don't know which is preferred. Similarly I say sabot "say-bow", not "sah-bot".

primersp
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Mj is right we don't in this case prononce the t at the end of the word

may-plah is the best pronounciation ,but in term of bullit the only time i have see the word" méplat"
is on a 8 m/m lebel for instruction the bullet of the cartridge have 2 méplats on each side .
usually we talk of "flat nose " bullet

hope i can help

olafhardt
08-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Eat off your own plate and keep your nose diggeers out of my plate.

gefiltephish
08-19-2011, 08:58 AM
From wiktionary:
Pronunciation
/me.pla/
To me that reads mee-play.

From this French dictionary site http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnaire/definition/meplat/1
MÉPLAT
Prononciation: mé-pla

<edit>I emailed my daughter who speaks fluent French. Her reply, "May-play".</edit>

JJC
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
:popcorn: :veryconfu

Le Loup Solitaire
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Primer SP and Phish have it right. They have the keyboard with the correct accent mark over the first "e". That makes the "e" sound like "ay". The final "t" is silent. So the word is pronounced....may-plah. There is nothing left to argue about. That is the way it is written up and pronounced in "Larousse" which is the official dictionary of France and is edited by the French Academy. You can think that its all weird, but keep in mind that so are a lot of words in English that we inherited from the British......for example "enough", "drought", and many others. As for silent final letters, we've got those too.....like the "b" on the end of dumb....whats that for? If you're still struggling with meplat, just go with "flat nose" or "truncated nose ", or "chopped nose" and somewhere between those three most people will get the idea. LLS

JJC
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
LLS not struggling just wondering. This had way more responses than I thought it would get. like alot of others I have never heard the word pronounced. I say mee plat, or mep lat when reading it in magazines. Flat nose has been my substitute also. Interesting read so far. John

ColColt
08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
My former wife was from upstate NY-Auburn. Here I was an ol' TN boy originally from NC. You can imagine how all that went. She laughed at me when I told her she needed to "look" pinto beans before cooking them 'cause they had rocks in them. She didn't believe that until she found about five or six in that one pound bag. Imagine chowing down on a small grey looking rock!! That would ruin your dinner for sure.

I got use to different ways to pronounce this in the service. Them Yankees would say daag and I called them dawgs. We both knew what one another was talking about. nevertheless. Mee-plat seems reasonable to me.

wallenba
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I've worked with many a Newf.... NONE will say New Found land..

they call it, NEW-fun-lun

trust me... You'd get a faceful of attitude if you said they were from "new-FOUND-land"

Correct, I screwed up the phoenetics. Ive tried to correct it. Think I have it right now

markinalpine
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
She laughed at me when I told her she needed to "look" pinto beans before cooking them 'cause they had rocks in them.

My grandfather called this process "High Grading." :coffee:

Mark [smilie=s:

gefiltephish
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I know this is much-a-do about nothin', but my daughter gave me a French lesson update as follows.
------------------------------------------------------------
CORRECTION: it is pronounced MAY-PLAH
I originally read it wrong.
Cat is CHAT and pronounced SHAH)

In French, the / (accent ague) over an e makes the long A sound (AY) and the
\ (accent grave) over an e makes the short E sound (eh). There is also
another that I couldn't even begin to try to type out. It is a little
squiggle backwards C thing that is under the letter C. If that mark is
there attached to the c then it is a soft C sound (makes the same sound as
S)
AND...they usually do not pronounce the last letter of a word if it is a
consonant . That is why MÉPLAT does not have a T sound at the end. If the
word was MÉPLATE then it would be pronounced MAY-PLATE
-------------------------------------------------------------

So there ya have it. This question will never have to be asked again! Right? :bigsmyl2:

Nueces
08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, I ain't (aynt) changing, and ya (yuh) can't make me.

The only exception I will consider will be during my next annual address to the Foreign Legion. They had to move from Algiers 50 years ago and haven't yet communicated to me the new venue. My speech is almost ready.

Mark :mrgreen:

ku4hx
08-20-2011, 09:52 AM

Your post absolutely made my day; I quite literally laughed out loud. I showed this to my wife (after a brief lead-in which included my post) and she had the same reaction.

ku4hx
08-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Just dont axe me to use the torlet. (toilet). That drives me nuts.

Or make sure the flue is open in the chimbly (chimney) in my case.

ku4hx
08-20-2011, 09:58 AM
As a Michigander I know what you mean. Mackinac city gets pronounced
Mack-in-ack (it's Mack-in-awe ). Sault Ste. Marie gets bashed to Salt-stee-marie, (it's Sue Saint Marie ).
The French settled here first and named a lot of places.

I know how to say all them thar words, but somepin I thank is jes funny is to intentionally say them wrong when we visits my Michigander relatives. :kidding:

ColColt
08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I know this is much-a-do about nothin', but my daughter gave me a French lesson update as follows.
------------------------------------------------------------
CORRECTION: it is pronounced MAY-PLAH
I originally read it wrong.
Cat is CHAT and pronounced SHAH)

In French, the / (accent ague) over an e makes the long A sound (AY) and the
\ (accent grave) over an e makes the short E sound (eh). There is also
another that I couldn't even begin to try to type out. If that mark is
there attached to the c then it is a soft C sound (makes the same sound as
S)
AND...they usually do not pronounce the last letter of a word if it is a
consonant . That is why MÉPLAT does not have a T sound at the end. If the
word was MÉPLATE then it would be pronounced MAY-PLATE
-------------------------------------------------------------

So there ya have it. This question will never have to be asked again! Right? :bigsmyl2:

I had French in school millenniums ago and that little squiggle thing is called an accent(ack-sont) cédille best I remember. There's another over vowels called an accent circonflexe that looks like a little tent. Toilet is actually pronounced twa-let with the T pronounced.

a.squibload
08-20-2011, 05:24 PM
There is a town in Texas. The sign on the highway reads "Mexia" A traveling salesman passed through the town quite often, but never knew how to pronounce the name. One day when not so rushed he stopped into the local Dairy Queen and ordered a cup of coffee. The waitress told him to have a seat in a booth and she would bring him a cup as soon as the new batch was through brewing. When she brought the coffee he asked, "How do you pronounce the name of this place?" The waitress leaned down and very slowly said "Dare-ree Ka-ween." :lol::lol::lol:

The locals pronounce the name of this town "Muh-hay-ah"

How could you do that to me? (I read the whole thang afore I membered it.)

You hear people ask "where is New Brawnsful" (New Braunfels).

And where the he** IS Pleak?

FLDad
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Okay, it's "may-plah." But does that mean I have to fire-form my cases with maypo?