PDA

View Full Version : Recovered lead shot?

kshock
08-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I have been reading posts that mention recovered lead shot as a source of lead. How in the world does one recover lead shot from a range?

clodhopper
08-07-2011, 11:28 AM
By useing screens to sift out large stuff you do not want and let out small stuff you do not want.
The shot concentration is much richer at trap fields.

NuJudge
08-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I have seen two methods: One involves an enormous machine that scrapes off the top 1 or 2 inches of dirt and puts it into a high speed vertical airstream that has been adjusted such that dirt gets blown out the top, and Lead & pebbles end up below in a catchbin. The other involves scraping off the top 1 or 2 inches of dirt and taking it to a stationary levitation machine.

The Lead shot may then be cleaned and/or graphited. If it has not at least been cleaned, it gums up a MEC pretty quick.

One is well advised to pour reclaimed shot past a strong magnet, to catch any steel shot.

CDD

Junior1942
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
My ~400 lbs came from a carnival shooting gallery. It's a little softer than wheelweights. The #6 pellets are flat on one side from hitting an iron backstop, but reloaded in 12 ga shells they pattern only slightly worse than new shot. But I use it 99.99% for pistol & rifle bullets.