PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 32 Special throat?

Canuck Bob
08-12-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm unable to work on my guns for awhile and was hoping to get an idea what type of throat to expect in a 1951 Winchester 94, 32 Special chamber?

I was surprised to find my Winoku 92, 32-20 has no throat. The rifling starts with a sharp ramp were the neck ends basically. Wondering if I could expect the same, a short, or long throat and sharp or longer ramps.

Edit: Found the SAAMI drawing on Paco's site. Too big to post but shows no throat as such. Has a 15 degree ramp from neck OD to bore in a chamber about .040 longer than the cartridge.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/32%20Winchester%20Special.pdf

It seems SAAMI specs and actual manufacturered specs can vary though.

358 Win
08-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Canuck Bob, here's a very easy way to check yours. Take a fired .32 Special case
and crimp the mouth with a pliars. Next insert a bullet nose first into the case you just crimped with your pliars. Has to be a little snug on the fit. Next chamber
the round with the bullet backwards into your rifle. Fully close the action. Now extract the dummy round and the part that sticks out of the case is the length of
your throat. Have a cleaning rod handy to pop out any bullet that did not extract
with your case. You'll get the hand of it after several attempts. It is more difficult
to explain than to actually do it. Super easy once you get the hang of it. I've done it on most of my rifles. I have many rifles of different action types chambered
for the same round. I work up maximum loads in the shortest throat knowing they
will be safe in the other rifles of same chambering.
358 Win

roysha
08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
This "no throat" thing seems to be the rule in the lever guns I own and have had experience with. In order to shoot the RD 32 and 44 bullets I had to throat both the 32 Special (M-94, also of the 1951 vintage) and my 444 Marlin. Absolutely no throat. An acquaintance has a Jap WIN 86 in 45-70. Same thing. Had to throat it to seat anything but one brand of jacketed bullet. It would not accept any of my cast bullets unless they were seated with the entire driving diameter inside case. That left nowhere to crimp and in a lever gun probably not the best thing.

I checked several boxes of factory ammo for theses three cartridges and several others, 30-30, 35 REM, etc., and in every case the bullet was less than bore diameter so the rounds would chamber freely. These were, of course, jacketed bullets.