PDA

View Full Version : Saved from the recycle bin!

Harter66
08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
My Dad ought to be a guest picker on American Pickers. He lives for it. Last week he calls me to tell me he's been off socializing and talked w/ this guy and that guy, his niece,their inlaws,the dog,blah blah blah.................and a couple of bbl'd Mauser actions w/ruined bbls 1 of them is locked up blah blah........I give you 1 and buy the bbls and stocks we can do a pair of 257 Bobs.

Last night I dropped by after I picked up my spare dryer, both the washer and dryer took a dump last week, glad I had spares. Any way this is what he hands me..........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384e413e69dc3ec.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1734)

So I open them up pull the mis-matched bolts out and look at the bore. They both are shiny all the way down to the spider webs and blow sand. 1 is sort of sportered the other is complete w/its 2 V ladder sight crest and date ...........
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384e4140dec1db4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1736)

I think my ugly used up BRNO just got down graded from labor intensive future scout to parts donor, well a loaner stock for a test drive any how.

elk hunter
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Those look to be small ring Spanish Mausers. Original calber was most likely 7 x 57. The barrels for those were lined or sleeved, so if you try to turn them down they don't always look very good, if you get down to the sleeve the outer part tends to wrinkle. If you do rebarrel them stick to a caliber or loads of not over 45000 psi as they tend to be soft. The 257 should work well on them.

Harter66
08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Good info to have. I haven't touched them yet ,I'm hoping the bore will be good all the way out on the intact 1 w/ the crest I think I'd rather have the 7x57 anyway. Having dies,bullets and brass for it already.

Did I mention he got them for no money down ,no payments,no loss of favors. I can't believe anyone would just throw anything away that was dated much less guns...........

6.5 mike
08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Do'nt be suprized if they turn out to be 7.62x51 (308 win), alot of the spainsh small rings where arsenal re-fit to the nato round.
Also if your other mauser is a large ring they may not fit into the stock, measure c-to-c the screw holoes, small ring are 7 & 5/8s, large ring are 7 & 7/8s, IIrc.
My 257 is built on a 1916 pattern spainsh with a adams & bennet bbl, bold trigger, & laminated stock from richards mirco fit. Shoots real nice.
You did good on these.

Harter66
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Mike,
How was that Adams&Bennett bbl? I've read mixed things about them ranging from"after I lapped on it for a week" to "everything just settled in and ran like greased glass" and "I didn't expect much so its ok" to"i'll take a dozen more at that price. I know that I'd work it out but my Dads kind of a" results speak volumes" old school, opinionated, old coger. I think he'd want the 1st 5 in an inch at 50 and the next 5 to do the same at 100 .

I'm pretty sure they are 7x57s on the other hand it was late I was tired and even less awake this morning. Maybe I should make this a work in progress thread.

308 humm ............... more money saved I've moulds in 30cal.

docone31
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I have three I built with the A&B Barrels.
I ran paper patched loads down the bore, then a little valve lapping compound on the patch, and now they are my favourite rifles.
I would definately go with A & B Again.

6.5 mike
08-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I've used them in 257 roberts f-14, light weight, a 260 f-34, 3 in 7x57 f-34's, & a f-44 in 35 whelen (still need to shoot this one). All have shot well for me, I did follow the fac breakin.
The 260 has had the most rounds fired, bout 130 nosler 120 b/t's, it's an honest 1 in at 100 rifle, & I've used it in everything except pouring down rain. I've tried other bullets but always come back to the noslers. Best group with it was 5 shots in a all touching hole at 100 off bags. This is at 2850 fps.
Two of the 7x57's where high school grad presents for my wifes grandsons (twins). Both shot 5 in 1& 1/2 at 100 durning breakin using a handload that matchs rem factory specs. With a little load work I'm sure they would do better.
The 257 & other (mine) 7x57 have only had a box apeice through them. Remington factory 117 gr in the 257 & the same load as the others in the 7x57. Both showed the same promise as the boys rifles. The 7x57 will be a cast boolit rifle when I finish it.
I'm planning on breaking in the whelen before season opens this year. Any one recommed a good 215/225 boolit, want to make this one a cast rifle also.
If I was going to build another hunting rifle I wouldn't think twice about using their barrels if they had them in the caliber I was looking for. :Fire:

David2011
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
An Adams and Bennett can be made to shoot. At the recommendation of a smith who builds Camp Perry rifles I recrowned mine. He thought the crowns were probably turned based on the OD of the barrel instead of the bore and therefore ever so slightly off center. I recrowned it to a target crown with a manually operated cutter and got tiny groups. It shot about 1-1/2" before recrowning. Caliber: 6.5x55. I didn't lap mine but it probably wouldn't hurt. It works plenty good for varmints.

