PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt FCDs!

Ranch Dog
08-10-2011, 06:01 PM
My Factory Crimp Dies (http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53_54) are in stock but going fast! These are Lee special order collet type dies for the:

357 Mag
41 Mag
44 Mag
45 Colt

No carbide sizing ring! A collet type die for your small cartridge leverguns!

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/images/TLC454290RF_01.jpg

I also have FCDs for the 308 and 338 Marlin Express.

Rice-n-Beans
08-12-2011, 12:35 AM
I just ordered the .357 FCD, thanks for the heads up! :guntootsmiley:

Ziptar
08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Didn't even know these were available.

I just ordered the last 45 Colt die. :D Looking forward to getting it.

Catshooter
08-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Ordered and delivered and thank you very much Michael!

Cat

7of7
08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I am with Ziptar on this.. didn't know they were available.. Needless to say I ordered one..

Jeff H
08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I didn't quite make it on the .357 but I signed up for e-mail notification of "in-stock" status. Did the same for the 359175.

Thanks for the heads-up, Michael.:drinks:

7of7
08-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I got mine today..
Check it out...
Photo (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35022&stc=1&d=1313710887)

Ranch Dog
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Damn! Looks like someone stepped on it. I'm really surprised it made it there! Was the red box busted?

Ranch Dog
08-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I ran out of these dies within a few days but should have an additional 30 of each here next week and a great quantity in a month or so. With any new item there is that initial buying surge so it is a bit hard to estimate the demand. As with the other stuff, I'm working to have it all in inventory all the time.

Ziptar
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I got mine today..
Check it out...

Yikes, the 800lb Postal Gorillas strike again!

I received mine yesterday. I'm using it to tomorrow to make up some load and I try them out Sunday.

white eagle
08-19-2011, 08:06 PM
I have a stupid question
when you look at the r/d page that lists these dies
it shows a bullet that stick up thru the die and can see the
collet closure
on my 45 colt dies mine is nowhere near that ....
is this normal ????

Ziptar
08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a stupid question
collet closure
is this normal ????

Not having used it yet, I can't 100% but in looking it over I'd say the shell holder hits the base before the bullet pokes out the top on a 45 Colt. The picture is a long bottle neck rifle cartridge and bullet so it sticks out.

Jeff H
08-19-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a stupid question
collet closure
is this normal ????

Definitely not a stupid question. I was unaware of the differences in construction between rifle and pistol FCDs until earlier this year when I got my hands on one of the pistol dies.

The picture on the site is of a rifle FCD.
Rifle and pistol FCDs are different - no collet in the pistol type.

Michael's pistol FCDs also omit the carbide sizing ring (which would not be possible in the collet-typee rifle FCD) and retains the crimp portion which is sort of a roll crimp but capable of ironing the case mouth right into the side of the projectile, regardless of whether there is a crimp groove.

The bullet will not stick out the top of the .45 Colt die like they do on the rifle dies.

7of7
08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
one other thing to mention. They do work with the Dillon presses. but you may have to do some work with the lock ring. It needs to be opened up a little more so it can go past the end of the threads on the top. I just put mine on the lathe and left one full thread in the lock ring.. works great. For this price, I think I can do a little tinkering with it to make it work, otherwise, it still works great on the single stage..
Mike, no the red box was not damaged. It did make the box easier to open.. just use the hole the post office provided...LMAO!!! Just happy it wasn't something that could be broken..otherwise it would have been...

BCall
08-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry Jeff H, you have some mis-information there. I just got my 41 mag FCD from Ranchdog, and he has had these made as RIFLE type FCD's because he didn't want the carbide ring. These are not simply altered pistol type dies, they are in fact rifle type dies for straight walled pistol cases, for use in lever guns.

