PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold mods

AbitNutz
08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok, so the last mold I got from BigLube doesn't appear to be a Lee. It has a set screw where the cam lever hits it. It is clearly more robust and better made. Just like everyone says all Lee molds should, to paraphrase someone "Steel against aluminum is not good".

I have a bunch of other Lee molds that I intend to modify in the following manner and another BigLube that I love that is older than my 210 that I expect is of Lee manufacture.

I'm going to drill and tap for a stainless set screw of the appropriate size for the cam pivot, one to lock the sprue plate pivot screw and one to hold the screw the sprue plate locks up against.

I think me and my meager drill press and tap and die set can handle the soft aluminum.

Since I use the two BigLube molds the most now...I'm a reborn BP shooter. I'm equipping them Red River cam levers, handles and Jim's Steel sprue plates.

Anything doing is worth doling to excess....forgive me. I just can't help it.

Also, I had Erik, from Hollow Point bullets, make HP's out of the first three cavities using his inset method and extractor. Erik doesn't do machine work...he makes jewelry.

Thank you for letting me bore you....

MT Gianni
08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Look up the sticky on Leementing a mold. Don't stop with just the steel screw.

AbitNutz
08-11-2011, 10:08 AM
That is quite a bit of information. I haven't noticed many of the issues that they have fixes for. Maybe as the molds age.

Right now, they seem to cast and drop really well and are correctly sized. At least the few I've checked. The more I see, the more I'm positive that BigLube molds are no longer made by Lee.

leadman
08-12-2011, 11:50 PM
I have not had the need to add the screws either. Keep the pivot points, pins, area where the sprue plate cams off from lubed with Bullplate and you should have no problems. Use Bullplate lube on the top of the blocks per instructions also.

Very important to get the mold hot before casting. If the sprue won't cut use the flat tip screwdriver between the cam and block to get the leverage back and it should cut fine.