PDA

View Full Version : Swaging tools ?

shooterg
08-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Got these along with some homemade bullets from stuff left by a long time Gone to the Big Range shooter. Must be a partial set of homemade swaging tools ? made to fit in what kind of press ? The bullets fit in both of the cylinders perfect - maybe the decapping pin was used as an ejector on the solid point up die ? The punches obviously all fit the deal with the square head bolt.
This guy was a rabid .22 Hornet shooter BTW.

firefly1957
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Looks like they were made for a arbor press to me I would think it was a high capacity model. It takes more than one ton to do the work.

Here is a picture of one that I do not think is big enough for the purpose but may give you a idea how things fit.http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

MIBULLETS
08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I think there should be a sleeve that the two pieces with the bullet cavity slide into.

shooterg
08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Yup, gotta be missing pieces. The punch in the "mount" is definitely for derimming. I just pushed an annealed .22LR through a Lee .224 sizing die with it, the resulting jacket measures same as those I make with my Blackmon derimmer ! The shortest punch looks to be what you'd push the core/jacket combo into the "ogive shaper" which would leave some lead exposed, push it out with the "ejector"(modified decap rod) and then go to the split die, which would form the nose(I think). The old bullets seem to fit those "dies" perfect. One of the other punches looks to be a "point up" punch, but no die sleeve to push it into was with the parts. Other punch looks to be for core seat, but again , no die. The guy's son knew nothing about reloading/swaging, it's a shame, looks like he put some thought into it and the resulting bullets were quite nice ! Guess I'll never know for sure what kinda press, but very well may have been homemade also.