PDA

View Full Version : Berthier gurus?

Stevie
08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I own a 07/15 longrifle 3 shot version of the French Berthier. This particular old rifle is not 'N' stamped on the barrel.

Something I've noticed about my Berthier is that the striker-spring is extremely heavy..The rifle requires some effort to open the bolt against the spring(cocks on opening)..and that it's virtually impossible to manually cock the striker.

I took the bolt apart...cleaned and inspected the internals...looked the mainspring over for originality..etc. Bolt works fine...feeds and fires fine. It has a original looking spring that's pretty powerful...all looks perfectly servicable and original.

Just how powerful should a Berthier mainspring be?

Is the spring so potent because of the capped primers some 8mm Lebel ammo is equipped with?

Thanx

gew98
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Typical frendh rifle of the period...surefire ignition. The Lebel is no different.

looseprojectile
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I have a rather nice Remington 07-15 and it cocks hard and the spring is near a hundred years old. Was probably made for a young man to operate.
No serial number and no proofs and no "N".
Have a box of Remington ammo, red and green box and have one clip.
Have not shot it.

Life is good

Stevie
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I have two three-shot clips....I'm told the 5 shot M16 clips will work..with 3 rounds and the rest of the clip hanging out the bottom.

I use Graf's brass and Sierra 175gr soft-point bullets to load a pretty modest velocity 8mm Lebel cartridge

67bear
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I've got a 07/15 St. Etienne. No import marks, 3 shot. No "N" stamp. The butt plate and barrel bands on mine were chromed at some point. I only have one clip. Mine takes some effort to open too. I just picked up some Sierra 175's To shoot in it. Still need to get some brass though. Would you mind sharing your load? What kind of accuracy/velocity are you getting? I do have an old box of Remington Kleenbore, but don't want to shoot it up.

Stevie
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
The accuracy with the few cartridges I've reloaded in the caliber is very good. Velocity?..no idea...I would guess 2000-2100fps

I've been using the .323 175gr bullets and 40gr of IMR4895....I would start small and work up to the above load...case capacity may vary as does powder lots.

67bear
08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks Stevie. I plan on starting light, just wanted an idea of what others are using.

Four Fingers of Death
08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
The accuracy with the few cartridges I've reloaded in the caliber is very good. Velocity?..no idea...I would guess 2000-2100fps

I've been using the .323 175gr bullets and 40gr of IMR4895....I would start small and work up to the above load...case capacity may vary as does powder lots.

I thought that the 8mm Lebel had a much bigger bore. I have a Lee 8mm mould, I was considering using them unsized and paper patched to start with.

Whats the accuracy like with the 323 jacketed bullets?

Stevie
08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I've just loaded a very few cartridges in the caliber...but yes..accuracy seemed very good with standard .323 8mm bullets.

The bits and pieces of reloading info you find indicate .323 or thereabouts bore diameter. I had tried to slug the bore on the Berthier..but had/have no suitable driving dowel to puch a slug through 3 feet of barrel.

What mold do you have?....I have developed some interest in casting small bore bullets, but don't know didly squat about gas checks and the like.

gew98
08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
The Lebel & Berthier rifles I had when I formed brass from 348 win and slugged the bores where all .325 - .327" ( favoring .327") , much like the 95 Steyr straight pullers.

Four Fingers of Death
08-14-2011, 10:48 PM
the bores where all .325 - .327" ( favoring .327").

327 is a good number in Chevy engines, but a bit big for my standard Lee mould, lol.

windy
12-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I've recently acquired a carbine in 3-shot config. that has been "pimped" up to be an African-style sporter, with a custom, nicely checkered stock, double set trigger and two-leaf rear "express" sights. It shot fairly well with 170 Speer .323's and 42.5gr of H4895 (should be about 2150-2200 ft/sec. or so) but it really loves the Hornady 195gr sp's with about 45.5 gr of the H4895--shoots about 3-4" from the bench at 100 yds and both loads regulate the same on the low rear sight blade with the front sight I made for it; had to build one from pieces and JB Weld, since the German-looking ramp had a longitudinal dovetail I couldn't match and the previous owner broke the custom one. Recoil's a bit more vigorous with the 195's, but since the stock was short for me, I put on a slip-on pad that tames it pretty good. I also made some loads with 196gr RWS H-mantles and the same powder; if I shoot something I want to eat I'll use the Hornadys and if it's something I just don't like I can blow it apart with the H's. T'ain't original, and "pretty" is in the eye of the beholder, but it's apt to be my go-to brush gun; that set trigger really improves my offhand shots. Now to find out where the high leaf shoots--just for drill; I don't think I'll be using it for anything much past 150, which should be POA.
mind yer topknots!
windy

"sonny, whar I growed up 'magnum' wuz anuther name fer 'lousy hunter'!"

Dschuttig
12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I've got a 1917 1907-15 St. Etienne 5 shot rifle in near mint cond. It has a spring that I can't cock by hand and the bore slugs at .327.

frnkeore
12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Could someone post a picture of one of these rifles so, I know what is being talked about?

Frank

Dschuttig
12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=260550355

The metal magazine extension on the bottom was designed to convert the 1907-15 "3 shot" to 1916 "5 shot" configuration. Go figure, who wouldn't want a 3 shot clip rifle in battle?

frnkeore
12-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Thank you, very much for the link to the pictures. Now I know what your talking about. I've seen them and reconize that they are French and now I know what their name is :) Kinda homely but they look well built.

They must have come out before the 40 round AK's :)

Frank

Four Fingers of Death
12-07-2011, 02:13 AM
They much have come out before the 40 round AK's :) Frank

Yep, a few years earlier!

This is a St Eitnne with 5 shot conversion;

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Military%20shooting/BerthierM16Rifle.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Military%20shooting/BerthierM16Rifle2.jpg

KCSO
12-11-2011, 02:33 AM
I loaded a lot of 8MM Lebel for my Lebel's and Dad's Berthier and usually sized my bullets at 324 with good results. I was shooting 12.5 of Red Dot and the Lee 204 bullet made for the M95 and sized down to 324. Every one of there bustards I have handled had a spring stout enough to put on a Mack truck. I never shot the Brethier much as there were full military and I couldn't get use to the goofy French sights. My Lebel's were sporters and had Lyman sights.

jonk
12-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Mine isn't that hard to operate. Is it as smooth as a 1903? No. But it isn't a bear either.

Mine slugs at .325. I had a .327" sizing die made up, push through affair. I size in my .332 lube-sizer die and then run through the push through.

The only thing is the neck size. I ordered an extra decapping rod from Lee for their 8X56 R set and chucked it in the drill with some sandpaper to remove a few thousandths of an inch, then popped that in the Lebel die. Quite a bit of rod protrudes from the top, but otherwise it works fine. I also had to open up the neck of the Lebel die a tad with some emery paper. What I did was cut a slit in a length of brass rod, then stick the emery paper in that and spin in the die neck. All done in a few minutes, then some JB bore paste on a cloth to polish things up, clean and use.

While the spring is undoubtedly part of the issue, the various surfaces of the bolt and sear probably are a bit rough too. I'd look at lightly polishing them all and lubricating with a good synthetic grease- just a dab here and there.

Dschuttig
12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Kinda homley?

I always thought that mine loooks pregnant. Some day it's going to give birth to baby berthiers and I'll make a fortune selling them.....:p

Thank you, very much for the link to the pictures. Now I know what your talking about. I've seen them and reconize that they are French and now I know what their name is :) Kinda homely but they look well built.

They must have come out before the 40 round AK's :)

Frank