David

6.5 mike
08-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I know my 'smith is always amazed how true they are when he sets up to crown them, says they are more concentric then some of the high $$ barrels he uses.
BTY, all of the barrels in my last post are full lengh free floated in both wood & syn stocks, if that helps.

Gee_Wizz01
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I used a stainless A&B F-54 profile in 220 Swift on an old 98 Mauser, and it's one of my favorite rifles. It will put 5 shots in 3/4" at 100yds on demand. I didn't follow any special break in procedures and it shoots great. The bore does not foul shooting the Swift, and is very easy to clean. I have about 250 rounds through her now, and accuracy has improved noticeably. I have shot several 1 1/4" groups at 200yds, and the rifle is capable of better. I have three more A&B barrels awaiting actions to mount them on. I have heard mixed reviews on these barrels also, but I have had nothing but good experiences to date. The best part is that these barrels were less than 1/3 the cost of the others.

G

Harter66
08-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I was able to clean at them some, lots of layers of crud inside. I think the white bolts are going to tax me some its like the extractor is nickeled and the bolt is ...........1906 could very well be nickel steel not chrome moly.......clearly I need to do more metal research before proceeding w/polishing and bolt bending.

Its all Krioled up, the bolts are now free , and I think the bbl on the crested action is going to have to be really worked about the last 6" to clean it up, I forgot to look to see if the front sight was milled or sweated. They are both 7x57s and look to have the 9.5 twist, and are w/o question small rings. They look to be"low mirage" compared to the BRNO that shows peening from the bolt handle.

Thankyou for the A&B bbl input, you've convinced me.

EMC45
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I have one of those at the house. Sleeved barrel. Headspace was huge. Be careful.

gnoahhh
08-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Ditto the headspace warning. The two Oviedos I messed with years ago had seriously bad headspace. Probably due to the soft nature of the actions. I swore then I wouldn't ever waste my time with another one, but if I got one free out of a dumpster, well, I might...

Harter66
08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Depending on the cleaning out come the 1 will stay a 7mm. W/ limited brass on hand I will resolve the headspace with a lot or 2 of stray 06'. It'll be the only 7mm, Mauser or other wise.

6.5 mike
08-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Drift the front sight post out & there is a set screw under it, the base is sweated on but does'nt take much heat to remove. Check youe bbl specs with a slug, some are way big like 0.285/0.290ish.
The headspace thing is the reason mine became a 257 roberts, & I had wanted one on a small ring action for a long time.

atr
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I had a OVIEDO small ring mauser in 7x57, similiar to what you probably have. the headspace was terrible as was the throat.
its accuracy was so poor that I gave up and had it rebarreled to.
be careful and good luck

Harter66
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
When I think of a sleeved bbl, I think of the repair sleeve use for rim fires. Short version bore the bbl over size slip in a rifled piece of tubing solder/epoxy in place trim,chamber, shoot. Is this basicly what we're talking about? At this point I don't see anything that looks like seams, the 1 is marked 1906,as if that might have something to do w/skills, tooling,or craftsmanship.

The bolts are mis-matched so headspace checks are in order and I tend to not trust anything new to me to be right. As mentioned above custom brass is the band-aid of choice presuming that the rest checks out.

The GI bbl has a rust goober about 6-7" inside the muzzle so I think my hopes of saving it as is are ebbing.

Has anyone used Boyd's stocks recently?

6.5 mike
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
My 257 was in a Boyds stock until I needed it for another 6.5x55. Used a richards micro fit laminated one & I like it better this way, think it looks better. Both are a little oversized so you have plenty of wood to work with, & are a minor action fit.

Harter66
08-13-2011, 12:11 AM
I made a test case tonight . The 1st rediscovery was how far off the 8x57 is. The old Lyman 7x57 die properly adjusted resulted in a finished case that rubbed the base clean of Sharpie marker as well as just the shoulder face . I don't have a factory case to try. With that I'd say very nearly minimum space w/the bolt in question.

So now to acquire a suitable stock, and a few boolits to shoot for patched laps.

