PDA

View Full Version : shot cards

jeepman133
08-09-2011, 12:21 AM
i bought some 510" 1/8' shot cards recently. i used to shoot a .54 renegade with pyrodex and maxi's and now have a knight wolverine that shoots .460 conical excellent with .75gr pyrodex. i have never used a shot card in either rifle, since i used pyrodex. the shot cards have a concaved side and i assume that contacts the powder and the flat side the bullet? is this correct? thanks

jeepman133
08-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Forgot to mention, i wanted to try 777 is why i bought the shot cards and i know it burns hotter than pyrodex!!

Omnivore
08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Why do you want a card when shooting boolits? My understanding is that they're called shot cards because their intended use is in shot loads-- one over the powder to act as a wad, and a thinner one over the shot to hold it in. I don't know anyone using a shot card between powder and bullet. Some people use felt wads under a bullet, but the wad's usefullness is questionable. Generally a bullet is placed directly over the powder.

DIRT Farmer
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Some rifles use card wads under the slug very well. Others like felt, then there are those that work with a bare base. Finding what works is part of the game.
As far as I know it does not matter which way the card goes in, it will match the base of the slug when the charge lights.

Good Cheer
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
I use card wads stamped out of the matted paper egg carton material.
Some loads like it dry, some like soaked in melted lube.

nanuk
08-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I would have never guessed that 3/4 grain of Pyrodex would push a boolit out of the bore, let alone group well...

J/K'n

I have found my rifle shoots better with a palmfull sized wad of dacron stuffing between the boolit and powder no matter what style of boolit