PDA

View Full Version : frustrated w/ ebay prices, so I ordered a new rockchucker

ksJoe
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
So I've got an old 3 hole lee turret press, and have used it for reloading and to slightly resize some 45 bullets.

Then I got a 45-70... The barrel slugged at .456, so the Lee .457 sizing die seemed about right for a starting point. But the Lee 405 HB mold was dropping out of round at .461-.464, and a few (my fault) up to .466. I'm using straight wheel weight lead (clip ons; I sorted out the stickies), so they're hard. I got two of them resized, afraid I was going to break the press. The third one I got half way through and it was going to take a lot more force. So I drove it back out and called it a day.

So I decided to get another press. I try to shop without a set budget (within reason). I look at the price/value across the offerings, and then decide what makes the most sense and if I want to spend the $ for it. So I have some harbor freight junk, and some high end stuff, based on my needs. I was looking at anything looking like heavy cast iron on ebay. From the old C shaped ones that sometimes go for around $30 delivered, to RCBS Jr's that tend to go for $60-$70 delivered. Everything I looked at, I'd think, well... if I'm going to spend this much, I might as well go a little more. I raised the bid of an old rock chucker to over 90, and still didn't get it. The new rock chucker supremes on Ebay often go for about the same price delivered as you can buy them from a regular online reloading place. Plus, if bought from a legit distributer, there is a rebate.

Anyway, there isn't much point to this post, other than I set out to buy a $30 cheap old boat anchor of a press, and ended up getting a $135 (-$10 rebate) rock chucker supreme.

I am amazed at the money people get out of these things on Ebay.

Oh, and thanks for all the reading material around here.

-Joe

Fireball 57
08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Sir: I bought a "Rock Chucker" back in the late '70's. I've loaded thousands of rifle and pistol ammo. I have enough components to lead a small insurgency. If primers become scarce or lead is restricted in private ownership, I will have enough for my grandchildren to shoot every day of their lives. Buy the press, load your own and never look back. Regards

101VooDoo
08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
ebay amazes me. People will pay near full price + for well used items (plus often outrageous shipping and 'handling'), when a quick internet search will find a new one for nearly the same cost.

Guess it's good if you're a seller.

What bums me out is the effect its had on the price of used books. Before ebay got big, when I was traveling I'd always make it a point to look for used book stores in cities I was in and you could always find very nice hardbacks for 7-9 dollars, usually with excellent to minty dustcovers. Now everything's thirty bucks with 5+ dollar shipping.

Oh well.

ksJoe
08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Guess it's good if you're a seller.

Yup. Its been a while, but I've been to a lot of live auctions. Some I'd like to buy at, some I'd like to sell at. You don't know which it will be until a bit after it starts. The prices on Ebay have come up over the years, and the fire sale bargains are getting harder to find.

I have gotten some amazing deals on Ebay by keeping an eye on the local listings. On some items the shipping can kill the price and make some real bargains slip though occasionally. I got paid well to upgrade my air compressor (buying a bargain on Ebay, then selling my lesser machine for more $ on craigslist).

Fireball - yeah, I know. For single stage presses, the rockchucker is "the one". Without a bargain to be found, I just surrendered and bought it.

I was hoping for a bargain to brag about, but had to settle for a fair deal on an excellent tool. There's nothing to complain about there.

seagiant
08-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Hi Joe,
I can safely say in the past 30 years of reloading I've probably have owned or tried 90% of the reloaders out there. I finally got tired of the progressives and sold my STAR and Dillions ,wanting to try the PW Metallic II. I kept waiting on E-Bay as the loader was $450 new and was hoping for a deal. After a week or so I said to hec with it I want it and have the money and ordered a new one! Two weeks later a gentleman on this forum seeing my post on my new loader said he had one he wanted to sale for half what the new one cost and I bought it!

