PDA

View Full Version : Finally Fired My 1909 Argentine Mauser

Hip's Ax
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Had a nice morning at the range today and since I've been on vacation (a Stay-cation) I had time to work up loads for the 1909 Argentine long rifle I had bought some years ago (2005). I shoot a pretty heavy match schedule normally which stops me from enjoying my mil surps. Anyway, I started off with J bullets and loaded up a rack of test lots up to 43 grains of Russian "4895" that GIBrass use to sell (you are told to use 4064 data) and 174 gr Sierra MatchKings I have for my 303 British. Graf's brass and Winchester LR primers and 41.5 grains of powder rewarded me with a five shot 1 5/8" group at 100 yards. 41 grains was a close second with a 1 3/4" group.

Some of the other loads shot some really large groups, it is obvious this rifle has some rather pronounced accuracy nodes.

Of course it was about a foot high due to the original military sights but now I have the magic J word load and can go find a high front sight blade.

Before I do that though I'm going to try some of the Fat 30 Loverin group buy moulds I have and 2400 powder.

Life is Good. :)

Maven
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Hip's Ax, Those fat Loverin's will be quite accurate in the Modelo 1909 Arg. Mau. with a number of different powders. 44gr. WC 860 + a LR mag. primer works well in mine. 42 - 43gr. is cleaner burning and just as accurate IF you use a filler like Precision Reloading's spherical shot buffer (~1cc).

Hip's Ax
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Maven! I'll take a look at that powder and filler. Need to scrub the ol' girl out and slug the barrel and figure out which mould to use. Pretty sure I got in on "Fat", "Fatter" and "Fattest" Loverin group buys.

madsenshooter
08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I've been trying to use the 4895 you mentioned in the 6x45 with cast. I get extreme spreads over 125fps, even if I fire it with a magnum primer and use a filler! And, the charges are weighed.

Hip's Ax
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow, thats a really big spread. As previously stated at some of the load levels I got some REALLY big groups, some appeard to be 5". Might be an artifact of the powder? Have you tried various amounts? I went from 40 grains to 43 grains in half grain jumps. Have not tried this powder with cast yet, just J word.

madsenshooter
08-11-2011, 01:35 PM
No I haven't tried a lot of different combinations with it, mainly because I know the velocity the bullet wants to work at. I'm getting lower ES and SD using slower and harder to light powders like DP85 and WC860(with a booster) at the velocity level I'm working at. The 4895 appears to work best when the pressure is up there. I have worked with it enough to see that. At 2513fps the ES was only 46. But at that speed I don't need to say what the group with cast boolits in a fast twist barrel was! So when you do get working with cast, you may be better off with Maven's advice. But try the 4895 and see, it might be something interesting from an observational point.

Hip's Ax
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I appreciate the info Madsen, nothing better than an interesting topic. :drinks: