PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what these are?

Bert2368
08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/Bert2368/?action=view&current=photo-70.jpg

Got two of these ingots in a box with about 100 lb. of various mostly .310 boolits- Former owner died, he was evidently a good & prolific boolit caster.

Anyone familiar with this company and their products? Solder? Solder fortification alloy? A chamber casting alloy?!

Defcon-One
08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Indium! Used in the electronics industry.

Look it up on Wikipedia. If it is Indium, it sells at Rotometals for $39.00 an ounce, very close to the price of Silver. It could just be Lead Ingots that they made, but I hope not.

Good luck!

badbob454
08-10-2011, 12:10 AM
indium has a low melting point i think 313 degrees farenheight .. can be used to cast and measure chambers in a rifle quite expensive

runfiverun
08-10-2011, 12:27 AM
it's also found in trace amounts in lead and some solder alloys.
not something you wanna use in an alloy however.

Defcon-One
08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Nope, not for use in a bullet alloy! If it is Indium, I'D SELL IT and buy Lead and Solder! Or, try to trade it to Rotometals for Bullet Alloy.

At $39.00 and ounce, I suspect that you'd have a bit of cash. You did not say what they weighed, but I'm guessing it is a couple of pounds which could be well over $1,000.

32 ounces * $39.00 = $1,248

That's why I said "Good luck!" Get it?

garym1a2
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Indium is a company that makes high grade solder products, some of the solder products have Indium in it and some does not. They also make standard solder bars for the solder wave industy. Some your product could be almost anything they make from 63/37 and up. Here are a few examples from their web site.

Introduction
Indium Corporation manufactures a wide variety of SnPb and Pb-free electronics-grade extruded bar solders for wave soldering and other electronics applications.

Indium's bar solder is composed of electrolytically refined metal or virgin Sn having a minimum purity level of 99.93%. The highest purity metals lead to the most efficient solder joint formation, minimal amount of metal lost to dross, and the longest pot life.

By extruding the bar, from continually cast, closed chamber billets, oxides that would form during a cast solder bar solidification process are greatly reduced, yielding lower dross and better joint formation.

Available Alloys
Indium Corporation produces electronics-grade bar solder in virtually any soft solder alloy containing the major components of tin (Sn), lead (Pb), silver (Ag), copper (Cu), antimony (Sb), and bismuth (Bi). Indium Corporation also produces alloys that contain minor components used to reduce dross formation, refine grain structure, and increase drop shock resistance.

Read more: http://www.indium.com/products/circuitboardassembly/solderfluxes.php#barsolder#ixzz1Uf4m3t7t

http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/Bert2368/?action=view&current=photo-70.jpg

Got two of these ingots in a box with about 100 lb. of various mostly .310 boolits- Former owner died, he was evidently a good & prolific boolit caster.

Anyone familiar with this company and their products? Solder? Solder fortification alloy? A chamber casting alloy?!

Defcon-One
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
.... It could just be Lead Ingots that they made, but I hope not.....

Yeah, I thought of that in my first post!