All this to say that it's great to get a deal,no one enjoys that more than me, but in the long run and the enjoyment of some thing how much does it really matter?

cajun shooter
08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
There is a gene in all humans that tells you to never allow some one to beat you in a auction. E-Bay became so crazy that after about seven years of finding great deals , I quit my membership. When a person bids $85 for a two cavity Lyman mould plus shipping you know that something is wrong!!

Ben
08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
E Bay contrary to some opinions isn't " An ALL Good Thing ".

People's ego fuels the bidding wars. You know , " money will get you what you want."
The typical bidder gets lost in the shuffle.

I seldom waste my time with it anymore.

Ben

Chicken Thief
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
So I've got an old 3 hole lee turret press, and have used it for reloading and to slightly resize some 45 bullets.

Then I got a 45-70... The barrel slugged at .456, so the Lee .457 sizing die seemed about right for a starting point. But the Lee 405 HB mold was dropping out of round at .461-.464, and a few (my fault) up to .466. I'm using straight wheel weight lead (clip ons; I sorted out the stickies), so they're hard. I got two of them resized, afraid I was going to break the press. The third one I got half way through and it was going to take a lot more force. So I drove it back out and called it a day.

So I decided to get another press. I try to shop without a set budget (within reason). I look at the price/value across the offerings, and then decide what makes the most sense and if I want to spend the $ for it. So I have some harbor freight junk, and some high end stuff, based on my needs. I was looking at anything looking like heavy cast iron on ebay. From the old C shaped ones that sometimes go for around $30 delivered, to RCBS Jr's that tend to go for $60-$70 delivered. Everything I looked at, I'd think, well... if I'm going to spend this much, I might as well go a little more. I raised the bid of an old rock chucker to over 90, and still didn't get it. The new rock chucker supremes on Ebay often go for about the same price delivered as you can buy them from a regular online reloading place. Plus, if bought from a legit distributer, there is a rebate.

Anyway, there isn't much point to this post, other than I set out to buy a $30 cheap old boat anchor of a press, and ended up getting a $135 (-$10 rebate) rock chucker supreme.

I am amazed at the money people get out of these things on Ebay.

Oh, and thanks for all the reading material around here.

-Joe

Why cast a Hollow Base boolit so hard that you're guranteed no expansion?

Huntducks
08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
long time ebayer here 1997 but in the last 3 years or so you can count on both hands how many things I have bought in the reloading section the bidders are friggen nuts, but I have sold a lot and enjoy them nuts when someone pays $90+shipping for a production RCBS mold in 44 I shake my head but still take there $ a few months back I sold a 6c H&G (SD) for $376 it had something like 58 bids.

The last great deal I got was a RCBS 338 FL sizing die for a buck.

I won't buy anything that says i'm selling for a friend or bought at estate sale and I know nothing about reloading, anymore most turns out to be junk.

Ben
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I like the ones that won't show a photo of the mold cavity and offer a description that basically only lets you know the guy is selling a bullet mold and says " Looks like it is about 3/8 " in dia."

Brilliant ! ! Simply Brilliant ! !

garym1a2
08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
It is a good place to sell your excessive loading stuff. I got top dollar a couple years ago. Almost got what I paid for most stuff I sold. It turns out for me that most of the buyers where across the pond where reloading stuff is very expensive to buy or unobtainable.
I sold a lot of stuff to a guy in Italy, some to a buyer in France and one item in the neatherlands. It turns out even with very high shipping costs they can get the item on ebay and without ebay they cannot get any other way.

ksJoe
08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Why cast a Hollow Base boolit so hard that you're guranteed no expansion?

I have a friend with a tire shop. I can get wheel weights cheaply and easily. Pure lead is pretty scare.

With the HB, won't it still seal up ok?

Az Rick
08-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Joe , I hate to ask the obvious question but are you lubing your bullets some way before sizing them? If not you need to. Lee sizer dies need this. If you have sized many bullets in the die it may be leaded up, just like a barrel leading while shooting. That would cause you to have to use much more force sizing them.

Best Rick

ksJoe
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, I lubed them lee liquid alox. Since it was so hard, on one I tried sticking my finger in Jonson's paste wax, then wiping the die with it. It didn't help.

