PDA

View Full Version : Someone smack some sense into me quick

7br
08-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok, I have already decided a portion of my income tax return for next year will go for an odcmp garand. While poking around on the website, I came across Remington 40x barreled actions in .22 lr. No bolt, no trigger. I figure 275 for the action, 200 for a bolt, another 200 for the trigger, then we still would need wood, trigger guard, and sights. I do not shoot 3P and I have a Rem 541 that does fine for squirrels and small game. I thought the would might come from my dad's place, but I am sure having a custom stock maker mill it up would be as expensive as a stock stock so to speak.

Does anyone have a reason for going this route and not plunking down the same amount of money on a nice Anschutz?

stubshaft
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
NOPE, buy the Annie!

docone31
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
In my opinion, those 40s just were not worth rebuilding unless it is all there is.
Definately the Anshcutz, or a Savage.

Frosty Boolit
08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Get the garand.....Your welcome!

gnoahhh
08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Projects like that are for the guy with a good shop setup and the time to make it a "labor of love". Personally I would rather have a rifle I built with my own two hands rather than something off the shelf, no matter how much better the off the shelf gun is. But, then again, I have the shop, the time, and the gumption to do it and I love projects. I'm heading over there now to check them out.

P.S. Get the Garand....!

gmsharps
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
No if ands or butts get the Garand. You are buying a piece of American History. If only they could talk. The stories they could tell. Start looking for a bag of enbloc clips to get you going. Search the CMP website and the treasure trove of information you will find on the breakdown and reassembly of the Garand their history how they were used why most rifles do not have matching parts. If you really start to learn and understand the Garand you will find them actually starting to divulge some of their history to you but you must earn their respect.

gm

Hip's Ax
08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
You are going to love that Garand, good move.

In my opinion the Anschutz will be a better idea if you want to shoot prone or 3P. The 40x is just too heavy, you see some Winchester 52's and maybe some Remington 37's and the occasional Walther and tons of Anschutz's on the firing line of any smallbore match. Zero 40x's.

My custom Remington 37 prone gun without sights, scope or any accessories (IE action, barrel, trigger and stock) was on the order of $2400 back in 2005 and the action had a bolt already. Took quite a while to happen too.

treadhead1952
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Jump in your truck, drive down here to Vegas, and I will be more than happy to slap you up side of your head to disabuse you of the notion of tying up funds trying to build an overweight, obsolete .22 as opposed to owning a piece of American History and one damn fine shooting firearm.;-):lol:

akajun
08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
While at the North store for Nationals I looked at the 40x's. Bores were shiney, outside was rusty. $275 for barrel, $200 for ptg bolt, not to mention setting the barrel back and rechambering, trigger, floorplate, etc. Even had a parts supplier with used wood stocks for $45 each, Figured buy the time you got the parts you would be in to it for at least $700. Problem is you can buy used 40x complete with sights for that much or less. I passed.
Besides for the kind of money it will take to get them going, you can buy a used anschutz or bsa martini which will outshoot most 40x.

Tom-ADC
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Get the Garand and use the rest of the money for a Savage..

rmcc
08-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Get the Garand!! Then find a Winchester 52 to satisfy your other obsession!!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-18-2011, 04:15 PM
get the Garand , then after you have the garand the next time you see a mossburg 44 US a,b,c,or d pull 250 out of your wallet and get it to it's another piece of history and you will have a target 22

i have wanted a garand since i was in high school, my 8 yo son just decided yesterday Dad we should save up for one of them we should probably save up for 2 and both get them. it's a shame they aren't 175 any more.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Haven't been to the site for awhile but they did have some Kimbers, new, that might be a good way to go.

Heavy, as they are target rifles, but they might be real shooters if your looking for a .22

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

felix
08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Early Kimbers are excellent shooters. If it had a target stock like the 52, I would easily bet the accuracy would be the same. However, the barrel of the Kimber I have is not as heavy as a stock target 52 and would require some personal compensation on the line. ... felix

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Tooooooooooo late!

Just checked the web site and the Kimbers are no longer listed.

I thought about one of them, but have the Clark Custom 77/22 and really have no need of anything better.

The CRuger already shoots better then I do!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot