PDA

View Full Version : Homemade barrel extension

Junior1942
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I whacked off the barrel of my Turk 38 8x57 Mauser to 17" for some reason. Now, I can't take the fierce muzzle blast. The end of the barrel is .685" in diameter. Why couldn't I slip a close-fitting piece of water pipe over the end of the barrel and increase the barrel's OAL about 3"? Reamed out 5/8" would work, huh? I think 3 or 4 easy-to-install set screws would keep it on, especially with added J&B Weld. Suggestions? Pipe suggestions?

I could even drill some 1/8" holes on top of the pipe section for blast relief, huh? I don't care what it looks like. I want function, not form. I want cheap, too.

akajun
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
You can do it, many target shooters do and call it an extension tube in order to gain an increased sight radius. However they are precision machined and glued on, set screwed on, or threaded on and will change your zeros.

Also all that weight flopping around on the front of your barrell not tightly fitted will kill your accuracy.

KCSO
08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Set it on with acraglass and you will be good to go unless you get your barrel hotter than 250 degrees.

deltaenterprizes
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
That would be called a flash hider, may work, may not, try it and let us know.

Drago
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
If it changes the decibel level by even one or two decibels, the BATFE can decide it's a silencer.

junkbug
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I believe it has to have baffles to be considered a silencer. Regardless, extentions have been used for decades, sometimes to make guns legal. Carcano carbines and Swedish Mauser carbines had extentions put on them to make them legal to import, before the BATF decided to allow rifles to be legal at 16" instead of 18". The tube I've seen is called a Tubb tube, named after a High Power rifle compeditor. it has a front sight mounted at the end of it.

danski26
08-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Yep....works fine. High power shooters use them all the time. The better its made the less it affects things.

bruce drake
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
We (Highpower Shooters) call them Bloop Tubes and they do extend the sight radius if the sights are placed on the end of the tube. They can be mounted with setscrews or threaded onto the end of the barrels. They come in various lengths from 4" to 16" in length.