I appreciate the idea, even if it is obvious. I haven't been doing this very long. Just because something is obvious, doesn't mean I already know it [smilie=s:

Ben
08-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Joe,

You could have a die that is rough on the inside, creating additional friction.
You are also sizing that bullet a good bit. You might have better luck if you could
find a mold that would drop a .458 or .459 " bullet. Lee may swap out your mold with you,the dimensions you give for your cast bullets seem out of spec for a Lee mold ( .464" ).

Give them a phone call..............(262) 673-3075

Ben

L1A1Rocker
08-08-2011, 11:41 PM
For the most part Ebay is full of nuts buying used stuff for more than what new costs. HOWEVER, there are still a few good buys to be made. Just recently I bought a "vintage" (actually made somewhere around 95) Technics CD player for $10.00 plus reasonable shipping. I also bought a spare remote control that will work my complete Technics system for one cent - plus ten bucks for shipping.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. AND you really need to know what a product is going for if it is available new.

Pressman
08-09-2011, 06:57 AM
In the last three years eBay bidding on relaoding tools has shown a marked increase along with higher selling prices. I had thought that as the economy got worse bidding and prices would drop off but just the opposit has happened.

A lot of the older presses are selling in the 50-60 dollar range where they seldom got over 30 dollars a few years ago. My only explination is an increase in collector interest, though I do not see a coresponding increase in requests for information about the older tools. And it is not just presses, scales, trimmers and powder measure all show a steep increase in selling prices.

Of course it is always intertaining to read some of the descriptions.

Ken

Roundnoser
08-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I have done some buying and selling on E-bay. What kills me are the E-bay fees! Every month (seems like every couple of weeks), I get a notice from E-bay that they are taking their fees from my Paypal acct. Its 10 percent of whatever I've sold! Since the 10% fee has a cap, its the "little guy" who is getting ripped off!

I have changed my strategy...I like to sell my wares here on CB, and give the members a opportunity to buy my reloading stuff for a fair price. Then, if no one wants certain items, I'll list them on E-bay. I'd rather donate 10% of what I sell to this forum, then to give it to E-bay.

One other little point...All of us know that E-bay won't let you sell bullets, casings, etc. But, they have sponsor links at the bottom of each page (base on what your search criteria is) for vendors advertising bullets, and casings, etc. for sale!!! What BS! So you can't buy or sell bullets on E-bay, but E-bay will sell advertising space to vendors who sell bullets! ????

MikeS
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
eBay is a strange site. I've been buying & selling on eBay for years. About the only thing eBay is good for when buying is when buying stuff that's no longer made. When buying new stuff, you can usually get a better deal elsewhere. And really, the same holds true for any auction, including live auctions. I used to be an auctioneer, and we bought and sold leather working equipment, and you could never tell what items were going to bring a lot of money, and what wouldn't. A few years ago I was selling off the contents of a camera shop on eBay, and one item the owner of the shop had was some old roll film that was an odd size, and was probably expired by 30 years or so. I put them up on eBay, and we both expected to maybe get $2.00 per roll (he had 20 rolls), and they sold for $85 PER ROLL! That shocked both of us!

As for sellers descriptions of some reloading stuff, many of them haven't a clue what they're selling, so they describe things that don't matter, and don't mention things that do! I've seen sellers selling boolit moulds that tell you all the external dimensions, even telling you the size of the slots on the side, but don't tell you a thing about the cavities!

I used to sell used Sun Microsystems computers on eBay, and I was getting between 250.00 - 600 for a complete system, then some one at Sun decided that if they made it harder for people to buy used Sun computers, they would sell more new ones. Keep in mind, the systems I was selling for an average of $500.00 would sell new for $10,000.00, and I would say that 90% or more of the folks that bought from me were people that used Suns at work, and wanted one at home to learn on. Sun changed the licensing of their operating system (Solaris), so that you couldn't sell a computer with Solaris already installed on it. Anyone could go to www.sun.com and download the OS for free, but couldn't buy a used computer with it pre-installed! Well, my sales went dropped off to the point that if I got $50.00 for a system I was lucky! Almost overnight I went from having a 12'x30' storage unit full of computers that would make me money to having a storage unit full of junk!

