PDA

View Full Version : How to load boolits correctly?

DeadWoodDan
08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm finally getting back to my T/C Hawkins .50cal.. I have always shot RB, and have been collecting other projectiles to shot. I went to try some yesterday and hit a road block; went to load a Great Plains and Lee Conical with pre lubed patch and it was super tight so i tried a different bullet and same problem. I have some Great Plains(not Hornady) 245gr slugs that came pre-lubed and various other cast boolits i recieved from a gentleman to try, believe all are cast from LEE molds conical, minie and REAL.

If not using a sabot w/ bullet, do all other projectiles require a patch? Do i need to find a thinner patch to load these?

Patches i've been using are round prelubed not sure of manufacuture.

How do i load these other bullets correctly?

thanks
Kevin

Shooter
08-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Bullet don't use a patch. Load them coated with Bore Butter or Crisco.

Nobade
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't know what others do but I size my bullets (in a Lee type push through sizer) to .0005 to no more than .001 less than bore size, and shoot. The weight of the ramrod should seat the bullet. For hunting I suppose you could go a little bigger for an interference fit or fire a blank and let the fouling hold the bullet in place. No patches, you can use a card wad under the bullet if you like but I have not seen that it helps anything. This works for grease groove bullets or paper patched ones, they all shoot great. You do need to have a heavy enough charge to slug up the bullet and get good enough accuracy.

DeadWoodDan
08-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Bullet don't use a patch. Load them coated with Bore Butter or Crisco.

Shooter,
Should they fit nice and snug like a round ball or will they go down extremely easy? I have a tube of bore butter, so good there.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
once you start them they should go nice and snug

cajun shooter
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
The Hornaday Great Plains bullets are designed to be fired as they are from the box. The Factory has them coated with some of the private stuff. Just load them over the powder charge and shoot. This applies to the ones that come in the plastic box and weigh 385 grains for the 50 cal Hawkin.

mooman76
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Conicals have two types. The Minie and the Maxie. The minie has a hollow base that expands when fired and should be slightly smaller than the bore size. That isn't always the case but that is what would be idea. The Maxie is slightly larger than the bore so when you load it, it will take the shape of the bore. It is slightly harder to load at first but after it is stated, it slides down the bore fairly easy. I find that the 50 cal Lees are right at or slightly larger than .50 and they don't start as easy as they should especially after your first fouling shot but you can still drive them in and running a cleaning swab down the bore before loading helps.

DeadWoodDan
08-09-2011, 07:25 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk43/DeadWoodDan/cast001.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk43/DeadWoodDan/cast002.jpg

Here's what i have.

OK this is what i have to expirement with. following dimensions

#1 .500"
#2 lower band .493" upper .516"
#3 lb .499" ub .5025"
#4 .500"
#5 .497"

I didn't try to load any up to top band, i just placed in and knew something didn't look correct or i wasn't sure what i had and needed educated before continuing.

do these numbers seem correct?
I will try tonight but assume #2 will fit snug once pushed into top band. but others seem like there won't be a snug fit?

I know what #1 is because its purchased. Please explain which are maxi, minnie etc.

thanks
appreciate the guideance.

Kevin

Maven
08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Kevin, The numbers seem correct, but the dimensions of mold cavities vary over time (manufacturers' tool wear, quality control, alloy used as "standard"). As for the bullets in the photograph, #2 is a Lee REAL (Rifling Engraved At Loading); #3 is a Maxi-Ball (Thompson/Center?); while #'s 4 & 5 are Minie Balls, target type and traditional (Lee?). All should be cast of pure Pb rather than WW's for ease of loading unless they cast too small for your rifle. Btw, my .45cal. T/C Hawken shot very accurately with #'s 2 & 3 (never cast or tried the others though).

Fly
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I would think that REAL would be a very good bullet for your T/C.If you do use the REAL
try a 1/8" thick felt wad over the powder.REALS are tapered small toward the base for
ease of loading.

The wad seems to help them seal better.
Fly

Sneakfoot
08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Kevin
i'am very much interested in the results you get from your test. #3 and 5 looks like something i'd may want to try. What is the grove to grove dia. of your bore and the twist rate? Looking forward to your results.

DeadWoodDan
08-09-2011, 03:04 PM
This is a T/C Hawkins .50cal kit i recieved over 10yrs ago for present from mom and dad. I got to finish stock and add brass parts thats about it. believe they purchased from Wall mart of all places. i' m sure someone has the specs.

Hope to get back at it this weekend.

Kevin

wgr
08-10-2011, 10:14 PM
the maxie ball will have a driving band about .504 the plains bullet is close to .508 . the plains bullets loads hard in my t.c. their bore is a little tite but they shoot great. the maxie ball will load easier but dos,nt shoot any better just heaver . lube them with what you have bore butter,criso. lard i have even used syn. grease

nanuk
08-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I have even read where guys shoot the first boolit naked in a clean bore, as long as it shoots to point of aim, as the rest of them also.

I always foul my bore and have never tried a naked one, but may soon.

I also always swab between shots. Wet a patch with my tongue, work it down wet side out, then pull it and flip it, work it down dry side out, pull it and load immediately.

never had an issue with loading/misfires... nothing. I developed my hunting load doing this, so I know where the first shot goes!

(right through the lungs!!!)

giz189
08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
You might try the Lee Improved Minie in .50 cal also. It is a hard hitting boolit.