PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion

Ed in North Texas
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
When folks ask about a particular firearm, it would be very helpful if they would post the model of the firearm about which they are asking the question. This is particularly true for firearms which have a wide number of models known by a generic name or prolific maker. Don't ask about a Winchester when you have a US Model 1917 made by Winchester, or a Mauser without telling us what model and maker of Mauser you have. Of course that is only if you know you have a Argentine Model 1891 made by Lowe, or a "Commission" 1888. Knowing this type of information would help people answer the question, and let people avoid spending their time giving an answer about a firearm which isn't in the question.

Just a suggestion for the future, soon to be forgotten. For those of us suffering from advanced CRS, we have an "out". :mrgreen:

Ed

Harter66
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Good suggestion, if known a vintage is a huge asset to some makes/models.

DIRT Farmer
08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Ed just got back from the ENT (ear, nose throat) Dr, found out I have CHS (can't hear stuff) along with CRS.
Good sugestion, my main area of (limited )knolage is muzzle loading. More info in theorigonal post is good.

Ed in North Texas
08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Ed just got back from the ENT (ear, nose throat) Dr, found out I have CHS (can't hear stuff) along with CRS.
Good sugestion, my main area of (limited )knolage is muzzle loading. More info in theorigonal post is good.

I didn't need an ENT to tell me that I have CHS. Being in an Artillery Battery ( M-110 8" Howitzer) eliminates the need for the ENT's professional opinion. :bigsmyl2:

I've been told the Army now issues real hearing protection, not just silly little rubber plugs. Should help.

Ed

MtGun44
08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I love it when somebody says "I've got a M95. . . ." OK, 1895 Mauser, 1895 Winchester,
1895 Marlin (new or old), A Steyr Stutzen, or a Barrett Model 95?

Yikes!

Bill

DIRT Farmer
08-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I have noticed those big bores boom, but they don't seem as loud as they use to be. A blank out of a six pounder with 3/4 pound of black don't seem to change the ringing now.

waksupi
08-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I have noticed those big bores boom, but they don't seem as loud as they use to be. A blank out of a six pounder with 3/4 pound of black don't seem to change the ringing now.

I believe you are right. After a large charge down at Twyman's in Missouri, courtesy of some of Smitty's white lighting, and Uncle Turp's Cannon works, I can't hear much of anything from my left ear, and darn little from my right anymore. I have no idea why I was elected to fire the cannon. I must have been looking particularly stupid that night.

DIRT Farmer
08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Waksupi, I think I have been there, but a different location, differant guys. A simular incident involving West Virgina shine.

Hardcast416taylor
08-13-2011, 01:39 PM
How did this thread go from firearm I.D. to deafness?Robert

303Guy
08-15-2011, 06:16 AM
How did this thread go from firearm I.D. to deafness?Reality of shooting?[smilie=1:

It's the way normal conversation goes.:mrgreen:

Of course the OP's suggestion is valid and a very good one!

largom
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Just like the guy that calls on the phone and says "I've got a 30-06 rifle that won't shoot, how much will it cost to fix it?"

Then again, with hearing aids in both ears, maybe I don't hear all of the question.

Larry