Multigunner
08-13-2011, 03:08 PM
When I think of a sleeved bbl, I think of the repair sleeve use for rim fires. Short version bore the bbl over size slip in a rifled piece of tubing solder/epoxy in place trim,chamber, shoot. Is this basicly what we're talking about? At this point I don't see anything that looks like seams, the 1 is marked 1906,as if that might have something to do w/skills, tooling,or craftsmanship.

The bolts are mis-matched so headspace checks are in order and I tend to not trust anything new to me to be right. As mentioned above custom brass is the band-aid of choice presuming that the rest checks out.

The GI bbl has a rust goober about 6-7" inside the muzzle so I think my hopes of saving it as is are ebbing.

Has anyone used Boyd's stocks recently?

The only sleeving of 93 or 95 Mauser barrels I've heard of was a chamber insert used to allow chambering a 95 barrel that had been rebored for the shorter 7.62X51 case without setting the breech back.
These chamber inserts some times work loose, apparently the cylindrical insert was silver soldered in place.

I have read that Spain once bought up a lot of WW1 surplus GEW 98 rifles dirt cheap due to neglected bores, and these rifles then had the bores drilled out and sleeved for the 7X57 cartridge.
I haven't seen any of these offered for sale, so its likely the actions were rebarreled or scrapped later on.

The 1893 Mauser action was once popular for radical modifications such as conversion to left hand operation (lack of a safety lug making reversing rotation possible) and for shortened or lengthed actions.

Harter66
08-13-2011, 10:03 PM
I was able today to get the sportered 1, w/o the crest,taken down and the bbl off. I did alot cleaning and burnishing. I did as much buffing and 0 steel wool as my hands would take. So the next step I guess will be to get a buffing wheel and get things polished out and start ordering parts.

Stripped down to her rivets!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384e4727125ef94.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1822)

jonk
08-14-2011, 01:45 AM
You never know; I got a real beater Brazilian M954 from MGS some time back for $20. Missing some parts, it was rusty, bore filled with dirt and rust, but cleaned up well. Light frosting to bore. Shoots (oddly!) 100 gr jacketed to a 2" group at 100 yards over a case full of 4891. Worse shape than what you have there for sure.

JIMinPHX
08-14-2011, 04:41 AM
I had excellent results from an A&B barrel for a small ring Mauser. I thought that barrel was very good value for the money.

gunnut14
08-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Jonk,
What is MGS?
Always on the lookout for Mausers.

gunnut14

jonk
08-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Jonk,
What is MGS?
Always on the lookout for Mausers.

gunnut14Military Gun Supply in Texas. I don't know as they have any beaters right now but worth a look.

Harter66
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Those guys are cousin in laws to me . I just met them last spring , I don't know why I didn't think of them myself.

Harter66
12-07-2011, 12:43 PM
At last the bbl and stock are enroute .

Funny how your perspective changes. I thought the parts looked pretty good when I put them away the last time now it looks like I still have a ton of minutia polishing to do. Fitting the new floor plate and release have challenged me some too. I've a new safety lever(?) coming as well. I ordered the Boyds stock and Addams& Bennet bbl in 257 Roberts.

Any suggestions about scope mounts and the rear action ring . I mean fit the mount to the action or the action to the mount sort of help. Thinking out loud here some,and I've never seen one, would a block to match action ring height w/ a full rail bridge be a good option? I have needed to move a scope that last 1/8" a half a dozen tims and spent an hour or more making it happen. That full rail would make that so much easier.

leadman
12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
B-square sells a nice mount that is recessed for the stripper clip hump and takes weaver style rings.

Harter66
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I will check them out. Thanks

Harter66
12-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I received the Boyds stocks from Midway like all things airplane and gun there ain't no hook it up and run . You knew that though.

The 7x57 action dropped all but right in needing only some gentle relief around the rear sight band. Even the bottom metal fit pretty darn close. In either of 2 stocks. My Dad splashed a little water to have a better look at the actual grain and figure . 1 stock is definately prettier than the other having some burl in the butt end. It will go w/the 257 . The new 257 bbl is an A&B and arrived well packaged w/a beautiful crown and breach ,after a quick patch is a good looking bore w/few if any visible burrs.

The 7x57 stock needed a little relief to get my size 14 fingers into the trigger and some beauty refinement around the tang and will require some sanding to completely smooth that out.

Pics coming soon.

