PDA

View Full Version : Good case for CB's

Freightman
01-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Was at the range the other day there was a man there with a 300 something Weatherby Mag and he was having a hard time getting it to shoot as he wanted it to. He made the statement that he had 500 rounds through it and it was time for a new barrel.
If I had to replace a barrel every 500 rounds there is no way for me to afford to shoot. I can do that many in a month with my Hakim and M1 Garand. Sure glad I use cast.

Char-Gar
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
If fired to fast, some of those super blaster screamers can burn the throats pretty quick. Offer to buy the old barrel for $20.00. Cut off a couple of inches at the breech, rethread, chamber and fit it to one of your rifles and then go shoot one hole cast groups.

Freightman
01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Good Idea! I also have a friend who dabbles as a gun smith and he has a new militard configuration 98 Mauser barrel in 30-06 I think I am going to buy or trade for and put on a Mauser that has a junk barrel.

SharpsShooter
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Great idea! That barrel is just broke in and polished good. It ought to shoot cast nicely.

SS

Mar354
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Good one Chargar! I like the way you think. I don't know about that Weatherby barrel as they are quite thin after the shank, if you cut off a couple of inches you may not have anything to thread to. I have been using for quite a number of years now about any Remington 700 or M70 Winchester barrel for this exact purpose. I know the number I have used is well into the hundreds and if you start with a good one they always seem to perform well. I am mostly a .30 caliber guy and you can generally get very nice to new Remington 700 barrels in .308 or .30-06 for very low prices. I always time the threads to get the original sight holes in their proper position when the barrel is torqued up and headspaced not only for appearance sake but also so the sights can be used. I get a real kick out of many of the local gun experts when they see a 98 Mauser with a barrel that says Remington arms on the side. I have heard some real good storys on how that could have happened. My daughter hunts with a Ruger 77 that has a Remington 700 .243 barrel on it. That one really gets them wondering.

9.3X62AL
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Franken-Rifles!

Welcome to the board, Mar.

Mar354
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Thank you sir, I have found it quite enjoyable since I found you all a few days back. I also like the Franken rifle thing. I will use it myself with your permission.