PDA

View Full Version : 25-20 Handloading Question

ejcrist
08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I very recently fell in love with TC Contenders and I'm considering getting a 25-20 barrell. I'm strictly a CB loader and as such would want to use CB's in the new caliber. I did some research and could only find one company, Remington, that makes new brass in 25-20. I'm not a big fan of Remington brass so my first question, is it possible to size new 32-20 brass to 25-20 to fire-form, and then reload using full-length or neck dies from that point forward? I've also read it's a good idea to bell the case mouths when loading CB's in 25-20 to avoid crumbling the necks. My second question, how do you do that when something like a 25-20 only comes in a two steel die set? Can you purchase a blank die and expander of various sizes? Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure you'd run into the same issues with CB's and other calibers such as 32-20, etc.

Thanks, Gene

coyotebait
08-08-2011, 09:39 PM
ejcrist
25-20 is a great little cartridge, one of my favorite, and I shoot it alot with cast boolits. If you find 25-20 brass you better jump on it while you can. It can be hard to come by. I have used both Winchester and Remington brass and cannot see any difference in case life. The Remington brass I have runs about .020 longer than the Winchester, which is shorter than the trim to length. I have tried to form 25-20 from 32-20 but have had little success, others have reformed to 25-20 just fine.
Yes you will need to bell the case mouth in order to seat a cast boolit without shaving lead. Lee makes a "universal case expanding die" which will work for most all cases including 25-20. Here is a link that discusses 25-20 loading in detail and has lots of great info. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,34881.0.html
regards
coyotebait

Bodydoc447
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I have a set of RCBS "Cowboy" dies that are made for loading cast bullets. They are a three die set with an expander die. I haven't had any problem with my 25-20 cases so I have never tried to reform any 32-20 cases.

Doc

9.3X62AL
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I hadn't heard that Winchester 25-20 WCF brass was out of print. That said, I have 300+ of each maker's examples (Win and Rem), and both are well-made and long-lasting brass.

Some of the rifles that chamber this caliber have kinda poetic chambers, though. One of mine fits that description--a late 1980s Marlin 1894CL, which is chambered "long", with shoulder a bit far forward of SAAMI specs. If you full-length resize repeatedly with a SAAMI-spec sizer die, 4-5 firings later you will get incipient case-head separations. Guaranteed. If you set the die to NOT alter the shoulder, brass lasts A LONG TIME--12+ refills in my experience, many of them at upper-end velocities and pressures.

Lyman has an M-die specifically made for the 25-20 WCF. That has been my 3rd die in the set for a long time.

Carolina Cast Bullets
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I load/shoot a 25-20 and use cast bullets exclusivly. And yes, brass is almost non existent. I luckily ran across a large amount of R-P brass (new unprimed too). I bought all of it, stashed enough for my lifetime needs and sold off the rest. made a nice profit too.

the link posted above has some great loads, excellent advice and great comments. Read it carefully, you wont regret it.

as to R-P vs Win brass, one better than the other, I cant say but the lack of brass, if you have a good amount, use it wisely.

Bullets are available from several sources. Meister and Moyer come to mind immediately. Bullshot, a member here, also has a great 25-20 bullet in his inventory. All are priced reasoanably.

Go for it.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Bent Ramrod
08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
There's a thread on the ASSRA forum on necking .32-20 shells into .25-20.

coyotebait
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
B R
ASSRA?
Maybe a link please?
coyotebait

ejcrist
08-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks much for all the replies. That's all the information and motivation I needed. I'm going to get the TC barrel and the Remington brass and have at it.

Thanks, Gene

:Fire:

calaloo
08-09-2011, 06:53 AM
assra.com

gewehrfreund
08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
You could also neck up 218 Bee brass, but that's as or more precious than 25-20.
Personally, I never had a problem with Remington brass, but then, I drive Fords.

bbqncigars
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Midway is showing R-P brass in stock. I'd jump on it while you can. It's a heck of a lot easier than forming 32-20 brass. Trust me on that. I shoot enough 25-20 that I got a progressive press just to keep me in ammo. A fun little cartridge to play with.

DHB
08-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I hadn't heard that Winchester 25-20 WCF brass was out of print. That said, I have 300+ of each maker's examples (Win and Rem), and both are well-made and long-lasting brass.

Some of the rifles that chamber this caliber have kinda poetic chambers, though. One of mine fits that description--a late 1980s Marlin 1894CL, which is chambered "long", with shoulder a bit far forward of SAAMI specs. If you full-length resize repeatedly with a SAAMI-spec sizer die, 4-5 firings later you will get incipient case-head separations. Guaranteed. If you set the die to NOT alter the shoulder, brass lasts A LONG TIME--12+ refills in my experience, many of them at upper-end velocities and pressures.

Lyman has an M-die specifically made for the 25-20 WCF. That has been my 3rd die in the set for a long time.
Not really in this thread but,
I had a similar problem with .32-20. After 1-2 firings the cases would separate. This was new brass. I could not figure it out. After discussing it with Bill Pace - "Mr Single Shot" (in my opinion) I seated the bullet a little further out and they quit separating. A little strange but it worked in my rifle.
Good luck
DHB

Multigunner
08-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I seem to remember someone mentioned using reformed .30 Carbine brass for making hot .32-20 loads.
If that is true could .30 carbine brass be necked down and trimmed to make .25-20 brass?

PS
The rimless case would be no problem in a Single Action revolver chambered in .32-20, but might not be feasible for most .25-20 rifles.

beemer
08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Lyman offers a 3 die set for the 25-20, the proper M die is included.

Dave