PDA

View Full Version : Reloading New Hulls

RGMJ
08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm basically a newbie in shotshell reloading but have some reloading experience with once fired hulls 2-3/4"

I wanted to reload some new hulls 3". I understand these hulls have no folds yet it being unfired.

I use an MEC 600 Jr. Can the MEC reload these new hulls? Will the crimper work with the hulls without folds? Will the crimp close well?

Do I need to skive the hull? What do you recommend for new hulls - 6 pt or 8 pt crimp?

Thank you for any reply!!

shotman
08-09-2011, 01:52 AM
MEC has a crimp starter for new hulls . Called a super crown you will need it if you are going to do very many, they are not cheap but Midway has them

sargenv
08-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I've had good luck using what came standard for the Sizemaster and Grabber presses on new Skived hulls.. if the hulls are unskived (read as tapered on the mouth of the hull) they can be a bear to get right the first time..

Johnch
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Besides the above sujestions
One more trick to a better crimp on a new hull

Warm the open end of the hull to warm to the touch but not HOT

I made up a loading block to hold a few hulls base down
I put it under a heat lamp

Stick the loaded but not crimped hull under the lamp for 10 seconds ( time will varry depending on wattage and distance ) till the open end is warm

Then crimp like normal
I have found the warm hull crimps better

John

lavenatti
08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
+1 on the warming.

I've learned to appreciate previously fired hulls when reloading.

RGMJ
08-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you to all who replied...great forum!!

Newtire
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Heat Lamp! What a great idea. I have crimped quite a few unskived hulls without using anything other than just lightly pumping the starter die down onto the hull until the crimp forms and I use a Mec 600 also. I agree though that getting them warm is the way to go.

plmitch
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Warming the hulls seems like a good idea. I'll have to try that out.

cajun shooter
08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I roll crimp my hulls for SASS matches for three reasons. The roll crimp is a hull that is history correct. Roll crimps allow more of the hull to be used and last the recoil is less with them. I use a lathe turned wooden cone shaped skiving tool on new cases and it makes all the difference.