PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried...

EOD3
08-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Has anybody tried using a paper-patched boolit in a front-stuffer? It seems to me that a fairly tight paper-patched boolit would allow a significant velocity increase in slow-twist rifles without the possibility of leading.

Obviously, plastic sabot loads could be used but, they are usually less than satisfactory in slow-twist rifles and, I don't like scraping plastic out of the bore.

Nobade
08-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Go down to the muzzle loader room and check out the sticky on the subject. Several people, myself included, make a regular habit of shooting paper patched bullets in muzzle loaders.

As for slow twist barrels, you need to run the stability numbers on your bullet first to see if it is going to work. Most ball twist barrels shoot best with balls. Very short stubby bullets don't have much bearing surface and don't align very well like long ones do.

Wayne Smith
08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
The old slug guns that had a false muzzle were frequently patched with crossed pieces of paper or paper cut into a cross. So yes, it's been done for over a hundred years.