Harter66
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Here's the 7x57 all sanded an waiting for some True oil.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eea5f2d8bf5c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3030)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eea5f2d46df4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3029)

Harter66
12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
1st coat for protection nice grain for my wants . Next up some bedding work and more rubbing and oil.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eea698b39931.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3031)

Harter66
12-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Well it looks decent ,you know for a truck gun. I got to shoot it some w/some reformed mismatched brass and :cry:some 120 Serrias.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eebfa954bfe3.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3045)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eebfa9529933.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3044)

The shooting wasn't great ,but it looked good for the comb being a little high and the bore having some places that I couldn't get w/a brush and a GI trigger . There's 9 rounds 3 loads . 2 different brass step formed from orphan 06'.(too heavy/light,only 5-6 pieces,etc) I have somewhere in the stuff 20 maybe 40 matched cases ,from long ago.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
The Leupold one piece base #49990 for Mauser 95 and 98's has a relief for the clip slot bulge. I have been happy with all of them I have put on Mausers.

I used an Adams & Bennett F-34 contour to build my .35 Whelen. It flat shoots. Barrel break in was go shoot a box of ammo, take it home and clean it. Rinse and repeat.

That was several years ago when the rumors were that the A&B were actually made by E.R. Shaw. True or not, I don't know and don't really care. Mine shoots good enough that I didn't finish the Whelen that I started to build with a Shilen barrel; now it is going to become a .358 Norma Magnum.

Robert

Harter66
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
The 257 has wandered off to Arkansas. The 7x57 brought me no real joy w/the several boolits aquired from members here and Unique. With some wet wrapped paper patches and 15 now matched formed from 06' cases the old girl is driving them into an inch and a half............3ft left and 2ft hi at 50yd. The high I can live w/but I'm pretty sure I can't drift the front sight that far. A crown issue has been suggested but it shot the jaxeted just 2-3 inches left not feet. I know I've to work out the load some still , but will tuning really pull a group that far back around to point of aim?

UBER7MM
08-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Harter66,

Is your barrel free floating? I put a piece of folded tag board under a free floating barrel at the end of the forearm one time to see what would happen. It made the gun shoot high like what your describing.

Just a thought,

Harter66
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes, it is ,it is also epoxy bedded. I have considered a forend bbl band. I wonder about the effectiveness however w/14" of bbl pasr the stock.

Multigunner
08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Older Mauser barrels often have a wandering bore, so long as the bore looked to be centered at the muzzle and they weren't far off enough that they couldn't be sighted in the internal wander wasn't much of a problem due to the damping nature of the heavy stepped barrel.
A long rifle barrel with a small bit of wander can show extreme wander if the barrel is cut down.

If you use a side mounted scope you could shim the mount to compensate for the windage problem.
A small ring without the stripper clip thumb cut is a better candidate for a side mount than for a top mount.

Harter66
08-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think I want to alter this one. Maybe a forward lock screw like the old model 70s instead of a bbl band.

Artful
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
someone long ago had a rifle with two set screws down in the stock to adjust the barrel harmonic's - they were at 45 deg from center line out toward the tip of the stock.

Might help you out in this situation.

303Guy
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Wouldn't it pay to 'straighten' the barrel in the direction to correct the POI? Of course, if the bore is perfectly straight then one wouldn't want to touch it. But the problem could be the bore is not straight.

leadman
08-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I would look for burnished spots in the barrel channel as it could hit when fired and be ok when checked for free floating.

I had a Universal M-1 carbine that shot way left. It had a cracked stock when I bought it so maybe this had something to do with the POI.
Anyway I took it out of the stock at the range, put the muzzle on the concrete on an angle, grabbed the receiver and stepped on the barrel with my foot. Took several tries to get it right put it shot to the sights when I was done.

I bought a 7.62 X 39 barrel from Numrich which proved to be an A&B the had a tight spot in the bore about 1" back from the muzzle. The rest of the barrel was .310", this spot was .3085".
I spoke with a gunsmith that used to rifle barrels for one of the big companies and he said this happens to all barrels and he cut 2" off each end when he was done. Something to do with how the cutter stops and starts in the bore.
I just cut the end of my barrel off and crowned it by hand and it seems to be ok.

Harter66
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
The weather has been wet here for a couple of weeks,well wet for us anyway. As pre dicted 20 min in full sun at 100* found the "burr" touching. With a little "crocus"cloth that is now gone and the windage has returned to poa. The 27-130 in 2 wraps of green bar and finish sized to .289 w/Darrs lube and 4350 seems like it will deliver the goods after some light bore lapping , the last 6" just wouldn't clean up and were eating the patches. I think I might be ready to get some on paper to show in the next posts.