PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1887

Hednign
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Well its a levergun question even though its not a rifle....

I just wonder if the original 1887 ever was produced with a bright color. Bright color on the magazine tube and receiver. Blueing on the barrel. I dont mean bright case color hardening, but more like a nickel look, might be polished to look that way....

Im confused as some say there was a premium model, and some say the rare 70-150 version got this configuration. I just need to know as Im about to buy one that has a "nickel" looking receiver and magazine tube. I dont want to buy something that has been messed with at some point after manufacture....

cajun shooter
08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
They were never made in a nickel finish that was the entire gun. they were made from 1887 till 1901. In 1901 they were made with heavy duty construction and in 10 gauge only. They were offered with in a Premium finish case colored finish. The barrels were what was called fluid steel.

Hednign
08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Aha ok.... I have been reading a lot of stuff lately and some articles mention that Winchester made a model they called "Premium". And it did not have a nickel plating, but more like a polished steel kind of look. Im still a bit uncertain about this. Doesent matter much because the shotgun that was for sale got sold before I could do anything about it. Too many dineros involved too.

Thanks for the effort guys.

cajun shooter
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Just for your information the 1887 Winchester was designed by non other than the master himself, MR. John Moses Browning. If you ever find a good one they will bring some good money. I owned a reproduction and the workings of the gun are amazing to see. One huge piece that was made from one piece of steel. The cost of production in today's world would be up there if made in the USA.