PDA

View Full Version : How do you figure how much a mold is worth?

Willyp
08-08-2011, 02:13 AM
How do you figure a fair price,to ask? And shipping ? I 've sold a couple of things and lost my butt on shipping !

Echo
08-08-2011, 02:43 AM
When possible, use the USPS Flat Rate boxes & envelope. The envelope, WHEN REINFORCED WITH VINYL PACKING TAPE. can handle odd-sized stuff, but the reinforcement is necessary - USPS can and will destroy packages if given a chance. Reinforcement on the boxes is not a bad idea, either, especially for very heavy contents.
As for price - the free market works! One would need to check on what other, similar, products have sold for, and make a decision from what the market says.

deltaenterprizes
08-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Don't include shipping in the price!

imashooter2
08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Flat rate works for most packages. With a good scale, you can weigh the package, go to UPS or USPS .com and use their postage calculators. If you want to use a single shipping charge, calculate the worst case (it will be Alaska or Hawaii). Otherwise say exact shipping and calculate what they owe when they give you a zip code.

Jack Stanley
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
What is fair to another isn't always fair to you and the reverse is true . I use flat rate boxes quite a bit and include that in the price of what I'm selling . Some things I sell just so someone else can get more use than I am from an object . Case in point is an old C-H loading press that was heavier than three dead moose and shipping was quite a bit for it . I generally watch the prices of stuff for sale here and price accordingly . I also tend to underdescribe the condition of stuff I have and the guys I've sold stuff to seem very happy with that . Since I don't post photos about all I can do is treat someone like I'd like to be treated .

Jack

stubshaft
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Flat rate works for most packages. With a good scale, you can weigh the package, go to UPS or USPS .com and use their postage calculators. If you want to use a single shipping charge, calculate the worst case (it will be Alaska or Hawaii). Otherwise say exact shipping and calculate what they owe when they give you a zip code.

Flat rate is exactly the same for Alaska and Hawaii.

MikeS
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
First off, USPS flat rate boxes are definitely the way to go for shipping. As for a fair price for a mould, that depends on a lot of different things. Who made the mould?, how many cavities does it have?, what condition is it in? A Lee six cavity mould won't be worth as much as a Lyman 4 cavity mould as an example. What kind of mould do you have?

imashooter2
08-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Flat rate is exactly the same for Alaska and Hawaii.

Yes they are. But not everything fits in a flat rate box. A scale with the postage calculator works for everything else.

rintinglen
08-11-2011, 01:26 AM
There are several flat rate boxes, running in price from $5.30 to 14.95 if I recall correctly. Unless you are shipping pianos, pool cues, or large machinery, you can probably find one to fit.

imashooter2
08-11-2011, 06:37 AM
There are several flat rate boxes, running in price from $5.30 to 14.95 if I recall correctly. Unless you are shipping pianos, pool cues, or large machinery, you can probably find one to fit.

A $14.95 flat rate box might not be the most economical option for a large, but light weight, object. They are handy and simple, but they are not panacea.

bobthenailer
08-11-2011, 06:53 AM
As a rule i usually sell used moulds in good condtion for somewhere between 50% - 40 % and excellent condtion moulds 25% less than the current selling price in discount catalogs ( not list prices )

xringdave
08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
You can go to ebay and see what molds like yours are selling for and base your price off that.
flat rate boxes are the way to go most times.