PDA

View Full Version : Range bag contents

bigjason6
08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey everyone! I finally got myself a proper range bag and I'm wondering what would be good to have on hand in it. Right now I have some basic cleaning tools, a couple different brushes, a mag loader, bottle of clp, a can of hornady one shot cleaner, a little bottle of gun oil, a microfiber towel, bore snake, ammo, mags, and of course my springfield xd40.

Any other things you guys could think of that would be good to have on hand? I'm also thinking a couple wooden dowels and a small mallet too since I had a squib the other day. Thanks everyone!

LUCKYDAWG13
08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
ear muffs / plugs
eye protection
screwdriver
staple gun
extra staples
clean rag
targets
paper/pen for notes

LUCKYDAWG13
08-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm also thinking a couple wooden dowels and a small mallet too since I had a squib the other day. Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

i would look for a brass rod

Love Life
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Bore light
Can of Grizzley long cut

stubshaft
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM
DO NOT use wooden dowels to remove a stuck boolit. If it breaks or gets wedged in there you'll be hating life! You would be better off carying a solid cleaning rod.

mnkyracer
08-12-2011, 01:04 AM
+1 on the screwdriver. One with removable tips works best for me as I can carry a lot of different tips without having to carry a tool box around.

C.F.Plinker
08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Hat
Sunscreen
Masking tape/target pasters
Chart of sight adjustments
Marks a lot pen
Wind indicator
Spare magazines
Peanut butter jar for picking up brass
Empty chamber indicators where required for matches and league
Clipboard for league and match scorecards
Scoring overlays
Grease
Spare parts that you have needed at the range
Spare batteries for electronic ear muffs and red dot sights

Artful
08-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Define Range bag! - your getting a mix on here of Tool box items IMHO.
Shooting bag carries Guns in cases, Ammo for guns, Water, bag for brass, Mini-binoculars, targets (used to carry dry cleaning plastic bag in Oregon to keep targets dry) and tape brown & blue, Staplegun & staples, Soft Pencil to score. semi edible snack bars, shooting gloves, ear plugs and muffs, shooting glasses, oil and rag, Extra Magazines and/or loaders - sight adjustment tools and spare battery if needed for gun sights - muffs - etc. This the minimum that I carry up to the line.

Tool box - (actually a plano multi tray fisherman's tackle box)
I use a M16 22 cal sectional rod (two sets) with brushes, jags, Mops and loops and I keep in the box pull thru's (bore snakes) for 22, 30, 35, 45 and larger barrels like shotguns.

I have hammer with changable tips (rubber, hard plastic, lead, brass) and punch's, brownell's screwdriver set (flat, phillips, hex), Jewelers screw drivers, strap wrench, cresent wrenth, Allen wrench set in metric and inch, needle files, Hard stone, large flat single cut file, triangular file - one end re-shaped into a point/scraper, Large flat blade screw driver pry bar for things like buttstock screws - FAL buttstock tool.

Hemostats (Medical clamps) in assorted sizes, pliars, SAK and pen knife,steel 6" machinest ruler, subsonic 22 ammo, colored dot, syringe, 1911 bushing wrench, spare scope rings, spare AR15 bolthead,
Pipe cleaners, borelight & laser pointer, brushes (nylon, brass, stainless steel), Marker, Pencil, pen, notepad, more ear plugs, Flitz, CLP, JB compound, Solvent, GI grease, windex squeeze bottle small, wire pull gel small, Paper towels half a dozen in plastic freezer bag.

Assorted mini picks/awls, Digital Calipers, Electronic Multi-Meter, Patches in 22, 30 and 45, Plastic gloves, Teflon Plumbers Tape, Loctite, Hole punch, chamber flags, Dummy round/snap caps in assorted sizes, spare parts - screws, springs etc. paper clips and push pins, copper wire in assorted sizes to make slave pins if needed. some large bundle type paper clips, coins in assorted sizes to make calls or generally use with sights. BiC Lighter to carbon up/ Blacken sights, Lead away cloth, Silicone cloth, thread adaptors for mounting suppressors on guns with different thread pitches.

Hoping I didn't miss much.

crabo
08-12-2011, 05:17 AM
One of my bags has my forend rest, assorted sandbags, targets, a few tools, stapler, and the spotting scope and stand. It is heavy enough that it goes on the folding cart, along with the piece of plywood that I clamp to the bench to make a better shooting top. It is not a range bag, but a larger gear bag we got from Marlboro. My wife would pick up discarded cigarette packs and redeem the points.

