PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 roller

tcoupe24
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine just finished a roller project and has been shooting Pioneer Powder behind a 235 grain jacketed bullet. Says it is quite accurate and has no fouling. I know not legal for matches but he is trying to work up a hunting load and to use it for general shooting.

bigted
08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
first off... welcome to the greatest posting forum on earth. and secondly...PICTURES OF THE ROLLER PLEASE?

seem like a lite bullet for a 45-70 especially for hunting. what kinda hunting and for what?? if your 'friend' is going for rogue moose or the occasional grizz then better take out an insurance policy on him as you are going to be in line for a pay-off with that 230 grain pill at 45-70 velocity's

on the other hand ...if venison is going to be the wildest thing around...id still get a heavier bullet [read 350 to 500 ish grain] for the roller as it will provide the needed penetration for just about anything.

more info man and photos photos photos...oh and a couple pictures of the roller would be nice too.

tcoupe24
08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree I,m sure he will end up casting something but for now he is just messing around with stuff he has on the shelf. He got his hands on one of those Gatling Gun 1 1/8" barrels and had a smith turn it down and taper it. The gun was pretty unique when he picked it up and the barrel was scrap. Tryed to bore it for a liner but it must have had some hard spots and the boreing tool went off center and ruined the barrel. Its a saddle ring carbine and looks pretty good now. As far as pictures neither of us know how to post them and not so sure guys our age want to learn.

tcoupe24
08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
I also have a roller that I rebuilt a few years ago put a Green Mountain 1 1/8" oct. on it and milled the receiver sporting style to match the oct. Had trigger work done on it it turned out to be a very accurate BPCR. I have done rather well in matches up to 600yd. Using 535 gr. postells. I stocked it with flame and curly grain maple and poured a Sharps style pewter nose cap. If someone could walk me through the photo posting ordeal I would put a few photos up.

tcoupe24
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I got a photo as far as the cast boolits image hosting but cant figure out how to get it here.