PDA

View Full Version : lee .309 resize dies not .309

Beagler
08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Just got my lee .309 resize die from midway My 30-30 bullets drop .309 perfect but have to put the gas check on. lubed and sized they come out .307 Now return to midway or give lee a call. anyone else have this problem. My .501 for my 500 mag comes out a perfect .501.

08-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Call Midway, explain the situation, and request that they replace the sizer and reimburse your return postage fee. Knowing Midway, they may send a replacement and tell you to keep the original.

Someone has to pay for Lee's poor quality control and Midway's return policy, and in a capitalistic society, we all know who that is.

BeeMan
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Or, for probably less hassle, you can fix it yourself. Wrap some fine wet or dry paper around a 1/4 inch or so steel rod and polish it out to exactly the diameter that fits the throat of your intended application. The actual sizing band is fairly narrow so it doesn't take much. I think it was Buckshot who first described this. Check your progress and you can get exactly what you need.

08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Unless the item is used, I quit being the quality control department for any manufacturer.

Manufacturing tolerances are one thing and are acceptable, but being .002" too small is completely out of reason. Fixing the die yourself does not fix the problem of poor quality control.

Ben
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
You'd be surprised at how many people are sizing bullets with a *** " cast bullet sizer thinking that if it says *** on the sizer that is what their bullets are when they come out of the sizer.

Not always so.

Recluse
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Call Midway, explain the situation, and request that they replace the sizer and reimburse your return postage fee. Knowing Midway, they may send a replacement and tell you to keep the original.

Someone has to pay for Lee's poor quality control and Midway's return policy, and in a capitalistic society, we all know who that is.

Agree.

Or, for probably less hassle, you can fix it yourself. Wrap some fine wet or dry paper around a 1/4 inch or so steel rod and polish it out to exactly the diameter that fits the throat of your intended application. The actual sizing band is fairly narrow so it doesn't take much. I think it was Buckshot who first described this. Check your progress and you can get exactly what you need.

If Midway or Lee lets you keep the original, I'd lap it out to .310. I've had far better luck and accuracy with .310 in 30-30 than I have with .309.

This way, you'll have two sizing dies.

:coffee:

Ben
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Yep, you need to hope that you can keep the small die, you can open it up a little bit and it will become very useful again.

lylejb
08-11-2011, 12:41 AM
My Lee .358 die sized at .3565.

I needed .359, so out came the wet or dry.....

I now have a die at .359, and am very happy with it.

It took about 5 minutes.

Piedmont
08-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Another way to fix those dies, and the way I have always done it, is to use the barrel lapping abrasive that LBT and Beartooth Bullets sell. Roll your bullets in it between plates like you are going to firelap and push them through your die instead. Measure as you go. It is easy; even I can do it!

no34570
08-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Another way to fix those dies, and the way I have always done it, is to use the barrel lapping abrasive that LBT and Beartooth Bullets sell. Roll your bullets in it between plates like you are going to firelap and push them through your die instead. Measure as you go. It is easy; even I can do it!
Hey,that is a good idea,thanks,I'm going to try that ;)