PDA

View Full Version : a good Quality barrel for a .45ACP?

Link23
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
okay guys ive been asking around im on a VERY TIGHT budget and i just ringed my 45 commander barrel, so im looking for a good replacement that will get me some good results anyone know anything?

Thanks
Link23

David2011
08-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Do you need a drop in or can you fit a barrel? If you want a drop-in, Evolution Gun Works has some Storm Lake barrels with bushings for about $120. These are good barrels. He made them as the OEM Sig 1911s.

http://www.egwguns.com/barrels/storm-lake-machine-gsr-comm-4.25-barrel-and-sig-bushing-45acp/

I bought a 5" SIG barrel from EGW for one of my 1911s. It needed a little work on the edge where the ramp met the chamber. It was a sharp machined edge and had to be radisued for smooth feeding. The radius can be formed with wet-or-dry sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel if you don't have Cratex abrasive points. It shot 5 shots in a little over 3" at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest with cast boolits. Not top notch match grade but better than I can shoot offhand.

David

Link23
08-07-2011, 10:58 PM
wow that sounds like a great barrel, i might have to look into that, being as this is my CCDW gun i need a decent barrel

Link23

bobthenailer
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
I also recomend the Storm Lake drop in match barrels !
If youre handy with guns you could get a Kart Ez fit match barrel but you would have to also get there fitting kit for about $40.00 + the price of the barrel .
Ive installed 2 Kart EZ Fits myself . it takes me about 2 hours to fit, with the satisfaction that i did it myself !
I have a Storm Lake drop in match barrel with there compensator . excellent barrel !
I also have 2 Clarks and 2 Nowlins match barrels installed by gunsmiths .

baker1425
09-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Depending on how tight money is, there's always trolling for a colt take out on another forum.

I'd recommend against the cheap route, like a Sarco Roto barrel. A lot depends on if your 1911 is ramped vs. non ramped on price.

If Storm Lake is within your means, I'd go that route.