So in the end, when you buy on eBay, you need to know what you're bidding on, if it's available new, make sure you know it's selling price, if it's not sold anymore check around to see what it should sell for, and don't get caught up in a bidding war!

Jack Stanley
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
A while back I was putting together a loading kit for my nephew . I got everything I needed but couldn't seem to find a used press locally . To me it didn't need to be anything fancy so I was looking at almost all the used presses . It seemed like when I found one that would work the price went to within twenty percent of new and I just wasn't going to go there .

Fortunately a friend of mine shook a RCBS press out of the bushes from one of his friends . Nice guy that he is he donated it to the cause .

Jack

ksJoe
08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
The press came yesterday, and I mounted it a few minutes ago. It definitely handles this resizing job a lot better.

BTW MikeS, I used to work for Sun Microsystems. I left a few months after Oracle ate it. I thought they should have called the combined company Snorcle (pronounced snorkel).

-Joe

MikeS
08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Joe:

I always kind of wished Apple would have bought Sun. I think that combination of technologies would have gone well together. I was selling Sparcstation 5's 10's & 20's and can't imagine how my selling those ancient systems would have hindered Sun's selling a $10k system one bit. But once I couldn't sell them with Solaris preinstalled, my sales went way off, as folks wanted systems that already had Solaris on them so they could use them to learn Solaris, not necessarily how to install Solaris! That was back when computers were still build to last. I used to clean Sun keyboards by putting them in the dishwasher on the top shelf, then letting them dry out for a few days. I tried doing that to a modern Apple keyboard, it while it got nice and clean, not one key worked! The really sad thing is that I must have installed Solaris on way over 100 machines (starting with 7, going thru 9), but due to my illnesses, and all the medications I take because of them, my memory isn't what it should be, and I can't remember how to even get a Solaris system working these days! I tried installing Solaris 10 for Intel on my Mac using one of the virtual machine applications (I can't even remember the name of the app) and didn't get too far with it. Oh well, at least I can still reload, and shoot :)

ksJoe
08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Sun went through a phase in the late 90's where it got way too arrogant towards its customers. If that's when you ran into a problem, I'm not surprised. That was before my time there. After being humbled, it scratched its way back up a bit as a nicer company. But we never really made money again. Oracle is also very arrogant towards its customers. But oracle controls the data, and thats a much harder layer to rip out and replace. So their customers don't have much choice but to pay up.

If you ever get the urge to play, the new Solaris is pretty slick with ZFS. I've got it running on a system in my basement, and on another at my parents house. It syncs the data back and forth so we both have off site backups.

I never thought I'd be talking about Sun on this site :)

HangFireW8
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
eBay is a fascinating subject because it is a running study in micro and macro economics.

Several years ago, when Meg "I can't believe I spent that much and lost the election" Whitman was running the show, she sent all of us small sellers an e-mail, which basically said go Power Seller or just go. Most of us just went, and we took all of our one of a kind, unique, old item stuff with us. That left most of eBay Power Sellers with mass market imported goods, which anyone can buy anywhere without the risk of using Paypal and their nearly nonexistent customer service (phone number? What's that?). eBay continued to shrink, but Meg held up profits by soaking the sellers with more paypal fees and making paypal mandatory for many types of transactions.

A curious thing happened, the remaining small sellers in strong niche eBay markets started seeing strong sales (offset by higher fees). I think it is because Meg drove off more sellers than buyers, so competition for the remaining unique items of small-sellers got fierce.

Many categories in eBay are now dead, dead, dead. Lots of listings and very little sales. However certain niche markets- like lightly used cell phones and reloading equipment- are very hot. Part of it has to do with outside competition (and/or lack thereof).

