PDA

View Full Version : Levergun sight adjustment

corvette8n
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I got confused at the range the other day, my Marlin 1895 45-70 is shooting high, I have a peep sight on the rear, factory blade on the front, one guys tells me to raise the rear sight the other says lower it.
shooting factory Rem. and Win 300gr ammo.
any links to shooting and adjusting peep and open sights appreciated.

txbirdman
01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Rule of thumb is change the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to shoot or do the opposite with the front sight. So to make your Marlin shoot lower either lower the back; raise the front; or do a little of both.

No_1
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree with tcbirdman. I have found with my Marlin GG that the installation of a peepsite will work with the front site but only when the peep is at the absolute lowest it can be. A lower front site is on the roundtuit list....

Robert

Rule of thumb is change the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to shoot or do the opposite with the front sight. So to make your Marlin shoot lower either lower the back; raise the front; or do a little of both.

woody1
01-19-2007, 07:48 PM

This is absolutely correct in case you're looking for confirmation. Regards, Woody

Mar354
01-19-2007, 07:58 PM
txbirdman has it right, but no1 says in his post that a lower front sight is on the todolist. It would be a higher front sight to get your rear sight up from the minimum elevation position.

hpdrifter
01-19-2007, 07:58 PM
concur.

mtngunr
01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
And let me add a suggestion to anyone planning on moving that front sight...if the blade is dovetailed in a soldered on ramp, you'd be wise to support that ramp on the side with some sort of pillow block made of aluminum or brass while you are whanging away at the front sight with a punch....I cannot count how many front ramps I've seen that were knocked off the barrel by someone not supporting the ramp....

No_1
01-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I was only speaking of my rifle's condition and how I need to correct it since I have run out of downward adjustment. Mine is all the way down and still shooting a little high at 100 yrds.

Robert

txbirdman has it right, but no1 says in his post that a lower front sight is on the todolist. It would be a higher front sight to get your rear sight up from the minimum elevation position.

444Hal
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I concur. If you can't lower the back, then you gotta raise the front.

Or use heavier bullets .:lol:

I put a WW ghost sight on my 1895 and it shot ok on low, but I also had to bring it (gun) up high to sight. So I installed a taller front “Fire Sight” and got that “quick sight & shoot” back. I always raise the front sight when I raise the rear, just to keep it balanced

angleiron
11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I have installed a Williams WGRS rear peep sight with the so called matching fire sight dovetailed to the front sight base on my Marlin 1895G in 45-70 that I got from Midway as a "set" for the Marlin 1895G. The original front sight was .280" overall height (.178" from the base to the top), and the new fire sight fiber optic is .475" overall height (.396" from the base to the top). I took it to my gunsmith for a bore sight and he said that the front sight was so high that he had to adjust the rear sight to it's lowest setting, almost interfering with the hammer and just hanging on to the sight ramp. Also he adjusted the windage of the peep sight all the way to the left to stay in the center of the bore sight screen. Has anyone encountered these problems. I have yet to shoot groups because I'm still shooting factory Hornady LeverEvolution's and I'm waiting for my new dies so that I can shoot cheap cast boolits. I'm I waisting my time, or should I just go with a scope?

444Hal
11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Got that sight on my Marlin 336 30/30. Worked well "as is".
I'd check it out on the range just to be sure.

krag35
11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
A friend of mine told me years ago how to remember. FORS "fours" Front sight Opposite, Rear sight Same" Works for windage adjustments too.

jbgoodstok
12-02-2007, 01:53 AM
How high is high? If it is only 2-3 inches at 100 yards perhaps leave it alone and plan on dead on shots out to 150 - 200 yards maybe more for lighter faster bullets - just a thought - jb:)

jh45gun
12-02-2007, 02:12 AM
I got the opposite problem on a muzzle loader my peep sight is maxed out to the top to shoot a bit high at 25 yards. I know the front is opposite of the rear but to get the peep somewhere in the lower regions of its range do I lower the front sight? That is what I thought I had to do but now I am confused again.

IcerUSA
12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
jh , yes , you would lower the front then adjust the rear lower to be at the same POA . Raiseing the front would only move the point of impact down in your instance .

IIRC

Keith

Three44s
12-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I had a Williams peep installed on my Marlin 1894CS and with it ran all the way down it still shoot high.

I erronerously thought that it would only take a bit of change ...... so I judiously ground off the bottom of the peep sight frame ....... and got it lower. But not low enough.

The other day, I installed the Lyman 17 front globe sight in .494" height and now have my adjustability back. POI where ever I want it.

My Marlin is dovetailed for the front sight and it was a simple filing job on the front sight to get it to fit.

My only regret is that I did not buy the larger globe.

Three 44s

jh45gun
12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
jh , yes , you would lower the front then adjust the rear lower to be at the same POA . Raiseing the front would only move the point of impact down in your instance .

IIRC

Keith

Pretty much what I thought thanks for the confirmation. Guess I will have to look for a lower ramp.

angleiron
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Just back from the range with my Marlin 1895G 45-70 with the Williams WGRS peep sight and that high fire sight with the peep at it's lowest position and Win X4570H 300 gr fact ammo. It shot 15" below point of aim at 25 yds and 10" below point of aim at 50 yds. I'm going to whiddle off a max of 1/16" of the rear sight base, but it might not do much. The 325 gr LeverEvolution ammo shot 11" low at 50 yds.

freedom475
12-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Just back from the range with my Marlin 1895G 45-70 with the Williams WGRS peep sight and that high fire sight with the peep at it's lowest position and Win X4570H 300 gr fact ammo. It shot 15" below point of aim at 25 yds and 10" below point of aim at 50 yds. I'm going to whiddle off a max of 1/16" of the rear sight base, but it might not do much. The 325 gr LeverEvolution ammo shot 11" low at 50 yds.

If your peep is at its lowest position and your hitting low, Just raise the peep. No need to file more off the base.

This subject is not as confusing as it seems.

REAR SIGHT= Move the SAME direction you wish to move the boolit. UP-DOWN<LEFT-RIGHT

FRONT SIGHT= MOVE the OPPISITE direction you want to move the boolit. UP-DOWN>LEFT-RIGHT