PDA

View Full Version : Drill and Tap older Rifle for scope

wv109323
08-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a Remington 512 .22LR that I would like to install a set of Weaver bases for a scope. How does one assure that the holes are on Top dead center of the receiver? Is it possible to do with a drill press and vise? TIA

rmcc
08-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Yes, but you will need a dial indicator set up. Clamp receiver in vise making sure is at 90 degrees of quill on drill press. Attach dial indicator to quill, bring indicator to receiver. Swing quill 180 dergrees, check indicator, move vise on table until when you spin quill there is no run out. Now receiver is true to quill, center can be read at exactly 1/2 of whatever width of receiver is on dial indicator by swinging from one side to other once receiver is true to quill. Is a lot easier on a mill where you have compound table, but can be done. Good luck!!

Rich

shotman
08-09-2011, 01:58 AM
it would best be left to someone that is set up to do it. Would bet a 512 has a harden receiver and if it does you are in for more than you want

Bret4207
08-10-2011, 07:05 AM
IIRC the 512 is the tube fed version of the 510/511. If I'm right, and I don't remember for krap anymore, be advised the standard Weaver (43+44??) mounts are intended to have the front mount on the barrel. I didn't like this idea so I used 2 of the rear mounts on one 511 and the 2 fronts on the other. Worked out fine for me. The action and barrel are cylindrical so there's no taper to speak of.

I used a Forster sight jig on mine. Any good gunsmithing book will have a section devoted to getting things set up right.

ipopum
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I recently scoped an older Savage. Not wanting to drill into the action where the bolt of the semi-auto ran I solved it this way. I had a 1 piece Jap mount. I found that a 3/4 thin wall pipe had the same contour as the bottom of the mount and the receiver. I hack sawed a section of the pipe, drilled and taped it for the Jap mount. After putting the scope base screws in I tried it on the rifle using a collimator to check the alignment with the bore. I used a fixed reticule B & L scope in rings for this. Every thing lined up very well. Better than I had expected. I epoxied the mount and pipe section to the receiver while using the collimator to verify alignment. I used rubber strips from an old inner tube to hold it in place until cured. Since this is a 22 rim fire I do not expect it to ever come loose.

Char-Gar
08-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Yes, it can be done with a drill press and a vise. The drill press table and vise must be level and square. The receiver is placed in the vise level and square. The mount is placed on the receiver level and square. The hole are marked, drilled and tapped.

There are numerous tools that can help you do this. The most basic is a high quality machinist square that incorporates a level in it. If a fellow takes his time, all sorts of work can be done with just this one tool.