When eBay banned the sale of barrels, brass and bullets, it finally opened the doors up of competing gun auction sites to sell more than just guns. Ex-eBay gun auction site sellers quickly found out that any starting price less than list meant taking a big loss. The problem was there was Five (at my count) gun auction sites, and there were not enough concentrated bidders to bring many items up to full market value.

Once sellers caught on and started listing everything for the desired price, many buyers went back to eBay or split their time. So, outside of the actual gun categories, instead of auction sites, these gun-friendly "auction" sites are really sale price listing sites. None of them have the critical mass of buyers to safely list an item at 99 cents and see it go up to full market value.

RCBS (and Dillon) are a special subject because their used items come with essentially a new product warranty. In addition reloading items in general have inherit value. Throw in recent elections and politics and you have primer shortages in the mass market and crazy bidding on eBay.

Don't get me started on all that Sun Microsystems did wrong. It is a real shame to see the LPOD take them over.

Huntducks
08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Hangfire

You hit the nail on the head....

Ziptar
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know if it's the economy, the recent rise in commodities driving up loaded ammo costs or fear that the current administration is going to really push for gun restrictions. Whatever it is seems bidding activity and prices has gone way up for reloading equipment on eBay for sure. Just about everything can be had cheaper new elsewhere. I don't know if it's just demand or lots of novice reloaders.

A while back I put an old model Lee Challenger on eBay just after the breech locks came out. I was shocked to see it get 18 bids and close for just $10 less than a new breech lock. I don't think I'll list much of anything on eBay anymore, the fees keep changing and are already too high considering there are other outlets to sell stuff. Granted I may get more for something but now that they upped their fees and that PayPal takes a % on the shipping too. It's not worth it.

I still search for reloading stuff and can sometimes find a bargain. I make a pretty specific search with a pretty low maximum price and then plug it into my RSS feeder so only something worthwhile will pop up when it meets the search requirements . Saves me time of having to search eBay regularly and I don't have to wade through all the clutter they keep adding to eBay. Seems like with each "Enhancement" less and less screen space is actually devoted to the auctions themselves and theres more ads, banners, "you might also like" suggestions and other noise.

If something comes across my RSS feeder I'll put in a single low bid unless is something I can't live without and forget it. If I win good, if not, oh well there will always be more.

Just like reloading equipment as of late brass goes for crazy higher than new prices as well.

I periodically check gunbroker for 45 Colt brass. I don't win many auctions though. More often than not the bidding goes to $0.25 - $0.30 per case or more when including shipping for "Once Fired" brass. Thats way more than brand new Starline. Even after the price increase a couple months back I can get 1000 new Starline cases with free shipping for $0.17 each at my door.

I guess to each his own.

odfairfaxsub
08-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Joe,
I can safely say in the past 30 years of reloading I've probably have owned or tried 90% of the reloaders out there. I finally got tired of the progressives and sold my STAR and Dillions ,wanting to try the PW Metallic II. I kept waiting on E-Bay as the loader was $450 new and was hoping for a deal. After a week or so I said to hec with it I want it and have the money and ordered a new one! Two weeks later a gentleman on this forum seeing my post on my new loader said he had one he wanted to sale for half what the new one cost and I bought it!

All this to say that it's great to get a deal,no one enjoys that more than me, but in the long run and the enjoyment of some thing how much does it really matter?

i love that press you have, i hate progressive presses, this will deffinatly be better than a progressive in my opinion and contructed alot better than most turret presses

milprileb
08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Guys, you can find a deal now and then ... maybe . Like everything, if you are in the right place and time. However....at age 62, I don't regret buying a new RCBS Rock Chucker when I was 23 yrs old, nor Dillon 450 new at 180 bucks in 1984, nor my Dillon 650 at age 62 with C&R discount at Grafs for $450. Tools are value added in my life and well worth money even if I might not catch the deal of the century. Over time, tools paid for them selves.

That said: my dragging of feet and ignoring CO AX press for 40 plus years awaiting a deal on a used one was time wasted. Yes at age 62 I got a nice 90% condition CO AX for 80 bucks but you know... ebay or not, deals or not, sales or not...... I wasted 40 yrs that I could have just bought a new one and enjoyed it heck out of it.

