PDA

View Full Version : Lubing mold to the point of wrinkled boolits.

TinCan Assassin
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
So I started having problems with the spue plate screw coming undone when knocking the sprue off. After a couple of times re tightening the screw after every cast, I gave up, and looked up the problem on Lee's website. Turns out it needed more lube. So after the mold was cold, took off the sprue plate and I rubbed some 50/50 all on that screw, and a bit under the plate on the mold block. Got some extra lube on the alignment pins and v ribs too, for good measure. Even re-smoked it. And after that, I started making extra wrinkled boolits. Ever clean a hot mold with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip? Did finally start making some good ones again, but that was frustrating. :killingpc [smilie=b: Now, I just need more lead.

mooman76
08-07-2011, 11:53 PM
You don't have to take it apart to lube it especially with a good quality lube. I wouldn't use the 50/50 either. It builds up after awhile and isn't the best to begin with. Get some bull plate lube. It doesn't take much and you can apply it while hot and be sparing. Until you get some 2cycle oil will work.

MtGun44
08-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Boolit lube is BAD for mold lube, it burns on and builds up nasty guck. Buy some Bull Plate lube from The Bull Shop.

Bill

adrians
08-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Boolit lube is BAD for mold lube, it burns on and builds up nasty guck. Buy some Bull Plate lube from The Bull Shop.

Bill

use something desgned for the job,,, bull plate lube.
good stuff ,works fab.:evil::mrgreen::twisted:

Bret4207
08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
First off, stop smoking the mould. Clean moulds produce good boolits, smoking is a bandaid approach to fixing things. Read the posts on "Leementing". Second, if the screw is that loose you probably need to lock it with a set screw or stake it somehow. 3rd, don't use boolit lube. Bullshops lube is supposed to be THE STUFF, but simply rubbing the mould top and sprue plate bottom with a carpenters pencil will usually do the trick.

cajun shooter
08-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Your first fix is to install a set screw. The second is as the other posters have pointed out and that is the use of Bullplate lube. Bret 4207 it seems has not used the Bullplate or he would not have given his answer in the way he did. I am 64 and believe in giving credit where credit is due. Bullplate lube is the most hard working lube that I have ever used. When you add it to a sprue plate and start casting and 100 bullets later are saying that stuff can't still be working that good, you will also become a believer.
There is a forum member on CAS CITY that sells moulds for cowboy shooting. He was having all kinds of problems with the aluminum moulds becoming hot and the sprue plate binding. I turned him on to Bullplate lube and he now includes it with every mould he sells. In the world of casting I have yet to see any product that will even come close to it's performance. It also has another benefit. You may mix it with Beeswax and make a very good bullet lube that is called speed green. It works quite well for smokeless loads.

Bret4207
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Cajun, no argument on Bullplate and absolutely no offense to Dan or his product was intended. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it and figured Tin Can probably didn't have any either, hence, a pencil works in a pinch or if you don't have Bullplate.

runfiverun
08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
there's a sticky on leementing, it'll help you with the issues you got.