PDA

View Full Version : Curio and Relic Lcnse.

glenkans
08-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Does anyone here have a license and do you have any things someone should know if getting one. Am considering. I was told about 30.00 and good for firearms 50 years old and older. Don't really want to deal with the Feds. several times a year cause they can be nit pickers .Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.Thanks, Glen

cheese1566
08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I have had mine for the last couple and will need to renew this winter. Debating whether to or not. I only bought one gun and that was from a friend here.
The discount was good from vendors (nice little savings from MidwayUSA, but they seemed to have lessened the discount over time. Graf's is good, but they require a minimum and have shipping for dealers- good for large orders/bad for small.)

I have never been checked, called, or anything...

Ed in North Texas
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
You can save the cost of the license with one buy. But you are restricted to mostly military which are easily established as being C&R because they are on the list. Commercial firearms are a little bit of a problem unless they were discontinued from production more than 50 years ago, otherwise regular dealers often don't want to fool with the C&R route.

And you have to deliver a copy of your license application to the local chief law enforcement officer (chief of police, sheriff, etc.). May, or may not, be a big deal depending on where you live.

BorderBrewer
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I have had one for about seven years. I would recommend it for the savings from suppliers alone. You pay $30.00 every three years and will make that up in a few purchases of components. I have purchased a dozen or so rifles with my C&R. Living in California, I get a kick out of having firearms delivered to my porch.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

shawnsmc
08-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I have had one for about seven years. I would recommend it for the savings from suppliers alone. You pay $30.00 every three years and will make that up in a few purchases of components. I have purchased a dozen or so rifles with my C&R. Living in California, I get a kick out of having firearms delivered to my porch.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

+1 Yea what he said.:drinks:

waksupi
08-08-2011, 11:36 PM
If you buy as much as I have from Brownell's, you would save a pile of money. Lots of things other than milsurps on the approved list.

08-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I got mine in 2003, primarily, to thumb my nose at California's onerous gun laws. When I started casting, gun buying came to a halt as any excess money was needed for casting and more reloading equipment. I still peruse the wholesalers' web-sites and Gunbroker, but the license's main use is supplier discounts.

With all the infamous and dubious anti-gunrunner programs the BATF&E dreams up, I don't think they have time to be concerned with C&R licensees.

David2011
08-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Like a lot of the other posters, I've gotten as much good out of the discounts from Brownell's and Midway as the gun buying.

David

insanelupus
08-09-2011, 01:42 AM
What records keeping do you do for your license?

Ed in North Texas
08-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Standard bound book (or approved computer software) recording firearms coming in and any which go out (none for me). What (make, model, sn) when (date acquired/sent) and who from or to).

08-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Go to the BATF&E web-site...it helped with my pre-application questions.

A licensee is required to keep a "bound book", the same as a dealer. However, a C&R bound book can be as simple as a "collection of loose leaf papers". The idea is to keep all the information organized and readily available.

Pirate69
08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Good clarificaton 462. I was starting to sweat.

gunnut14
08-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I just sent mine back to ATF saying I was not renewing.
Used it 6 times in 3 years to buy guns and never to buy supplies.
The only good thing for me was it allowed me to buy over the internet from J&G sales.
Otherwise no use at all to me.
If you intend to use it a lot maybe it is worth the dime but it wasn't to me.

gunnut14

timkelley
08-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I've used mine probably 25 times to get discounts from Midway and Brownell's in the last three years. I just renewed my license for another three years.
Only used my license once, to buy a Yugo 24/47, and that was just last month. It was neat to get a note from the PO about a box for pickup.

Wayne Smith
08-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I like old guns. I've renewed mine once and will again. I've had no problems with 90% of Gunbroker dealers shipping C&R to me.

twidget
08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm about a month into my tenth year with a C&R license. I have been inspected by the ATF once; otherwise no interactions with the Feds at all. As long as your records are in order an inspection shouldn't be a problem. If you buy much stuff from Brownells you will save more than the cost of the license several times over. Midway's discount isn't as much and I haven't ordered from anywhere else. Ordering guns on the internet and having them shipped to your house is cool, too. I was a bit hesitant when I first applied for a license, but now I'm glad I did.

corvette8n
08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I've had mine for about 10 years just get used to living on Ramen noodles.
Not as much milsurp around as their used to be but you can still come away with some deals.

C1PNR
08-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Glen, it's kind of like buying a yacht, if you have to ask what the price is, you can't afford it, and the comment about Ramen Noodles is spot on, plus the fact that your Credit Card will soon be as hot as any blast furnace you have ever heard about.

But having the BBT bring that long, narrow box (and they bring the small ones too) to your door is just priceless. And the discounts by so many vendors is pure icing on the cake.

Check out the Curio and Relics forum for additional information, and please don't tell your spouse or significant other about my comments.;)

http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/