There is a time for chasing bargains and a time to get the right tool and get on with life !

Snooze you lose ~!

1hole
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
"frustrated w/ ebay prices, so I ordered a new rockchucker "

Okay. ??

whd45
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
HangFire I agree with you.

howards
08-24-2011, 12:18 AM
The thing I hate about E-bay is the way they push Pay-pal....I like to pay with money orders and if you miss the fact that someone only takes Pay-pal then you will a big mass to deal with.

GabbyM
08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
RCBS Rock Chucker

After forty years of running a Rock Chucker I just this year figured out EP grease on the ram works much better than thin oil. Mine has actually developed a little play in it.

nhopper
09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
If you think eBay is a joke, try buying on Craigslist. It's totally intolerable. I bought some reloading stuff from a guy, but in the last 8 attempts to buy stuff from people it's gone to the point of being a futile effort.

One guy was selling primers. For MORE than Cabelas. 15% more. I ask another seller what brand dies he's selling. He replies, "yes." Another guy says he's selling powder and primers at a good price. We agree to meet so I can see it. The guy is a no show. Then he calls a day later and wants to know if he can come by my house. Are you kidding me?

I've had good luck shopping locally on Gunbroker. Most people will end the auction early and you can then avoid shipping.

I sell a few things a month on eBay. But between Paypal and eBay, who can afford it? They won't even let you list anything any longer with mention of check or money order as an option. Just not worth it.

There was one other auction site I tried, I forgot what the name was. Horrifying. All sellers, no buyers. All high prices. Forums like this are the best option. Which is interesting because back in the day eBay was supposed to kill off forums. Instead, it's crumminess has pushed people to them.

KohlerK91
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Dont forget the PAYPAL fees if you add them all up with Ebayfees I just say 15%. It getting real bad now they charge you a fee on the shipping charge. Example ....Shipping is 10.00 well the seller gets charged I think 10% on that too comes out to a buck. Yes I would say I always get top dollar for my stuff that I sell here but like others have said you end up giving most of the profit to Ebay. Dont even think about buying Boolit Mould on there anymore especially some of the H&G moulds. I sometimes wonder if the winning budder is real and do they actually for the item. They must want it a heck of a lot more than I do.

Ziptar
09-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I just came across this one on eBay...

Item# 320754892728 is a Lee Auto Prime, here's the description, in all its lovely ALL CAPS and mis-spelled glory (emphasis mine).

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RELOADING EQUIPMENT BUT HERE GOES. LEE AUTO PRIME IN BOX WITH PAPER, HAS BOTH LARGE AND SMALL PRIMERS. SMALL PIECES AS SHOWN. WITH INCREASE OF SHIPPING COST I DO MY BEST TO MAIL THE MOST COST EFFECIANT WAY FOR YOU, BUT I WANT YOUR PURCHASE TO ARRIVE SAFELY.

Here's the picture:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/7/7/9/4/1/webimg/503011777_o.jpg

I sent the seller a message through the "Ask seller a question" feature and explained what the "small pieces" are and pointed out thats its probably not only a good idea not to ship them along with the Lee Auto Prime but, that shipping them is against Postal Regulations. I could have just said nothing but the idea of the primers bouncing around in the box with all the auto prime parts just made me cringe.

PB234
09-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi Joe,

Seagiant - beautiful press. I use the more basic Posness Warren one and crave a Metal Matic II. Envy almost to the point of getting out my $ and ordering one.

X-man
09-15-2011, 09:38 PM
eBay used to be a good place to pick up hard to find items that I couldn't purchase locally for any price. I used to sell a fair bit of stuff on there as well. However, the fees and growing anti-small seller attitude caused me to essentially abandon it. The last time I went to list some items the only payment option I was permitted to list was Paypal. It was the final straw for me. I sell my stuff on several gun boards I belong to or locally for just as much as I would've gotten on eBay for the most part, once you factor in their hidden fees.