I stack other bags on top of that.

My pistol bag has a range rod, lube, eye and ear protection, and an extra magazine for every gun that requires one. It also has a few tools in it.

This is nowhere near complete, but you get the idea. The multi bag system is very flexible, except when you leave the ammo bag at home.

bobthenailer
08-12-2011, 07:12 AM
My shooting bag weighs 15 lb with no guns, ammo , targets , stapler or rests in it , but i usually have everything i need
including spare parts, extra recoil springs , extra batteries for the red dot sights. so i can do range repairs on any of my handguns, if i go to matches i bring alont a spare red dot sight thats allready sighted in as ive had one go bad at a match.

I have one bag for the guns & stuff and another for the ammo and a PO type container with folding doors where all of the normal range equipment stays in my SUV 24 /7 along with a brass wizzard , electric fan , and back stop mining equipment.

Duckiller
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
No wood dowel! Brass rods are ideal for removing stuck boolits. For pistols remove the barrel(s) and take them to your local metal store to find rods that fit with little slop. Make sure the rods are long enough. Mine are approximately twice as long as the barrel. This allows a 45ACP rod to be used in a 71/2" Colt. Small brass hammer is also helpful.

KYCaster
08-12-2011, 07:06 PM
One bag can't do it all.

I have a general purpose bag that holds most of the tools and accessories I need along with 1911 mags and 45 ACP ammo since that's what I shoot most often. Tool kit isn't as complete as Artful's, but covers most tasks.

I also have separate bags for each caliber/division. 22 RF, AR15, shotgun, 38/.357, etc., etc. These have anything unique to the particular gun/caliber....ammo, mags, holster, mag pouches, speed loaders, choke tubes/wrench, batteries, bore brushes....anything that's not in the general tool kit.

So I normally take at least two bags to the range, often more.

Oh yeah, there's another bag I take when I'm working as an RO at a match. It has a battery powered drill/driver, saw, extra battery, charger, claw hammer, two pound machinist's hammer, screws, nails, stapler with assortment of staples, zip ties(three sizes), 25 ft tape, 100 ft tape, duct tape, masking tape(brown, blue and black), caution marking tape, spray paint(white, black, orange), insect repellent, aspirin, neproxin, sun screen........

Sometimes it feels like moving day.........:bigsmyl2:

Jerry

para45lda
08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Waterless hand cleaner and paper towels. Seems like the water never is working when I'm at range.

shooterg
08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
The trunk of my car IS my range bag !Gun,ammo,spotting scope , mat, staplers, targets,pasters,bags and rests, tool kit, cleaning supplies, scorebooks, stool, backup guns,more ammo). Leaves the interior open for cooler, butane cooker, more ammo cans. 2 weeks ago we had a .22 match for a BSA troop, had 12 rifles, 3000 rounds, 8 spotting scopes/stands ON TOP of above(back seat full too) This in a Dodge Neon !

Ickisrulz
08-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Waterless hand cleaner and paper towels. Seems like the water never is working when I'm at range.

Or baby wet wipes.

btroj
08-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Mine generally has screwdrivers, ear plugs, and a pen. Otherwise it is gun specific. Mine is more of an ammo carry all.
There is no right answer here. Carry what you feel necessary. Carry what you are willing to lug arou d.

Southern Son
08-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Mine generally has screwdrivers, ear plugs, and a pen. Otherwise it is gun specific. Mine is more of an ammo carry all.
There is no right answer here. Carry what you feel necessary. Carry what you are willing to lug around.

Bingo.
My missus bought me a tool box set that came with one large tool box with wheels and a handle so that you can roll it along the ground behind me and a second tool box that locks onto the lid of the first.

The big one is about 18 inches tall by 30 inches wide by 18 inches deep. When I shoot rifle everything except my bench rest, cleaning rods and rifle.

The smaller one holds my gear for pistol shooting. The second one is a fair bit smaller, but it is still big enough to hold everything needed for a pistol comp, except belt/holster.

I have seen someone using a fishing tackle box for his range bag, a few that are home hade in wood. You need to sit down, work out what you will need at the range, and then how you want to haul it.

canyon-ghost
08-13-2011, 08:45 AM
The best thing I have, aside from miniature screwdrivers to set sights and tape and targets, is a cheap sectional cleaning rod. The really cheap aluminum one can be used to knock a stuck bullet out of the bore and you don't have to care what it does to the ends. If it's cheap you can always replace it. Business cards are good to write scope settings down on too.