This is a pic if a rifle FCD on the left(a 22 hornet one), my new 41 Mag RD FCD, and a pistol type FCD(this one happens to be for a 25 ACP). Incidentally, the 22 hornet FCD doesn't have a boolit sticking out of the top in use either, it is too short.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851752.jpg

Pic 2 shows the collet inside the 41 mag die that you say isn't there. I didn't disassemble the die as they are kinda hard to get apart, unlike the pistol die I have disassembled in the second picture to show the internals.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851753.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851754.jpg

Ziptar
08-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I just got done loading up some 45 Colt with the Ranch Dog FCD.

I also loaded up 10 using the Pistol FCD just to compare them, thought some would find it helpful or interesting.

http://www.ziptar.com/reloading/Lee_RFCD_vs_Lee_PFCD.jpg

Left: Crimped using Ranch Dog's Collet FCD. It was adjusted so the the 4 splits in the collet were fully closed on the upstroke, maximum crimp.

Middle: Lee Pistol FCD. Adjusted as per Lee's instructions for a heavy crimp, the adjusting screw turned in one full turn from touching the case mouth.

Right: Lee Pistol FCD, the adjusting screw turned in two full turns from touching the case mouth (over crimp).

The Collet FCD provides a much heavier and wider crimp right at the crimp groove than the standard pistol FCD adjusted for a "Heavy Crimp". You can also see that trying to adjust the pistol FCD to deliver a heavier crimp doesn't. It's no longer a roll crimp but more of a pinched band at the top of the case. You can also see that the bullet has been swaged somewhat. The case mouth and bullet are the same size and almost flush. The crimp on the over crimped pistol FCD round mics at .4422. The bullets were all sized .452.

Using Ranch Dog's FCD it's virtually impossible to over crimp and the bullet does not get swaged down.

Interesting stuff, now I am off to shoot'em. :D

Ranch Dog
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
That is a great picture and description Ziptar. Mind if I use it and reference your comments?

Ziptar
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Not at all! Feel Free. You did a fine job with these dies, I am very pleased!

Here's another picture you can use if you like. I haven't had a chance to post it here yet.

I shot the 10 Pistol FCD crimped rounds first, then I shot the Rifle FCD Rounds. The difference in the amount of soot on the cases was noticeable between the two crimps.

http://www.ziptar.com/reloading/RFCD_vs_PFCD_soot_difference.jpg

Pistol FCD Crimped are on top, Rifle FCD are on the bottom. (I misplaced one of the Pistol FCD empties and I got the 3rd case in the top row and the last case in the bottom row mixed up when I took the picture but, you get the idea .)

They were all loaded the same with 9 grains of Unique, the same 250 gr RF bullets using the same lube.

The 6th case on the bottom is split but, I don't blame the die, some of my brass is going on 12 or more reloads, I lost count.

Catshooter
08-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Michael,

I want the same die in .45 Auto Rim with a roll crimp please!

Cat

Jeff H
08-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Sorry Jeff H, you have some mis-information there....

Whoa! Look at that!
Now I REALLY regret missing mine.

Thanks for the correction. I was a day late when I went to order mine.
Waiting on the next batch with even more anticipation now.

Love Life
11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just ordered my 357 FCD from Ranch Dog Outdoors!! Anybody else have the 357 FCD and use it in revolvers?

357shooter
11-21-2011, 09:28 PM
I just ordered one as well, for my Rossi lever action and Blackhawk. How did I miss this????

What a great idea from Ranch Dog. :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Love Life
11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I'll be using mine in a couple S&W 28-2 revolvers.

afish4570
11-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just ordered my 357 FCD from Ranch Dog Outdoors!! Anybody else have the 357 FCD and use it in revolvers?

I have a RD 357/38 mold for the 175 aprox. gr. and the 357 Lee RD sizing die....afish4570:idea:

Love Life
11-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I have a RD 357/38 mold for the 175 aprox. gr. and the 357 Lee RD die....afish4570:idea:

Ok. Do you use the boolits crimped with it in revolvers?