Ron

casterofboolits
08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
My range bag is mission specific. Am I going to an IPSC match, plinking, testing new handloads or pistol./rifle?

My bag always contains a small tool role that inludes a small hammer and eight inch 1/4" brass rod, 1911 bushing wrench, Allan wrench set, small screw driver, small Mag light, magnifying glass (old eyes),etc. Small bottle of CLP Break Free, small first aid kit, towel (Japanese bath towel), baby wipes, spare ear plugs, ear muffs, Spare gun just in case for matches, magizines, spare battery for dot sight. Ammo is in a separate 30 cal. can.

Other tools as neccasary in a seperte bag. Cordless drill, stapler, staples.

Basicly, whatever I think I will need for a day of shooting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-13-2011, 09:05 AM
:shock: wholly krap !
after reading this thread, I realize I never have enough kit :(

I usually hit the range with just guns and ammo, targets and staplegun.
If there is problems, I shoot the next gun or just go home,
Luckily I've never had to go home promptly after the first attempt to shoot a gun.
Jon

375supermag
08-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I carry an MTM plastic container with a can of Gunscrubber, oil, Remwipes, a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers, two sets of earmuffs, a box cutter, staple gun, a box of push pins, a pack of shoot-n-see targets, ammunition, etc.

I carry an cleaning kit made for rifles, shotguns and handguns that came in a fitted aluminum case. It contains all of the rods, brushes, jags, patches, etc.

I carry a four pistol hard plastic foam lined handgun case and a leather multiple compartment range bag for transporting the various handguns. A hard plastic two gun case generally suffices for the rifles or shotguns.

Clay birds and shotgun shells are transported in the cases they are purchased in.

I keep a large supply of heavy cardboard target boards in my garage. I always take several to the range.

I generally fill up the back seat of my truck with stuff for a shooting excursion, but we are generally there all day (at least, 5-6 hours).

GT27
08-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Boresnake,along with what everyone else put here...

Kraschenbirn
08-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Whaddaya Need?

Tool kit (w/take-down cleaning rod), ear/eye protection, elbow pads/shooting gloves, cleaning supplies, spotting scope/tripod, ammo, notebook, targets/target pasters, staplegun/stables, golfer's towel, LED borelight, spare batteries, a couple of beanbags, water bottle, wet-wipes, cigar lighter, and empty plastic bags for brass and trash.

Bill

Bill*
08-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised I didn't see more first aid kits

Kraschenbirn
08-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Don't know 'bout anyone else, but I carry the same OSHA-compliant first-aid kits in my personal vehicles as I maintained in each of my work trucks when I ran my contracting business.

Bill

Dragoon 45
08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Doesn't anyone use Pistol Boxes anymore?

Artful
08-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Doesn't anyone use Pistol Boxes anymore?

I own two and quit using after USPSA comp daze were behind me.

This 5.11 bag tactical bag works just fine
http://www.opticsplanet.net/511-59049.html
http://cf.mp-cdn.net/7f/f8/7f438a7591c582f81cd30b09e3fe.jpg

Artful
08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Whaddaya Need?

Tool kit (w/take-down cleaning rod), ear/eye protection, elbow pads/shooting gloves, cleaning supplies, spotting scope/tripod, ammo, notebook, targets/target pasters, staplegun/stables, golfer's towel, LED borelight, spare batteries, a couple of beanbags, water bottle, wet-wipes, cigar lighter, and empty plastic bags for brass and trash.

Bill

Nice Bill, how is it at lifting up into an SUV (ie. how much weight) and how does it roll in gravel?

crabo
08-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Nice Bill, how is it at lifting up into an SUV (ie. how much weight) and how does it roll in gravel?

I put larger wheels on my wheeler so it would roll over rough stuff better.

Artful
08-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I put larger wheels on my wheeler so it would roll over rough stuff better.

So needs upgrading to roll in the rough - what did you pick for wheels? Golf cart or wheel barrow or ?

Artful
08-14-2011, 01:01 AM
First Aid kit in every Car/SUV etc - specific to my and my families needs.

Kraschenbirn
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM

My range box is a customized Stanley Tool Caddy. Modifications consist, mainly, of installing dividers in the large compartments and some reinforcing here and there to increase overall rigidity. The factory 7" dia. x 1 1/2" wide plastic wheels are okay on most gravel (so long as its fairly well compacted) and basic loaded weight is just over 25 lbs (without ammo).

Bill

Down South
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Guns, Mags, Stappler, ammo, Hearing protection. Targets don't fit in a range bage so they are in the other hand.